Callaway RAZR Hawk & Octane Drivers Explained

I hit the Razr Hawk tour driver today 9.5* with the RIP shaft stiff. Great driver, the sound was what I have become to expect from Callaway and sounds similar to the Edge tour I am playing now, I was seeing on the monitor 105 mph average 3200 rpms and 255 carry average 265 total. I'm not a huge fan of the RIP shaft as it seems a lot are, but it worked fine in this driver and the numbers I was seeing were good. I then quickly left Golftown with some golf balls before I did a very bad thing.

I hit the Razr Hawk tour driver today 9.5* with the RIP shaft stiff. Great driver, the sound was what I have become to expect from Callaway and sounds similar to the Edge tour I am playing now, I was seeing on the monitor 105 mph average 3200 rpms and 255 carry average 265 total. I'm not a huge fan of the RIP shaft as it seems a lot are, but it worked fine in this driver and the numbers I was seeing were good. I then quickly left Golftown with some golf balls before I did a very bad thing.

I assume it was giving you better #'s than the DE Tour you have in the bag now?

While I was getting one of the Mashies regripped yesterday I was watching/listening to a guy hitting the Razr Hawk driver....the sound is the same as a Callaway driver has always sounded but yet it was different too. Almost had a nice metallic pop to it? The guy was getting a consistent, high ball flight that was giving him an almost automatic 225 carry with tight shot dispersion. The look on his face said it all and he was going to get fit for a shaft next to go into the Razr Hawk that he was going to buy right then in there. His old driver? A FT-9 that he said the Razr Hawk absolutely blew away in terms of feel, etc. Sounds like Callaway has a hit on their hands and I can't wait to hit it sometime soon before the Outing.

While I was getting one of the Mashies regripped yesterday I was watching/listening to a guy hitting the Razr Hawk driver....the sound is the same as a Callaway driver has always sounded but yet it was different too. Almost had a nice metallic pop to it? The guy was getting a consistent, high ball flight that was giving him an almost automatic 225 carry with tight shot dispersion. The look on his face said it all and he was going to get fit for a shaft next to go into the Razr Hawk that he was going to buy right then in there. His old driver? A FT-9 that he said the Razr Hawk absolutely blew away in terms of feel, etc. Sounds like Callaway has a hit on their hands and I can't wait to hit it sometime soon before the Outing.

The sound is definitely awesome! It has that Callaway thud, but when you crack one dead on the screws, it does offer that nice metallic sound you described.

I love this driver. Every single thing about it is right-on for me. I never hit the FT-9, but did demo the FT Tour last year and it's very similar to that driver. I think the Razr Hawk is a bit longer for me though.

The sound was like a Siren's song man. I couldn't stop watching him hit balls....the thing was just plain automatic. Definitely intrigued by this stick, I think I need to hit it before the outing so I can join in on the Razr Hawk talk and relay first hand experience.
The sound is definitely awesome! It has that Callaway thud, but when you crack one dead on the screws, it does offer that nice metallic sound you described.

I love this driver. Every single thing about it is right-on for me. I never hit the FT-9, but did demo the FT Tour last year and it's very similar to that driver. I think the Razr Hawk is a bit longer for me though.

The sound was like a Siren's song man. I couldn't stop watching him hit balls....the thing was just plain automatic. Definitely intrigued by this stick, I think I need to hit it before the outing so I can join in on the Razr Hawk talk and relay first hand experience.

Can't hurt to go and hit something so you can be more active on the forum talk, lol.

It's the straightest I've ever hit the ball off the tee.

I assume it was giving you better #'s than the DE Tour you have in the bag now?

It was the same for launch angle and SS, ball speed was faster off the face, of the Razr tour and spin rate was better. Overall about 5-8 yards longer than the DE Tour.

It was the same for launch angle and SS, ball speed was faster off the face, of the Razr tour and spin rate was better. Overall about 5-8 yards longer than the DE Tour.

Always good to see those sort of increases with an identical laungh angle and swing speed huh?

Always good to see those sort of increases with an identical laungh angle and swing speed huh?

Ya, now this is just on a launch monitor so ball flight is hard to judge but the face is hot and the ball was just flying off it.

Ya, now this is just on a launch monitor so ball flight is hard to judge but the face is hot and the ball was just flying off it.

For me the ball flight was just phenomenal. Nice, low/mid ball flight, that just cut through the wind.

For me the ball flight was just phenomenal. Nice, low/mid ball flight, that just cut through the wind.

Thats awesome this is one of the sticks I'm really excited to hit at the outing. Do you think it would work well with your Kusala Black?

Thats awesome this is one of the sticks I'm really excited to hit at the outing. Do you think it would work well with your Kusala Black?

Probably. But what I was seeing with the RIP, I'm not sure I'd change a thing. The RIP doesn't give me near the feedback that the Kusala does, but it's still nice. It feels more "boardy" of that makes sense?

I put the Razr Hawk in play this week after it kicked out the 910 D2 - I have nothing bad to say about the Titleist, it's just that the RH is a better driver for my game. My ball flight came down to a mid trajectory, the dispersion is far tighter and the club is more forgiving across the entire face. 4 rounds with it so far and loving it, 2 more this weekend. I'm tempted to pick up the RH 3-wood as well.

Probably. But what I was seeing with the RIP, I'm not sure I'd change a thing. The RIP doesn't give me near the feedback that the Kusala does, but it's still nice. It feels more "boardy" of that makes sense?

Interesting, I've never been a huge fan of the RIP even though everyone else seems to like it. Yesterday I couldn't really "feel" the shaft if that makes sense, I had no idea if it was loading properly, I knew the shaft was there of course but I wasn't getting any feedback from it. The numbers say it was doing pretty good though.

I put the Razr Hawk in play this week after it kicked out the 910 D2 - I have nothing bad to say about the Titleist, it's just that the RH is a better driver for my game. My ball flight came down to a mid trajectory, the dispersion is far tighter and the club is more forgiving across the entire face. 4 rounds with it so far and loving it, 2 more this weekend. I'm tempted to pick up the RH 3-wood as well.

I've only briefly demo'd the 910 myself, but as of right now, the RH may be the best driver I've hit in a long time. I saw similar things to you: lower ball flight, a straight ball, and more distance than I perceived off the tee box.

I've only briefly demo'd the 910 myself, but as of right now, the RH may be the best driver I've hit in a long time. I saw similar things to you: lower ball flight, a straight ball, and more distance than I perceived off the tee box.

That sums it up - I had more of the same today back in NC. I was hesitant to buy this club but I'm glad I did.

That sums it up - I had more of the same today back in NC. I was hesitant to buy this club but I'm glad I did.

Good stuff, now update your signature, haha

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

I saw a Razr Hawk in person for the first time today and was very impressed. I didn't get a chance to hit it, but the RIP stiff shaft waggled perfectly, and the head looked perfect to my eye. Absolutely beautiful combination.

I saw a Razr Hawk in person for the first time today and was very impressed. I didn't get a chance to hit it, but the RIP stiff shaft waggled perfectly, and the head looked perfect to my eye. Absolutely beautiful combination.

Well it performs as well as it looks so be prepared to buy after you demo buddy.

I will say that after seeing all the new Razr lines (Driver, FW, Irons) in person...I would be very excited to be a Callaway staffer at the Morgan Cup.

I will say that after seeing all the new Razr lines (Driver, FW, Irons) in person...I would be very excited to be a Callaway staffer at the Morgan Cup.

It certainly wouldn't hurt my feelings, that's for sure. I love the look of the Razr X Tour irons.

It certainly wouldn't hurt my feelings, that's for sure. I love the look of the Razr X Tour irons.

I'm sure those irons perform but I did not like how they looked. The Razr Hawk tour driver however is just awesome looking.

I agree, the Razr X Tours were sweet looking.

Dear Razr Hawk,

It appears as though it was meant to be. I've thought of nothing but you since our first dance and I have to tell you, I'm excited that we will be reunited again. We'll slay biggsy's little lamb, and celebrate with our Team Hackers Brethren!

See you soon,

TC

Dear Razr Hawk,

It appears as though it was meant to be. I've thought of nothing but you since our first dance and I have to tell you, I'm excited that we will be reunited again. We'll slay biggsy's little lamb, and celebrate with our Team Hackers Brethren!

See you soon,

TC

Thats sweet, I'm sure you too will be a match made in heaven. Did you let the CB's know that it is just not meant to be?

Back