Cleveland Mashie Review - Testers Thread

Had the mashie out at the range today, I was really there to just hit irons but I hit 10 balls in a row with the Mashie all 10 were straight as an arrow with a beautiful ball flight, smiling I put it away for the rest of the day.

Mashie is regripped and ready to go for tomorrow morning. I did notice something very unusual when I cut the grip off.... even with grip being very thin they still had to build up bottom part (not the butt end) of the grip. That is the first club I've ever seen built up being new.

I hit a M1 at PGA SS. I did not notice the extra length at all. The Mashie has a different feel to me off mats but distance seemed off some from what I expected. I need to see this one outside. Hopefully it gets here soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A little followup on hitting the mashies today... if you struggle at all with losing the ball right (as a right hander ) the mashie is anti slice. If anything, I find myself guarding against over cooking a draw with this club.

And the shaft is just excellent. So smooth, resists twisting, really helps maximize ballspeed. And I just never get tired of that impact sound. Really looking forward to the spring weather and many more opportunities to hit these beautiful sticks.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

A little followup on hitting the mashies today... if you struggle at all with losing the ball right (as a right hander ) the mashie is anti slice. If anything, I find myself guarding against over cooking a draw with this club.

And the shaft is just excellent. So smooth, resists twisting, really helps maximize ballspeed. And I just never get tired of that impact sound. Really looking forward to the spring weather and many more opportunities to hit these beautiful sticks.
I plan to hit the Mashie but I fight the lefts not the rights, looking at the offset I am scared that it might be a hook machine for me.

I plan to hit the Mashie but I fight the lefts not the rights, looking at the offset I am scared that it might be a hook machine for me.

I think you should be ok. The shaft really helps square the clubhead in my opinion. As TC talked about earlier, its easy to inadvertently set up with a slightly closed face. Avoid that and I think you'll be fine.

I do as well and I agree with G4L on this one. The shaft is fantastic and really stays extremely stable throughout the swing. One thing I can say, is today my Mashie miss was right. More a push but you can lose this one right. Even when I go right I don't see it curving right at the tail end of the ball flight.

Great points G4L, As a lefty who fears a push left, and plays a fade, this club is left proof for me, when I miss its right, and I don't mind that.

Man this mashie is getting good reviews. not sure it can take my 5DX out of the bag but I'm gonna have to check it out.

For those that aren't seeing this club put a slice into play do you normally fight a push or slice? I usually fight a pull/hook and I'm putting this out to the right at times haha.

For those that aren't seeing this club put a slice into play do you normally fight a push or slice? I usually fight a pull/hook and I'm putting this out to the right at times haha.

I used to fight a slice, which has been corrected, and now I fight a push, when I miss with the mashie now it is a pull.

And the shaft is just excellent. So smooth, resists twisting, really helps maximize ballspeed.

You know, that's spot on and it's also why I'm having trouble with it I think. The torque is spot on for me but Miyazaki's in general like a nice, smooth stroke (I found this with the Blue and Black Kusala's) which is something I don't have. Sometimes a heavier shaft helps but I'm finding the Kua much like the Devotion in needing to be a smooth operator. I however, am still very violent through the transition which isn't helping things.

I'm of half a mind to stick a Kai'li or whiteboard in the heads. We'll see on Friday...

You know, that's spot on and it's also why I'm having trouble with it I think. The torque is spot on for me but Miyazaki's in general like a nice, smooth stroke (I found this with the Blue and Black Kusala's) which is something I don't have. Sometimes a heavier shaft helps but I'm finding the Kua much like the Devotion in needing to be a smooth operator. I however, am still very violent through the transition which isn't helping things.

I'm of half a mind to stick a Kai'li or whiteboard in the heads. We'll see on Friday...

Im curious where you found this information? Or was it just trial and error? Here is a quote from a recent conversation with Miyazaki on this very subject.

"While lighter shafts can ask for a smooth stoke, I am not sure our shafts are built for that, in fact based on the industry as a whole and comparing it with our numbers, I would say that a Miyazaki could in fact help someone get back to square better than other brands. It becomes more about fitting at that point and unfortunately many golfers feel as though they know their swing well enough that fitting is not needed."

I think you should be ok. The shaft really helps square the clubhead in my opinion. As TC talked about earlier, its easy to inadvertently set up with a slightly closed face. Avoid that and I think you'll be fine.

I do as well and I agree with G4L on this one. The shaft is fantastic and really stays extremely stable throughout the swing. One thing I can say, is today my Mashie miss was right. More a push but you can lose this one right. Even when I go right I don't see it curving right at the tail end of the ball flight.
Thanks for the heads up guys on what to watch for, I plan to hit one very soon at the demo day at OG's & KellyBo's home course on the 19th.

I got a few swings in with golf4lifes Mashie M1 yesterday. Even though it was a x flex it still had that great Mashie feel and sound to it. And it wasnt any harder to hit then the other Mashies I have. I didnt hit well in the SIM with hitting out of a worn out like divot but came away impressed with the Mashie yet again.

This is very true, I had a not so fun time installing the grip on the mashie, once I did it I was happy but that was the longest 10 minutes of the week trying to get that grip on with tape build up. Anyone who is thinking of regripping the mashie should not use tape buildup but by a midsize if thats what their looking for. THat was not fun.
Hi everyone. I just joined THP specifically for the discussion about the Cleveland Mashie and Ultralite woods. Very interested in these.

I have a question/comment about regripping. Given that the shaft thickness is 0.650, wouldn't installing a standard grip with a 0.600 core result in an over all thicker grip size, approximately 0.050 thicker than standard? Would installing a standard grip with a 0.580 core produce an even thicker overall grip (if it's even possible to stretch the grip enough to get it on)? Or is there enough thinning of the grip from stretching that it comes out about the same?

I personally need a thicker grip, and it looks like the Lamkin replacement grips for Cleveland (both the Superlite Reminder and the Miyazaki PP Round) are not available in midsize or oversize, so am trying to understand the best way to get my desired grip thickness while maintaining the balance and weight.

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I just joined THG specifically for the discussion about the Cleveland Mashie and Ultralite woods. Very interested in these.

I have a question/comment about regripping. Given that the shaft thickness is 0.650, wouldn't installing a standard grip with a 0.600 core result in an over all thicker grip size, approximately 0.050 thicker than standard? Would installing a standard grip with a 0.580 core produce an even thicker overall grip (if it's even possible to stretch the grip enough to get it on)? Or is there enough thinning of the grip from stretching that it comes out about the same?

I personally need a thicker grip, and it looks like the Lamkin replacement grips for Cleveland (both the Superlite Reminder and the Miyazaki PP Round) are not available in midsize or oversize, so am trying to understand the best way to get my desired grip thickness while maintaining the balance and weight.

Having regripped one Mashie now and with another on the way I can tell you my struggles and what I plan to do. First welcome to THP. Second, I used a standard Winn lite grip and built it up with tape to get to midsize with tape and this was not a good idea, while I got the grip on eventually it stretched thin and does feel good but it is not a good idea. For me new M2 that is on the way, a winn lite midsize will be installed.

There was a post early in this thread asking about "bendability" of the Mashie, but didn't see the answer. I was fitted about a year ago for new MX-300 irons, and the fitting result were +1/4" length and 2* upright (I'm 6'4 with relatively short arms and legs for that height). I know the shaft is longer than typical, so I'm not too concerned about that, but wonder if the lie angle can be adjusted through bending, or if there is a custom order option for that. The reviews and comments here have been so overwhelmingly positive, but lack of lie angle adjustment might be a deal breaker.

There was a post early in this thread asking about "bendability" of the Mashie, but didn't see the answer. I was fitted about a year ago for new MX-300 irons, and the fitting result were +1/4" length and 2* upright (I'm 6'4 with relatively short arms and legs for that height). I know the shaft is longer than typical, so I'm not too concerned about that, but wonder if the lie angle can be adjusted through bending, or if there is a custom order option for that. The reviews and comments here have been so overwhelmingly positive, but lack of lie angle adjustment might be a deal breaker.

Yes you can get lie angles adjusted by ordering through Cleveland.

you have to be pondering this now...you swung that well yesterday
I got a few swings in with golf4lifes Mashie M1 yesterday. Even though it was a x flex it still had that great Mashie feel and sound to it. And it wasnt any harder to hit then the other Mashies I have. I didnt hit well in the SIM with hitting out of a worn out like divot but came away impressed with the Mashie yet again.

you have to be pondering this now...you swung that well yesterday

Yes I am. I just might have a 1,2, 3 Mashie bag.

Having regripped one Mashie now and with another on the way I can tell you my struggles and what I plan to do. First welcome to THP. Second, I used a standard Winn lite grip and built it up with tape to get to midsize with tape and this was not a good idea, while I got the grip on eventually it stretched thin and does feel good but it is not a good idea. For me new M2 that is on the way, a winn lite midsize will be installed.
Thanks for the welcome and the response. Sounds like your impression is that the stretching of the grip pretty much negates the difference in core size.

Im curious where you found this information? Or was it just trial and error? Here is a quote from a recent conversation with Miyazaki on this very subject.

Trial and error so far. My best results are when I drop my tempo as slow as possible which isn't comfortable for me.

I entirely agree with the part about fitting. I however attempted to do it anyway as no one locally knows anything about the shafts. A fitter tried to match the flex codes to be something similair that works now but it's perfect. I don't think the tweaking helped though and I'm going to have to wait to see someone who knows these shafts quite well before I go back to them.

Again, I have nothing against it, I just can't get it to work for me as of yet. That it works for so many others means it's something in my swing rather then the club it self. That doesn't make it any less of a frustrating experience though espcially when I keep hearing about everyone else's awesome experiences.

After my range session today I went inside to see if the M1 was still on the floor. Sure enough it was so I decided to have them tape it up for me. They only had it in a Regular flex, but I didn't care I needed to get my mashie on! I was really surprised how easy the M1 was to hit. I don't know why, but I did not expect it. I hit about 20-25 balls and only a select few were bad shots. For the most part the ball flew nice and high with it and carried a good distance. My current 3 wood goes about 220ish and I would say if it was 30 outside this club would have covered that distance with ease. With the cold weather and cold range balls I was still getting over 200 yards with no problem. I am seriously pondering this option.

Back