Are "golf" polos cut differently?

Badger_Golfer

Reaction score
Handicap
Ive always just worn standard polos because of the price ($20 vs $50) but Ive always been annoyed by the fact that standard polos are always either so tight in the shoulders or if I go a size bigger they fit me in the arms and shoulders well but the rest of it is way too baggy.
Are golf polos cut differently? Im would imagine they are because they are designed for a specific activity instead of being designed as casual wear but Im curious.

First off, you may want to check a few places like discounters and other stores for golf shirts made of technical material. They can be far cheaper than $50 and even as low as $15 at places on sale. As to the cut, that is done by brand just like regular shirts. For instance non-golf polo shirts will have some brands with longer sleeves and more of a straight cut and some brands with a more athletic fit and shorter sleeves.

Most of our apparel reviews on the home page talk about fit and how they work for most people.

Yes they are or at least the few I have are. I normally wear a medium to large in polo's and in golf polo's I wear a small. They are longer and wider from my experience.

Yes they are or at least the few I have are. I normally wear a medium to large in polo's and in golf polo's I wear a small. They are longer and wider from my experience.

I have found the same thing in certain brands, I think it's a flexibility concern for when you tuck your shirt in. The extra fabric around the belly area allows for a little more flexibility.

Im guessing you are usually wearing "larger" brands? I dont mean by size, I mean such as Nike, adidas, Ashworth, Antigua, etc..?

Because MANY brands we have reviewed are the exact opposite.

I have found the same thing, I think it's a flexibility concern for when you tuck your shirt in. The extra fabric around the belly area allows for a little more flexibility.

See my question above to PL. Same thing if you dont mind.

Im guessing you are usually wearing "larger" brands? I dont mean by size, I mean such as Nike, adidas, Ashworth, Antigua, etc..?

Because MANY brands we have reviewed are the exact opposite.

Yeah most of my polo's are either Nike, Under Armor, or Izod

See my question above to PL. Same thing if you dont mind.

yea sorry. should have been more clear. I choose to buy the brands that make their sizes larger for the flexibility and comfort. My GF says I look 10 pounds heavier when I wear such baggy shirts but I'm comfortable and I tell her its so the cart girls will stop following me. :D

Yeah most of my polo's are either Nike, Under Armor, or Izod

Gotcha, that makes sense then. Many of the larger brands are cut large (for American fit). We find those very similar to many regular polos and sometimes slightly larger. However TONS of the apparel we review on the home page is the exact opposite. Athletic cut, and something that many would love if they prefer less material on the sleeves and stomach.

Some companies are different than others. My Nikes fit well

Sooooo, are there any brands that typically accomodate people who are larger in the arms and shoulders? Or is it just something where I need to just go and try them on?
Theres an outlet mall not far from where I live that has an Adidas and a Nike outlet store, so I might have to take a trip up there sometime.
BTW, thanks for the input everyone. I knew Id get some good responses on this site regarding apparel. You guys take apparel just as seriously as you do equipment. :good:

Nike Dri-Fit shirts are pretty roomy, imo.

Both Nike and adidas will be pretty roomy in the shoulders. So will Antigua and many other traditional brands. Cleveland Classics, Peter Millar, etc...

Regarding price, I was at Marshall's today and picked up three golf polos...with the "dri-fit" kind of material...for $14.99 each. They were originally $50.00 each.

Nike Dri-Fit shirts are pretty roomy, imo.

2nd'd. I find them more comfy across the shoulders than most others.

insert witty sig line here. Tapatalk

Regarding price, I was at Marshall's today and picked up three golf polos...with the "dri-fit" kind of material...for $14.99 each. They were originally $50.00 each.

I'll second that find. I've picked up quite a few Nike Dri-Fit golf polos, as well as some other brands like Pebble Beach Golf and PGA Golf, at either Marshalls, TJ Maxx, or Ross stores in the $15-20 range. Another place I've found some pretty reasonably priced golf polos recently was Kohls. They have a huge selection of the Grand Slam Golf line that are really nice, as well as Fila Golf, in the $20-28 range. I picked up one of the Fila golf polos a couple weeks ago and LOVE that shirt. Also, keep an eye on the discount racks at Dick's, I've picked up stuff there for anywhere from $15-30 on sale.

Cool. Thanks all. Looks like I need to give Nike a shot.

I think if you buy performance apparel you will find that more often than not it is cut to the requirements of a particular sport. So for example Zero Restriction (ZR) has a line of golf apparel that includes a very limited number of polo shirts and sweaters and all kinds of stuff like that. The choices for color and style are very very limited but they are cut to give you room to swing without feeling like you are wearing a tent.

I really like the "leaner fit" formotion polo's from adidas. I wear a large in them and they fit nicely. The "relaxed fit" from adidas seems wider and I could probably wear a medium in them. The few nike shirts I have all fit quite comfortably (size large). I do not like my golf polo's to be baggy.

Back