Cleveland CG16 Wedges

Is there an ETA on these? (He asks as he looks out his office window at the cold snowy landscape)

Is there an ETA on these? (He asks as he looks out his office window at the cold snowy landscape)

They are a spring 2011 release, so it will still be a while.

They look good.

As the CG15 vs CG16 pics show on page one, the CG16 was IMO, quite a bit larger when I tested these. I game the CG15 now and found it tough to get used to the increased head size of the CG16.

As the CG15 vs CG16 pics show on page one, the CG16 was IMO, quite a bit larger when I tested these. I game the CG15 now and found it tough to get used to the increased head size of the CG16.

I'm glad others are getting to test this iron so early. Where did you try it? I'm finding them to be the same size.

44cf65e5-19c3-9f7f.jpg

44cf65e5-19d6-a461.jpg

The CG16 wedges have landed in Illinois for a THP review. I will be working with them for awhile to get some good info for everybody. Many THP'rs were lucky enough to try these almost 6 months before they were set to be released. They were one of my favorite wedges at the outing and I was sorely disappointed when JB told me I couldn't take them out on the course due to embargo dates. Can't wait to get them out there. Loving them on short chips indoors so far.

The CG16 wedges have landed in Illinois for a THP review. I will be working with them for awhile to get some good info for everybody. Many THP'rs were lucky enough to try these almost 6 months before they were set to be released. They were one of my favorite wedges at the outing and I was sorely disappointed when JB told me I couldn't take them out on the course due to embargo dates. Can't wait to get them out there. Loving them on short chips indoors so far.
Wow....you have quite a little list of solid stuff to review there Hawk. I'm very interested in your thoughts on these.

Noticing the CG16 grinds seem to be closer to the 588s where the 15s are more rounded at the bottom. Liking the look of the 16s better.

Had the first chance to take my CG16's out this weekend and I am extremely pleased with them. They check up extremely nicely on full swings. Actually had my approach on 18 spin from the back of the green to about 5 feet from the hole (took a full 52* wedge from about 110 out). I've seen wedges that would take the cover off of the ball on a shot like that (Jaws comes to mind) and these wedges accomplished the same amount of spin while helping my B330s to stay in perfect shape. Played a full round with only 2 B330s.

These and the Tm xFt's are high on my list. Can't wait to go to golf galaxy. (Even though I won't be able to try these their, yet..)

Spent a considerable amount of time with these over the weekend. Hit them on the range, on the simulator, and on a chipping green. We were chipping out of some matted down rough and I was getting some pretty good spin on range balls. Enough that I had to adjust my stroke to be a bit more aggressive than I planned on. Distance control is easy on 1/2 and 3/4 shots. I found that full shots really put the ball WAY up in the air for me. I love the (very slightly) larger head than other wedges I've been playing and they seem to have good forgiveness as well. Looking forward to seeing what comes out of this testing.

Spent a considerable amount of time with these over the weekend. Hit them on the range, on the simulator, and on a chipping green. We were chipping out of some matted down rough and I was getting some pretty good spin on range balls. Enough that I had to adjust my stroke to be a bit more aggressive than I planned on. Distance control is easy on 1/2 and 3/4 shots. I found that full shots really put the ball WAY up in the air for me. I love the (very slightly) larger head than other wedges I've been playing and they seem to have good forgiveness as well. Looking forward to seeing what comes out of this testing.

good stuff dude...looking forward to your thoughts on these wedges....definitely a top wedge for 2011

I am looking to add two or three of these wedges to my bag in the next couple of weeks :cleveland::thumb:. With that said, I will hit them at a local demo day to have the correct lie & bounce for my swing.

The sole jumped out at me today as well, I love my 588 so when the demo guy was explaining the similarities I'm sure I was grinning really big.

Noticing the CG16 grinds seem to be closer to the 588s where the 15s are more rounded at the bottom. Liking the look of the 16s better.

insert witty sig line here. Tapatalk

These are another set of clubs that I really want to get out on the course. I really want to know how they work for me in a variety of lies. I have to say that really appreciate the slightly larger head and I feel that it gives me a bit of extra confidence.

One thing that I've really appreciated so far is just how easy they are to hit and how consistent the distances on full swings are. I usually take most of my full swings with the GW, but will use the SW on occasion as well. Both hit the ball EXTREMELY high and I'm hoping that hitting them on the grass will temper that a bit since I play in the wind quite often. I can't help but ponder the DG spinners, but that's not going to happen for the time being.

I was also able to hit my normal variety of short game shots quite easily with them. I had no problem with controlling trajectory on pitch shots and they seemed to impart quite a bit of spin on the frozen range rocks I was using.

I can't wait to hear about how well they are on the course either. The fact that they have a bit of a cavity is incredibly intriguing to me. I hope that Spring weather starts rolling around your neck of the woods soon.

I will say that I'd never know there was a cavity by looking at them at address or by how they feel at impact. I can't really comment on how 'forgiving' they are due to the cavity since most of my shots with them were really good. The 52 look like Jrod was hitting it haha.

Those look beautiful. I may have to invest in a 56 degree

Looks like a sweet wedge. I am in the market for new ones and was looking at the Vokey's but i may have to look into these.

These wedges are really sharp looking. Can't wait to give them a try. There is demo in Austin this weekend, so I will definitely be there to give them a shot.

These wedges are really sharp looking. Can't wait to give them a try. There is demo in Austin this weekend, so I will definitely be there to give them a shot.

Will be looking forward to your thoughts and welcome to THP!

I took my new CG16 wedges (50 & 56) out for a test run yesterday. It had rained all night the day before so the conditions were not the best. The first shot I had to hit was a 30 yard shot uphill over a sand trap. I focused on the ball and felt the nice soft contact but I could not see the ball land. When I got up to green level the ball was 10 ft behind the flag which is pretty good from where I initially hit it. I used both wedges off the green and saw some very promising action. The ball checked up nicely which means more practice picking the correct spot to land the ball. On shots from 50 plus yards with the sand wedge I was very pleasantly surprised. Nice high flight and soft landing. The smaller sole of the club (compared to my Cobra UFI wedges) felt really good and even in the wet conditions did not cause any problems. Having less bounce will work very well when the fairways tighten up from the summer sun. I also found out I could play the ball back in my stance and hit the ball low when conditions required. The 50 degree wedge felt great from 110 yds in. It also felt great chipping around the green. I am in love :in-love: and would recommend these wedges if you are looking to update your bag . You will not be sorry :thumb:

Glad to see you picked these up, Gray! My feelings about them are very similar to yours.

Nice review Gray!

Like you Hawk I've giving these an eye with DG spinners in mind. I like the KBS Hi Rev's but the stopping power of the DG's with the sole/groove of these has my mouth watering.

Back