New shaft for R9 Superdeep?

pitchinwedge

Reaction score
Handicap
Currently have a Graph Design YSQ in a FT9 driver. I like the feel of the YSQ so was thinking about taking the shaft and putting it into an R9 Superdeep (both heads are 9.5 loft).

All else being equal, any ideas how the R9 Superdeep w/YSQ shaft will play? Will the new club launch lower than the FT9? More or less spin?

Currently have a Graph Design YSQ in a FT9 driver. I like the feel of the YSQ so was thinking about taking the shaft and putting it into an R9 Superdeep (both heads are 9.5 loft).

All else being equal, any ideas how the R9 Superdeep w/YSQ shaft will play? Will the new club launch lower than the FT9? More or less spin?

Are you struggling with the FT-9? Is there a reason for the switch?

Not really switching. Bought the FT9 over 2 seasons ago, almost on a whim. Never fell in love with shallow FT9 head but kept on playing it. Then came along the superdeep, which I've been gaming for a bit now. Distance wise, they're about even or maybe the FT9 even a bit longer. The superdeep just doesn't "feel" as good. It has the RIP70 stiff shaft. I'm thinking that what I'm really missing is the YSQ shaft. Might be wrong tho.

Not really switching. Bought the FT9 over 2 seasons ago, almost on a whim. Never fell in love with shallow FT9 head but kept on playing it. Then came along the superdeep, which I've been gaming for a bit now. Distance wise, they're about even or maybe the FT9 even a bit longer. The superdeep just doesn't "feel" as good. It has the RIP70 stiff shaft. I'm thinking that what I'm really missing is the YSQ shaft. Might be wrong tho.

I agree with you about the RIP shaft. I know we are in the minority as so many rave about it, but I would venture to say that if you are missing the feel, it is definitely the shaft difference.

I bought the Superdeep recently and I agree with you both that the RIP didn't have a good feel at all. The rep at the store let me play around with demo shafts from Taylormade and I ended up with with the Matrix HD6 and let met take the club with that shaft in it. The feel difference was night and day for me (numbers as well), it's a really good feeling club with the right shaft, good luck!

I'm impressed that you guys can even hit a Superdeep.
I was told that thing's beast and a half to tame.

Do you think that the YSQ is a fair replacement for the RIP as far as launch and spin? Would I just be ruining both? The FT9 w/YSQ was ideal for my swing/ball speed. The SD w/RIP70 is pretty close to ideal, too. Just a bit low in launch, but spin rate is good.

Do you think that the YSQ is a fair replacement for the RIP as far as launch and spin? Would I just be ruining both? The FT9 w/YSQ was ideal for my swing/ball speed. The SD w/RIP70 is pretty close to ideal, too. Just a bit low in launch, but spin rate is good.

The RIP (going off memory) is a VERY low spin driver that offers mid launch and VERY low torque. It would all depend on your launch numbers frankly. I know that I far prefer a higher spin shaft than the RIP.

The RIP (going off memory) is a VERY low spin driver that offers mid launch and VERY low torque. It would all depend on your launch numbers frankly. I know that I far prefer a higher spin shaft than the RIP.

That's correct JB, the best bet PW is to go try out a few shafts or get fit if possible. The Superdeep is a low launch, low spin head, I'm not sure how the FT9 plays, but I'm thinking your launch, spin might not be the same with the SD.

Yep, is the FT9 anything like the SD? Based on looks, I'd say no way. Anyone know of a comparison between heads? I've seen plenty comparing shafts but nothin on the heads.

Yep, is the FT9 anything like the SD? Based on looks, I'd say no way. Anyone know of a comparison between heads? I've seen plenty comparing shafts but nothin on the heads.

You would definitely have to drop the same shaft into both drivers in order to compare the heads.

Both are pretty low spinning heads going off of memory.

JB does the RIP feel a bit boardy to you or is there some other aspect of the shaft that you don't like?

JB does the RIP feel a bit boardy to you or is there some other aspect of the shaft that you don't like?

I dont care for the feel of the shaft as it loads and unloads. I prefer a shaft that offers a smooth feel at the transition and the RIP just does not give that to me.

I would love to try the Oban Kiyashi in the SuperDeep or maybe even in the R11. There was an R11 for sale in one of the For Sales Forums but it was a 55 instead of a 65 or 75 and 55 is just too light for me.....probably turned out to be too light for the guy selling it. He played it one round with some protection on the face and put it up for sale.

I'm impressed that you guys can even hit a Superdeep.
I was told that thing's beast and a half to tame.

That's a load of crap somebody's been feeding you.

Reactions: JB
Of course it's all about using launch monitors and what not, but I gotta throw in the Miyazaki Black.

I use one in my SuperTri and its just got a ton of feel and keeps my spin reasonable with a decent launch.

So many good shafts nowadays, it's all about how well they pair with the heads and your swing.

Back