Luke Donald- The Best....?

Raygoose

Reaction score
Handicap
There have been many good match play players in modern golf. Is Luke Donald carving himself a spot next to some of the greats?

He was definitely good this weekend, but today he was showing signs of difficulty under pressure. He fumbled quite a few shots compared to his dominance yesterday against Kuchar.

I'd say so. Look at his RC record as well, it's sick.

His driver rarely gets him in trouble, his irons have laser like precision and he is almost sutomatic with his putter. When the pressure is on, this is a killer combo. I think he is well on his way to being one of the best match play players ever.

Luke is at the stage now where he knows his game and doesn't try and do anything he can't do. Also he makes very few mistakes, which obv in match-play is a killer. When you face him you know you're going to have win holes rather than him losing them.

Based on his last 2 match play apps (WGC and RC) you've gotta think he's the best match player in the world atm

He's the classic matchplay player. He'll hit the ball 20 yards shorter than you, then stick it to 10 feet and put you under pressure.

When his short game is as good as it has been this week, he's close to impossible to beat!

I think people have very short memories apparently.

I think people have very short memories apparently.

Are you referring to counting LD as one of the 'greats' in matchplay? I wouldn't go that far just yet. But he is good, there can be little debate about that.

Are you referring to counting LD as one of the 'greats' in matchplay? I wouldn't go that far just yet. But he is good, there can be little debate about that.

He is good. Or should I say has been good recently.

In 2009 he lost in the 2nd round. Last year he made it to the 3rd round.

These are not exactly incredible showings.

He had a good Ryder Cup and a great week this week. One must continue a trend more than 6 months in my opinion to be considered the best, in the sport of golf.

There have been many good match play players in modern golf. Is Luke Donald carving himself a spot next to some of the greats?

Good in match play maybe but I don't see him setting the world on fire anytime soon. Long way from being a great.

He is good. Or should I say has been good recently.

In 2009 he lost in the 2nd round. Last year he made it to the 3rd round.

These are not exactly incredible showings.

He had a good Ryder Cup and a great week this week. One must continue a trend more than 6 months in my opinion to be considered the best, in the sport of golf.

Yeah, agreed. He has a pretty good all round record in matchplay, but I don't think he has enough games under his belt to be considered more than just good at this moment. You can be lucky or unlucky on the day, depending on how the other guy is playing.

Ironically, we could've been having this same discussion about another Englishman, Ian Poulter, as he won this event, has a good record in the RC, but look what happened to him. Luke Donald will have to throw in another 5-7 years of dominance in this event as well as in the RC before I consider him the best.

Golf's all about match ups and I think that he caught some guys that just weren't at the top of their game on the day. Would Luke Donald have beaten the Rickie Fowler we saw in the 2nd round? Would he have beaten the Jason Day we saw in the 1st round? I don't think he would've beaten the Bubba Watson we saw in the first two rounds, but that's the luck of the draw sometimes.

Ironically, we could've been having this same discussion about another Englishman, Ian Poulter, as he won this event, has a good record in the RC, but look what happened to him. Luke Donald will have to throw in another 5-7 years of dominance in this event as well as in the RC before I consider him the best.

Golf's all about match ups and I think that he caught some guys that just weren't at the top of their game on the day. Would Luke Donald have beaten the Rickie Fowler we saw in the 2nd round? Would he have beaten the Jason Day we saw in the 1st round? I don't think he would've beaten the Bubba Watson we saw in the first two rounds, but that's the luck of the draw sometimes.

It is the luck of the draw, but I think your question could be turned round on you. Would Rickie have been so dominant in that 2nd round if he came up against Luke, who got off to a great start? Guess it proves your point though, there are so many variables that can go for you or against you on that day. You can only try to play your best.

It is the luck of the draw, but I think your question could be turned round on you. Would Rickie have been so dominant in that 2nd round if he came up against Luke, who got off to a great start? Guess it proves your point though, there are so many variables that can go for you or against you on that day. You can only try to play your best.

You're exactly right too paulo. They could have the same 64 golfers in the same event this weekend, shuffle the brackets a bit, and I could garauntee it wouldn't be the same outcome.

I also think the weather in Tucson had something to do with it too. Abnormal cold and if you teed off early or later when the temps warmed up a bit , we Americans I don't think play in in-climate weather much .

You're exactly right too paulo. They could have the same 64 golfers in the same event this weekend, shuffle the brackets a bit, and I could garauntee it wouldn't be the same outcome.
You could play it again this week and the outcome would be different in all likelyhood. When you catch a guy who is absolutely on fire, like Fowler in round 2, there is not a lot you can do except sit back and admire the golfer who has entered the zone.

He's certainly good, not great. He had a great weekend , no doubt, but i think he's still inconsistent (driver comes to mind). If he were to develop a consistent driver stroke in terms of accuracy vs length then he might be in the discussion for a potentially great player

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

His iron play and putter were amazing throughout this tourney, but his driver was up and down. I really enjoyed watching Luke, but he needs to do it a lot more often before I call him dominate.

Yes.

Signed,

Thainer

FWIW...He's had 3 good Ryder Cups (04, 06, 10) with 8/11 possible points. Those numbers are nothing to sneeze at. It's hard to be "a consistent performer" in a format they play once (there's no other individual matchplay event I can think of?) every year and twice (ie RC + WGC) every other year.

He def. played well!! He was never behind during the match play!

Luke hit some amazing putts all week.One in particular comes to mind,in the semis on Sat. he hit a good 30ish footer double breaker that looked impossible.The putt tracked and looked good almost the whole way,incredible.Someday he may be considered one of the best at matchplay no doubt.

Agreed TC its amazing how this game can change on you in an instant. That's another reason that what Tiger did was so amazing. Oh man did I just turn into NBC on this thread?

I dont know if he is the best, but man this guy put this weekend like the best and his iron shots are excelent.

Back