Cleveland CG16 Irons - PHOTOS!!!

Good info Yoccos! I am demoing these March 19th at my local course and have a fitting. You know it's all about being an "Insider" so I get these perks now & then :D.. I might walk away from this demo with an order in place :thumb:

YOu might just want to add "As predicted by JB 2 months ago" to these posts. :act-up:

Lol. Ill have to live through you for a bit Gray!!!!!! I loved the amount of "sizzle" these irons put on the ball. I hit these and the VR Pro's on Saturday. Both fantastic sets. The Black Pearl finish though is still as gorgeous as I remember.

Good info Yoccos! I am demoing these March 19th at my local course and have a fitting. You know it's all about being an "Insider" so I get these perks now & then :D.. I might walk away from this demo with an order in place :thumb:

these are some of my favorite irons out there....I know exactly what you mean by the 'issssssp' feeling but not sure about the memory foam reference
Not sure if this is the place or not but I finally hit these irons for a good amount of time. I usually hit the 5i because that is usually the lowest club I tend to carry (although I do carry a 4i now haha). Anyway, initially I thought these were probably going to be a little thicker than the CG7's I once gamed, they didn't seem like it at all once I got them at address. They felt smooth and the forgiveness imo was pretty good. I only hit one "bad" shot haha. Or so it felt like. The one thing I hate about hitting off matts is it's really hard to tell. I just know I was hitting the center of the clubface just towards the toe on all but one shot. Felt very crisp and soft. By crisp I mean it sounded like "issssssp" coming off the face. You know that almost crackling sound when you crush a ball? I liken the feel to a memory foam bed. Firm yet gives way and I'm really curious to see how the ball flight it.

I know I don't hit the sweet spot all the time but my shot dispersion on the clubface was pretty well grouped. I don't know if it was a combo of the shaft and clubhead but I really liked hitting these. One of my top "hit more" list.

My Machspeeds better get with the program. I have some contenders knocking haha.

Lol yeah. Kinda like a sturdy soft. I dont know what it was but a sweet hit with these I equated to the tranquility of the new bed haha.

these are some of my favorite irons out there....I know exactly what you mean by the 'issssssp' feeling but not sure about the memory foam reference

YOu might just want to add "As predicted by JB 2 months ago" to these posts. :act-up:

Huh? A man of prophecy. I thought back then I was strictly known, as the snake charmer or whisperer. Your memory surpasses my own :thumb:

Anyways the CG16 regular & CG16 tour model are like a huge magnet drawing my attention. I am currently liking less bounce in my iron heads which is interesting to say the least. The Cobra S3 Pros, from your review and others, may be too much where I'm hoping the Cleveland irons will fit the bill. Hmmmmm snake charmer to a white Vijay Singh, as TC has alluded. We shall see in the next couple of weeks :question:

Just curious as to how the turf interaction is with the regular CG16's? I saw them in a local golf store last week and they are very sharp looking irons! I plan on demoing them March 19th. I no longer play my Cobra S2 irons as they are gone, out of here. The sole was pretty large on the S2 irons and our golf course is very firm in the summer months. Too much bounce is not a good thing so any comments on bounce/turf interaction would be appreciated. I also suppose it may boil down to if you take deep divots, shallow divots or pick the ball.

Just curious as to how the turf interaction is with the regular CG16's? I saw them in a local golf store last week and they are very sharp looking irons! I plan on demoing them March 19th. I no longer play my Cobra S2 irons as they are gone, out of here. The sole was pretty large on the S2 irons and our golf course is very firm in the summer months. Too much bounce is not a good thing so any comments on bounce/turf interaction would be appreciated. I also suppose it may boil down to if you take deep divots, shallow divots or pick the ball.

Gray I have not had any trouble with that. I can play them as a clean sweeping iron or as my normal swing with a rather large divot. With these, I definitely prefer to take the big divot and it has been a joy with these. I can also say that the courses I have been playing here have very hard FWs. However if you want a smaller sole, the tour versions might want.

Gray I have not had any trouble with that. I can play them as a clean sweeping iron or as my normal swing with a rather large divot. With these, I definitely prefer to take the big divot and it has been a joy with these. I can also say that the courses I have been playing here have very hard FWs. However if you want a smaller sole, the tour versions might want.

Thanks JB. I plan on hitting both at demo day however more forgiveness is a good thing. . KellyBo won a seven iron in a contest and I keep looking in the garage for a box from Cleveland. Once it arrives I will be heading to the course :thumb:

So Gray, will you be rocking the satin or black pearl CG16's?

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

So Gray, will you be rocking the satin or black pearl CG16's?

I like the satin finish alot however the black pearls, will definitely rock in my new Sun Mountain bag :thumb:

I like the satin finish alot however the black pearls, will definitely rock in my new Sun Mountain bag :thumb:

Yeah, it would be hard not to go with the bp's. I'm excited for you buddy.

I am hitting my old Calloway Pro X14 Irons pretty darn good these days. The one thing I will consider when our Cleveland demo day arrives, is the Tour version for the Cleveland CG16 irons. The heads on my current irons, X14's are less offset and on the smaller side. I hit them without a problem so the CG16 Tour version is heavy on my mind. If anyone can give me some feedback on the Tour model, it would be appreciated.

Hit these irons again tonight and my are they sweet. Even with a shaft that was too light I had a good 9 yards more carry with a 7 iron (31 loft) over my MX 200 6 iron (29 loft). I was hooking some shots like mad though due to the lack of weight.

Seriously Cleveland, why can't I special order the 16's with something other then 85g's? Reshafting makes for a sad panda

Cleveland is doing a demo days at our club on Sunday. Ill give these a try.

Not much going on with this thread. I'm trying to decide between the Burner 2.0's, the new TM CB's and the CG16's. I've hit the 2.0's and the CG16's only off a mat. True test for me will be hitting them and how it feels taking a divot. There's also a big lovefest (which I posted on the THP 2.0 thread) with the new TM CB's . Anyone out there hit any combination of the 3 and how do they compare?

Not much going on with this thread. I'm trying to decide between the Burner 2.0's, the new TM CB's and the CG16's. I've hit the 2.0's and the CG16's only off a mat. True test for me will be hitting them and how it feels taking a divot. There's also a big lovefest (which I posted on the THP 2.0 thread) with the new TM CB's . Anyone out there hit any combination of the 3 and how do they compare?

A few of us have. Hawk, Hanks, One-T and myself all have. I have been playing the 16s for a while now and love them. Incredible distance, great ball flight and forgiveness that is perfect for me. The CBs are just a different animal. Smaller club head, thinner top line and less forgiveness. They offer a different sound and feel than that of the 16s. I like the added distance the 16s give me and the added forgiveness throughout the club head.

Nothing much else I can say. The CG16's were my favorite iron that I tried at the 2010 outing. I never loved the 2.0, but it's also a solid club.

A few of us have. Hawk, Hanks, One-T and myself all have. I have been playing the 16s for a while now and love them. Incredible distance, great ball flight and forgiveness that is perfect for me. The CBs are just a different animal. Smaller club head, thinner top line and less forgiveness. They offer a different sound and feel than that of the 16s. I like the added distance the 16s give me and the added forgiveness throughout the club head.

Tapatalk keeps me sane.

welcome to THP swirb! I think each of these clubs are a completely different animal that need to be hit each on their own. The 2.0's are definitely long, the CB's are definitely accurate, and the CG16's are a nice blend of both. I'm early in my testing of the CB's but of the three that you've highlighted here, the CG16's are my favorite and are a great set of irons.

welcome to THP swirb! I think each of these clubs are a completely different animal that need to be hit each on their own. The 2.0's are definitely long, the CB's are definitely accurate, and the CG16's are a nice blend of both. I'm early in my testing of the CB's but of the three that you've highlighted here, the CG16's are my favorite and are a great set of irons.

Ugh -- I have to wait until next weekend to get my fitting and these favorable post are peaking my interests:thumb: I am going to test the regular CG16's and the Tour Model. It will be interesting as to which works best for my swing.

Ugh -- I have to wait until next weekend to get my fitting and these favorable post are peaking my interests:thumb: I am going to test the regular CG16's and the Tour Model. It will be interesting as to which works best for my swing.

No it wont Gray....hehe. I already have it penciled in what will work better and what will be in your bag. You are making this too easy for me...hehe

Now if only we saw a new Never Compromise Gambler all done up customized from you in that bag...Hmmmm.

No it wont Gray....hehe. I already have it penciled in what will work better and what will be in your bag. You are making this too easy for me...hehe

Now if only we saw a new Never Compromise Gambler all done up customized from you in that bag...Hmmmm.

Oh JB, please don't give him more ideas. Then again, we could get a beautiful his/hers set like you guys did. :act-up:

Oh JB, please don't give him more ideas. Then again, we could get a beautiful his/hers set like you guys did. :act-up:

Ding Ding Ding!

Thanks JB. Someone in the 2.0 thread mentioned when they hit a pure iron the shot can tend to go too far, as in over the green. Have you seen that with the CG's?

Thanks JB. Someone in the 2.0 thread mentioned when they hit a pure iron the shot can tend to go too far, as in over the green. Have you seen that with the CG's?

Yes, but I think that comes with dialing in your distances. Both are incredibly long irons.

Thanks Hanks. I'm leaning toward the CG's and I think ultimately they may be the best club for me but I need to see and hit the CB's just to close that loop.

Back