Regular athletic shoes in lieu of golf specific shoes

#Cookie

Grinder
Reaction score
Handicap
Saw this mentioned in another thread and not wanting to hijack that one so started this one.

Is anyone wearing some type of athletic/cross trainer shoe instead of something with soft spikes? I like the idea because not only are they very comfy to walk in but you can also wear them away from the course, etc.

If you are, what specific brand/model is working for you and what are the pro/cons from personal experience?

Mods - browsed the golf style forum but did not see this discussed specifically according to the title; please merge if you see the need.

I dont wear anything non-golf, but have tried quite a few shoes without replaceable spikes. Things such as ECCO Street Premier come to mind.

I think a lot of it has to do with where/how you play...

1. Is the ground ever wet? Spikes help with slippage as well as well as many have incredible waterproofing.
2. How good is your balance through the swing?

I think both of these have a major role in what someone wears. But you are right, there is nothing wrong with wearing an athletic shoe on the course. Heck some courses would love you for it as it can keep the course looking better (greens). I hate to say this because of my love for all things golf shoes, but a lot of it has to do with marketing and what the pros where.

I wore these all of last season while walking (when it was dry) and loved them. Price was very good as well at around $65. I'm already looking at another pair or maybe something in a spikeless line.
Slipping was never a issue for me and that is coming from a guy that has worn (and still wears) steel spikes, mainly in the wet now.
Mens-adidas-Sport-adiZero-Sonic-Shoes.jpg

Thanks Hoosier & good points JB. Playing in the morning dew could be a factor but I had not thought about the balance factor. Worst case scenario I guess is to wear some good cross trainers to the range and see how balance is impacted prior to giving a go on the course.

I have these, that I bought a few months ago. They are golf shoes but the have the just regular shoe look. VERY comfortable and light weight. Im pretty sure you can take the spikes out of them and wear them as shoes. If I had the little spike tool to take them out, I probably would just to see how they were without them. I only paid $45 for them and you can find them anywhere between that and $60.

resize

sand could also be a factor as well....I copuld see some non-golf shoes not giving any support for sand shots and a lot of spinning going on.
Thanks Hoosier & good points JB. Playing in the morning dew could be a factor but I had not thought about the balance factor. Worst case scenario I guess is to wear some good cross trainers to the range and see how balance is impacted prior to giving a go on the course.

I had a problem at one point trying to swing out of my shoes on most shots. THis summer for a month I only wore basketball shoes on the course so that I had to stay in balance or I would be slipping all over the place. It really helped my swing and now I can wear my golf shoes and get the extra grip that I need. I found wearing regular shoes to be a great training aid.

sand could also be a factor as well....I copuld see some non-golf shoes not giving any support for sand shots and a lot of spinning going on.

In that case, I will just not hit into bunkers. :laughing:

I have always worn golf shoes. For me its mostly a style thing. I do think that 'purpose built" footwear is best for most applications whether golf, running, tennis, walking, etc. I like my golf shoes to be waterproof and have some enhanced traction.

I live in Seattle. There are maybe 2 months a year that I could play with regular shoes, the other 6 playable months, no chance. And even in the best months if you play early morning the ground will have dew on it. Off the tee especially, your feet slide out badly with no spikes. That said, in warmer climates, it should be possible. I guess my question is why? The golf shoes I wear, (Nike, Adidas), are very comfortable and very similar to athletic shoes anyway.

tomahawk18 - regarding the why: I go to the range 1-2x/week and was just thinking it would be nice to hop out of the car and grab clubs without changing shoes, etc. That got me to thinking about playing in them. I have no complaints about my current Adidas that I play in but I thought if you could have some cross trainers/trail running shoes that served as golf shoes on the course they would be multi-purpose and may save a few bucks also. Definitely understand the concern with dew & waterproofing, etc though.

I've only played in 'regular' shoes.
If it's dry out, I wear my runners, if it's wet out, I wear my all-leather skechers.
Not the greatest for traction, but I"ve never slipped and fallen yet!
There was really only one time that I would have liked spikes, and that was when I was playing in a monsoon. Complete with hail, lightning, and thunder.

tomahawk18 - regarding the why: I go to the range 1-2x/week and was just thinking it would be nice to hop out of the car and grab clubs without changing shoes, etc. That got me to thinking about playing in them. I have no complaints about my current Adidas that I play in but I thought if you could have some cross trainers/trail running shoes that served as golf shoes on the course they would be multi-purpose and may save a few bucks also. Definitely understand the concern with dew & waterproofing, etc though.

Oh, I misunderstood. I practice in tennis shoes on the range almost exclusively. I never change shoes unless I am playing a round or practicing on the course. Range= tennis shoes baby! :)

I always wear golf shoes, but I don't see any problem with wearing regular athletic shoes to golf in.

The reason I finally broke down and bought golf shoes about 6 years ago was because I played one dewy morning with running shoes, and my left knee was sore for a week after sliding around on the tee box all day. I have not had a problem with the knees due to teeing off since I started wearing soft spiked shoes.

Back