When did you buy your first car?

Still haven't bought my first car yet, 18 now and am thinking of saving up over the summer for one but am wondering if I REALLY do need it. I will make a good bunch over the summer but I think I'll keep saving and saving until I get something I really want instead of settling for just average.

I've got my eyes on the older foresters as well. I saw a test by Fifth Gear in the UK on a Forester STI... that thing was sweet!
You're right, AWD is a huge selling point for me. If I'm going to buy a neat car, it has to be driveable all year 'round. My friend has a Mazdaspeed 3, and he claims to be fine with it... but I just think that AWD would make things so much better.

Out in Calgary you definitely want AWD or 4x4. Last time I was there it was -50. Do you get up to Banff often? I would be going every weekend if I lived there- another good reason to have AWD.

Out in Calgary you definitely want AWD or 4x4. Last time I was there it was -50. Do you get up to Banff often? I would be going every weekend if I lived there- another good reason to have AWD.

Sadly, I don't. School has taken away my time for skiing.

I was 16 and my parents made me pay half. I got a 1989 Toyota Celica. Man that thing was fast.

I was 16 and my parents made me pay half. I got a 1989 Toyota Celica. Man that thing was fast.

The Celica's were very cool. Bet I could have taken you in the '88 Supra- though I think the Celica probably cornered better.

Senior year high school I bought a Dodge Daytona Shelby...way too much car for me at a young age. I blame this car for my heavy foot today

Senior year high school I bought a Dodge Daytona Shelby...way too much car for me at a young age. I blame this car for my heavy foot today

junior year high school, dad pitched in and help me buy a piece of sh_t Nissan 300xz. Little did he or I know at the time, that the car is very popular especially in young asian teens for it's ease of modifying and going sideways. I became a speed freak for a very long time. Now a days I'm like a recovering alcoholic, whenever I hear a car engine rev I get excited.

My first car was an 81 turbo diesel VW rabbit. Paid $800 for it. Lasted a year. Sold it for $200. Terrible car. I was 19 when I got it.

I bought my first car a year and a half ago...chevy tahoe. I should have it paid off in a year or so. Good luck with the day trading. I am still kicking myself in the butt for not putting every penny I had into apple when it was at $80 a couple years ago.

My first car was a 1987 Nissan 200sx. It looked like this. that thing was sweet. V6 and a 5 speed. look out world.

only thing missing is the steal your face sticker on the bumper!!

brandon_perkins_87_se.jpg

Last edited:
junior year high school, dad pitched in and help me buy a piece of sh_t Nissan 300xz. Little did he or I know at the time, that the car is very popular especially in young asian teens for it's ease of modifying and going sideways. I became a speed freak for a very long time. Now a days I'm like a recovering alcoholic, whenever I hear a car engine rev I get excited.

My first car was a 1987 Nissan 200sx. It looked like this. that thing was sweet. V6 and a 5 speed. look out world.

only thing missing is the steal your face sticker on the bumper!!

brandon_perkins_87_se.jpg

Nice car...... :D Mine was 1993

19 years old.
I worked for 2 years in a gas station during high school and saved most of my earnings.
It was a light blue 1969 Datsun 510 4dr. I bought it in 1977 for $500.

Turning 26 Friday and still have not bought my own car. My wife and I did bye her car last year (well paying on her car) a new 2010 Ford Escape but it is hers not mine. I was lucky enough to be given a 97 Dodge Dakota for my 16th birthday by my grandfather. When I graduated college my dad gave me his 2003 Dodge Ram (HEMI) as my graduation present because he was getting something better on gas. However I am looking to get a new or used 4X4 truck this summer.

I got my first car at 17, a Datsun 510 (I think) couple of colors of primer. My mom bought me that one since she wasn't going to let me drive her RX7.

Wholly Cow, how much is insurance in Canada, that is ridiculous.

As you and others have mentioned, I'd stay away from a used WRX.

When they 1st came out I helped talk a buddy into getting one. He was a mustang guy but ended up loving the WRX. He also loved that his insurance for the WRX was so much cheaper since the companies labelled it as a station wagon.

My first car was a 1971 Saab 96 which I bought when I was 13. Had 4 more before I got my licence, all paid for cash with money I had worked for. Have fun and enjoy, life is to short to drive boring cars!

I bought my first car in 1997 at age 17. It was an '85 Toyota 4Runner with 243,000 miles on it that I bought for $1,800. I bought that, drove it my senior year of high school and then when I graduated and got a fulltime job I sold it and bought a '91 4Runner with about 100,000 miles on it for a little under $10,000.
The '85 wasnt much, but it got me back and forth where I needed to go, taught me how to drive a manual transmission and was a fun little truck.

I got my first car at 17, a Datsun 510 (I think) couple of colors of primer. My mom bought me that one since she wasn't going to let me drive her RX7.

Wholly Cow, how much is insurance in Canada, that is ridiculous.

As you and others have mentioned, I'd stay away from a used WRX.

When they 1st came out I helped talk a buddy into getting one. He was a mustang guy but ended up loving the WRX. He also loved that his insurance for the WRX was so much cheaper since the companies labelled it as a station wagon.

Funny you say that, we already have a '91 Mustang LX 5.0 with 5 speed, but it's a fair weather car. My brother basically takes it as his own whenever it's put on the road for the summer months so competition for the family chariot goes down.
I like WRX wagons... adds a bit of practicality to a little car. I was in an '02 on Saturday night, and it didn't have a cover for the area behind the seats like other hatches/wagons do. That's a bit of a turn off.

Funny you say that, we already have a '91 Mustang LX 5.0 with 5 speed, but it's a fair weather car. My brother basically takes it as his own whenever it's put on the road for the summer months so competition for the family chariot goes down.
I like WRX wagons... adds a bit of practicality to a little car. I was in an '02 on Saturday night, and it didn't have a cover for the area behind the seats like other hatches/wagons do. That's a bit of a turn off.

My friend enjoyed everything about the WRX over his Mustang, and the last one I remember was a early 2000 era 5.0 (I want to say GTO) convertable. Mustangs are just not the most practical cars, unless you live in a snow free zone. Still won't stop me from picking up a '67 some day.
An idea other than a WRX is to pick up an Impreza, Legacy, Outback, or Forester and slowly add onto it. There are plenty of after market parts available and then you can make it what you want.

My friend enjoyed everything about the WRX over his Mustang, and the last one I remember was a early 2000 era 5.0 (I want to say GTO) convertable. Mustangs are just not the most practical cars, unless you live in a snow free zone. Still won't stop me from picking up a '67 some day.
An idea other than a WRX is to pick up an Impreza, Legacy, Outback, or Forester and slowly add onto it. There are plenty of after market parts available and then you can make it what you want.

Yeah, my buddy's already pushing 350hp with his and it's barely cost him anything it seems!
$400 for a new turbo and then a few other things for another couple hundred and his car is a rocket!

Bought my first car when I was 16. It was a 1968 Amercian Motors Ambassador. You could get about 20 people in the car and it actually had cruise control of a sort.

I brought my first car when I was 17 and it was a 1965 mustang fastback....oh my...I am telling my age...lol.

I got my first car at 16. Parent's bought me a $3000 toyota celica.

I wouldn't buy the sports car. Yea it would be awesome for a bit. But in the end you will pay a lot more for it than the initial price. It's gonna cost you more in insurance, gas, speeding tickets. Just not worth it. If you want a car just buy a decent one that gets good gas mileage. Gas will be $4 a gallon soon enough.

Don't you mean you were 16 and your parents PAID half? haha My parents made me pay 100%!

I got my first one when I was 22. Picked it out right off the showroom floor, it was a 1996 Nissan Sentra. I was leasing it, so had it for 32 months before giving it back - and was glad to get rid of it. I thought I'd done all my research, even went so far as to trust the Consumer Reports New Car Guide I'd bought which listed it as a Recommended pick for the compact class. Jesus did they miss the boat on that rating. Underpowered even with the 5-speed I had in mine. Terrible in cold weather - it refused to start any time the temp dropped below -20* F.

Back