Is Newer Always Better?

Sean

Earthbound Extraterrestrial
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
I hit some new drivers today on a very fancy LM: it had a very large flat screen TV and gave all kinds of numbers, including ball speed, launch angle, spin rate, etc., as well as the ability to show you your shot.

In any event I hit the RAZR, new Cleveland, and SuperFast 2.0 none of which could top my five year old Alpha C830.2 Plasma head with the House of Forged HD Prototype shaft in terms of numbers.

Which begs the question. Is newer necessarily better?

Of course its not always better. But it certainly can be. Let me ask you this though. Your Alpha that you love is custom fit for you in length and shaft as you have stated before. Were any of the drivers you tested fit for you?

I have my eyes set on the new TM Burner Superfast driver in white...My driver is currently 1 year old, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it and I hit it well :D The only thing it has is chips in the face where the paint is (probably from my miss hits, LOL), but the new driver may not work for me as I'm familiar with my current one year old driver and hit it well. I guess it just all depends :confused2:

I have yet to hit anything that goes further than my Hibore XL. I have hit and bought newer clubs that sound better and look better or course, but nothing so far that gives me the same level of consistant performance. I think once they got up to 460cc and the big MOI and COR numbers, the diferences became more about feel, look, and where on the face they are more forgiving.

No, newer isn't always better. But, older isn't always better, either ;)

No, but for me it helps. I like change with certain clubs and after a year or two I really get tired of my driver. I still haven't found a great combo for me yet so I'm still looking.

Nope, I refuse to get rid of my FT-3. I may experiment a lot, but that thing is my go to when times are tough. lol

No, but at some point your driver will lose some pop, depending on how much you play.

Changing to something new isn't always better, but keeping an open eye to whats out there and being up to date on how it works for you should be. I really like how my old R9 works, I've yet to find something that works better for me, but I had something before that that was working great until this beat it.

No, but at some point your driver will lose some pop, depending on how much you play.

So it's not like a softball bat? Cause right now I have an OG Flex that is on fire right now. I know she's on her last leg, but damn.

So it's not like a softball bat? Cause right now I have an OG Flex that is on fire right now. I know she's on her last leg, but damn.

Softball bats most definately lose their pop! The only difference is a softball bat will actually get hotter with use up to a point and then it starts falling off quick.

Softball bats most definately lose their pop! The only difference is a softball bat will actually get hotter with use up to a point and then it starts falling off quick.

See my experience is they get hot and then blow, never get to the spiral downward as you say. Shark tooth, crack, and explode. When my flex goes I may cry.

Yeah softball bats are great right before the composite snaps. I have a Craze that is just sick right now

For me, a new driver and 3 wood was better, but I can't turn loose of my 6 year old irons & wedges or a 40 year old putter. No sure fire answer.

So funny you say that. I almost used that as an example, but figured this site is about golf. My Combat AntiVirus from '08 still has major "pop", but I am thinking this is its last year. They die quick once it happens.

So funny you say that. I almost used that as an example, but figured this site is about golf. My Combat AntiVirus from '08 still has major "pop", but I am thinking this is its last year. They die quick once it happens.

Got one of those too, the new Rusty AV isn't bad. Alot of Demarini's new stuff is pretty sweet out of the wrapper as well. The One MLC, One.12, and of course there's the RD28.

I'm still using my RAC LT2 irons I purchased and was fitted for in 2005, along with my V-Steel 3 and 5 woods, but would like to change to the R9 to match the driver. I also changed wedges to Vokey Spin Milled and they are doing their job. I may also change putters too, both the Rife and Yes! Callie are not acting right at the moment.

I think newer is mostly better in terms of bringing new technology to help the player, but that's usually in larger chunks of time, where as year to year newer probably usually isn't better.

Got one of those too, the new Rusty AV isn't bad. Alot of Demarini's new stuff is pretty sweet out of the wrapper as well. The One MLC, One.12, and of course there's the RD28.

Man, my favorite bat of all time was the first Demarini double wall that came out in about 1997 or so. But 1 swing in weather under 50 degrees and bye bye $200. Huge dent. HAHA

I went to Dick's not too long ago and hit the Octane driver and left disappointed. I was hoping it would be right for me because it had the Project X shaft that I really liked at the THP outing. I hit many drivers during a test fitting with my coach and ended up liking the one I already had (R9 SuperTri) best even though my spin rate was still higher than I wanted and my ball did not roll out very well.

I really wanted to try the new Clevelands so our rep did a fitting session on a launch monitor at the Learning Center where I take lessons. My coach was there too so I knew I was in good hands being properly fitted. I hit several of their drivers at different lofts and flexes. Had I just walked into the store and picked a regular shaft 270 off the shelf, I would have thought the Cleveland's weren't for me either and I probably wouldn't have tried the 290. It took trying many different options on an open driving range with a launch monitor before I found out exactly what was best for me.

I am seeing many demo days going on at golf courses everywhere with many brands represented. I think they would be a perfect opportunity to find what works best. Of course, if you have something working really well for you, I say look no further!!!

I have replaced most of my clubs in the past year, Why because I have handed down many of my old ones to my sons. But are they all better then what I had in some cases yes and in some probably not. I can say that my driver was a great choice for me but I did get it fitted at a demo days. Same with my irons got them fitted at the shop. However maybe if I had done that with my old set I would still have them in my bag not. I have been looking for a new 3 wood and have tried many new ones. I still have the R7 in the bag and have not hit anything any better YET. Still looking.

Of course its not always better. But it certainly can be. Let me ask you this though. Your Alpha that you love is custom fit for you in length and shaft as you have stated before. Were any of the drivers you tested fit for you?
No JB. I was just testing a variety of new drivers. The SuperFast 2.0 came the closest to matching the Alpha though.

I went to Dick's not too long ago and hit the Octane driver and left disappointed. I was hoping it would be right for me because it had the Project X shaft that I really liked at the THP outing. I hit many drivers during a test fitting with my coach and ended up liking the one I already had (R9 SuperTri) best even though my spin rate was still higher than I wanted and my ball did not roll out very well.

I really wanted to try the new Clevelands so our rep did a fitting session on a launch monitor at the Learning Center where I take lessons. My coach was there too so I knew I was in good hands being properly fitted. I hit several of their drivers at different lofts and flexes. Had I just walked into the store and picked a regular shaft 270 off the shelf, I would have thought the Cleveland's weren't for me either and I probably wouldn't have tried the 290. It took trying many different options on an open driving range with a launch monitor before I found out exactly what was best for me.

I am seeing many demo days going on at golf courses everywhere with many brands represented. I think they would be a perfect opportunity to find what works best. Of course, if you have something working really well for you, I say look no further!!!
Good advice. I've hit some of the new drivers on the range as well (out into the snow), and my mainstay simply works better.

Back