TaylorMade Tour Preferred MB Review Thread

Zero stingers today. I hit that 8 iron way off the toe and didn't realize how poorly I had hit it until after I looked at the mark on the face. So that was nice, again very similar to the MP-57 actually.

Well that is very good to know! Glad you are enjoying these so much.

Excellent write up Jake, you echo my thoughts.

Excellent write up Jake, you echo my thoughts.
Thanks man, you're inspiring me with your great commentary! This summer we'll have to make an effort to get together for a round, heck we're just on the opposite side of Iowa from one another, it's not that big of a state!

nice review Jake, it was cool seeing how you chose to play things and the outcomes. sounds like you had a good time. Thanks for the feedback

Who's Jake :confused2:? Great job P4B ! I enjoyed the writeup.

oh yea now I know. One-T's talking about the radio personality :thumb:

Thanks man, you're inspiring me with your great commentary! This summer we'll have to make an effort to get together for a round, heck we're just on the opposite side of Iowa from one another, it's not that big of a state!

Yep there is some great courses in Ames and Des Moines. I'm sure Hawk would be down to. I just need a little heads up cause I have to work Saturdays now, so I would have to use some vaca.

Even though I'm not testing these, I really like them. The few shots I took sounded and felt great. Those who prefer a blade really should try them out.

Took these "out" again today. Unfortunately I wasn't able to go to the range with Hawk as I am in the process of changing jobs and moving a 10 foot long toolbox around along with all the of the tools is somewhat time consuming.

Anyways I have some buddies at the local Golf Discount so I took a 5i and 8i there to show off and leech off of their indoor mat. It was a miserable 30* out today and misting/snowing all day.

There wasn't really any breakthroughs today as I was hitting into a net 5 feet away so no ball flight characteristics were able to be observed. However after letting 3 of the people hit the irons there they all agreed on a couple things.

Look: These things are beautifully new age. What do I mean? Once again they aren't a Titleist blade that looks the same as it did in 1970. The sleekness is very appealing though. Everyone seemed to like the new tech look, including myself.

Balance: Probably the most common word used to describe how immaculate these things feel when in hand. The balance between head and shaft is simply amazing. I have never had a club feel so perfect throughout the swing.

Feel: Very smooth sound and feel with a well struck ball. But it's actually the slight mishits that really impress me with these. Forgiveness isn't a word you generally associate with blades and rightfully so. Also while most people who are thinking of purchasing blades aren't concerned with forgiveness this is offered as an added bonus. Slight mishits don't punish you in the hands or the ballflight. You feel it, but it does not hurt.

Unfortunately that's all for now, the temps are predicted in the 40's and 50's with no snow, so hopefully some courses will open up soon and i will be able to really put these through the gambit.

As always feel free to ask any questions!

I know that you were bummed to miss out on the outdoor range, but I think its cool that you at least went somewhere to hit them.

Tapatalk keeps me sane.

I know that you were bummed to miss out on the outdoor range, but I think its cool that you at least went somewhere to hit them.

Tapatalk keeps me sane.

Yah this past week has been brutal. This terrible weather isn't helping at all either.

Forgiveness isn't a word you generally associate with blades and rightfully so. Also while most people who are thinking of purchasing blades aren't concerned with forgiveness this is offered as an added bonus. Slight mishits don't punish you in the hands or the ballflight. You feel it, but it does not hurt.
I feel the exact same way. I've even reference the forgiveness that I find with the MBs, it just seems to weird saying that about muscle back blades but it's really true.

I'm dying to hit these again, it's been since Thursday! I'm going to the indoor range Monday @ lunch and still keeping an eye on Omaha weather for a trek south to play.

Nice job Jrod...I hate you dont have good weather for these but it will come. Keep up the good work!!

I'm heading to the driving range at lunch today to reconnect with these babies again. It's been since Thursday that I've hit them....we're overdue!

Enjoy it buddy!

I'm heading to the driving range at lunch today to reconnect with these babies again. It's been since Thursday that I've hit them....we're overdue!

Have fun today buddy!!!

Have you ever had one of those range sessions that just went so well that you leave feeling like a million bucks? Almost as satisfying as a good round of golf if you ask me. That is exactly what I just had with the TP MBs today. I hit around 90 balls and of those 70 or so were with the PW and the 6i of this set. I started out with the PW and just knew it was going to be a good day right away. I felt and heard the lovely click of the ball hitting the sweet spot with my first swing and I just couldn't wait to keep on going. I didn't really want to go through the entire bag today because really after I got started hitting so well I really focused more on the way the ball was popping off and just how high I was able to hit these when struck right on the money. Not Burner 2.0 high, but a lot higher than I expected for sure. I was in the dome again today so I had 70 yards of carry before hitting the back wall, this actually really makes for a great way to manipulate the trajectory of the shots since you know immediately how high or low you hit the ball. Today I was picking spots and nailing them almost every time, definitely one of those very fun times at the driving range!

Here's a shot of both the 6i and the PW afterwards today, a lot of the contact was right there in the middle of the face, maybe even just a tad toward the toe but that was a money spot today for sure. You can see I did catch a couple out there a little too far, I like to call those reality checks...those shots that remind me that I'm really an I.T. guy at a hospital rather than a golfer for a living. One or two bad ones aside it was a great day. I did hit a few with the 4i too just to see if maybe my 6 was somehow fooling me and most of my shots with that were well up the back wall before running out of room to fly, today more than ever I left there knowing that my game is definitely good enough for these irons!

I'm considering taking these to my club fitter and just checking the lie angles on them as I think I can get that impact closer to dead center. I didn't notice any negative feel and/or ball flight but just looking at the spot where most of the balls hit I think that should be back just a bit. I'll follow up on that! I got them standard but since my last fitting it appears as if my swing has changed just a bit.

005-4.jpg

There is a weird shadow on the face of the 6i (front) that makes it look like a lot were high and off the toe but aside from 1 or 2 that really wasn't the case.

P4B that is some nice shooting my friend. I love the looks of these irons. Sounds like the performance is matching that for you.

Great stuff P4B! Glad you had such a great range session today!

Nice write up there jason. If you do go get them bent let me know how that works out for you

Nice write up there jason. If you do go get them bent let me know how that works out for you
I sure will. I'm not going to rush out and do it right now, especially since my ball flight and the feel were just fine. I need to get on real grass and see how everything works for me before I make any modifications.

Good stuff P4B!

Excellent stuff P4B. I'm really loving these things. Can't wait to get them on the real stuff for some longterm testing. The couple shots I hit before the old guy at the range yelled at me were just "lovely".

I was at the club yesterday at the range and as I was leaving passed a bag by the putting green and what was in it? TM MB's. I wanted to go around and ask who was hitting them, but... Judging by the other equipment and logos I think they must be staff.

Nice feedback so far Jake and JRod. Sounds to me like you both have some serious contenders in your bag. I can't wait for you guys to be able to get out to a grass range or on the course soon. That will be the true test.

I will say that the ball flight I saw from these vs Jrod's Nike blades was night and day (when he hit them).

Back