The Official 2011 NFL Draft Thread

Off-Topic...Anyone follow HighSchool Signing Day stuff?, Rivals.com, ect,ect? Has anyone watched a Jadaveon Clowney mix-tape, the kid is a man among boys...but dumb as heck.

Sounds like the Draft could be really interesting this year (and hard to do Mock Drafts for). I've read several places that owners are almost positive that a Rookie Wage Scale will be implemented as part of the new CBA which will pay the draft picks a lot less than what they are making now in guaranteed money. I have also seen it projected that this lower initial investment in rookies will cause GMs to possibly take a risky player with big upside higher in the draft than they would under the current CBA.

Cam Newton would be a good example of this which is why some mocks have him as high as #3 to the Bills (even though I lothe the guy).

I wonder how many good players Ted Thompson will pick in rounds 3 through 7 this year?

Kevin

After the upcoming combine I can see Cam Newton going number one. Its kinda like the Jamarcus Russell effect. Newton is such an amazing athlete that Carolina will just fall head over heels in love with him after the show he will put on there. Newton is a freak of an athlete, but after only one year of major college football, I have no idea whats between those ears. There is no player who just seems to stand head and shoulders above everyone else, that's why I see Newton's potential making him the first pick.

When it comes to Luck, I think he made the right decision, would you want to come out taken number one, sign a fat contract/rookie scale (all up in the air) and then not see a dime of it until the labor agreements are all over? I'll take finish my schooling for free and then come out any day over this mess; even with a new coach.

Been watching the NFL Combine whenever I can....yeah, I already know I have issues, ...but I just saw some kid from Oregon bench the standard 225lbs 49 times! in under a minute too. seriously?

Julio Jones is a monster.

without Andrew Luck in the draft this year, can anyone really believe that Blaine Gabbert from Mizzou is the best QB right now? He needs to send Luck a big 'thank you' check after he gets signed.

IT has been interesting to see Jake Locker's stock fall throughout the season. I'm somewhat puzzled by Gabbert's rise. If you watched him play the guy can't go left, square his shoulders and make a throw. That's a huge deficiency for the number 1 qb prospect to have. If I'm a DC i'm calling any sort of pressure to the right to force him left. I don't know if he has the mental game to be the guy in the league either. He gets frustrated easily.

IT has been interesting to see Jake Locker's stock fall throughout the season. I'm somewhat puzzled by Gabbert's rise. If you watched him play the guy can't go left, square his shoulders and make a throw. That's a huge deficiency for the number 1 qb prospect to have. If I'm a DC i'm calling any sort of pressure to the right to force him left. I don't know if he has the mental game to be the guy in the league either. He gets frustrated easily.

I still think Jake Locker will be taken in the first 20 picks, maybe higher. I am a Husky season ticket holder, and watched almost every game of his career. His measurables are off the chart, (40 time, arm strength, jumping, etc.). All it takes is one team to think he is a franchise QB. He is a smart kid and a tireless worker too. His accuracy is an issue, but he had a coaching change and not a ton of talent around him. He may be the steal of the first round if he falls past 20.

I still think Jake Locker will be taken in the first 20 picks, maybe higher. I am a Husky season ticket holder, and watched almost every game of his career. His measurables are off the chart, (40 time, arm strength, jumping, etc.). All it takes is one team to think he is a franchise QB. He is a smart kid and a tireless worker too. His accuracy is an issue, but he had a coaching change and not a ton of talent around him. He may be the steal of the first round if he falls past 20.

I'm a big Coach Sarkisian fan. Would Locker go play baseball if he didn't make some noise in the draft?

I think you just torpedoed your own arguement. Russel is still too fresh in the minds of GM's and knowing how cheap Carolina's GM is I doubt he'll make Newton the #1 pick just for the reasons I highlighted below. Plus they still have Clausen so if they're going to take another QB they may do it in 2 or 3 if someone slides.
After the upcoming combine I can see Cam Newton going number one. Its kinda like the Jamarcus Russell effect. Newton is such an amazing athlete that Carolina will just fall head over heels in love with him after the show he will put on there. Newton is a freak of an athlete, but after only one year of major college football, I have no idea whats between those ears. There is no player who just seems to stand head and shoulders above everyone else, that's why I see Newton's potential making him the first pick.

Really hoping that Carolina takes Newton at #1 so the Broncos can have their pick of the DLine. Either way it could be a win/win if Newton wows everyone in the next month. If Carolina doesn't pick him someone might just fall in love with him to trade with Denver to make sure he doesn't go to Buffalo.

I really like Ryan Mallett in this draft. Lots of questions surrounding him but I think if he finds the right situation where he can develop for 2 years a la Rodgers then I think that team will reap the rewards.

I'm a big Coach Sarkisian fan. Would Locker go play baseball if he didn't make some noise in the draft?

I think baseball is still on the table for him, but only if he fails in football, which we wont know for a few years. He will get drafted in the first round most likely, second round for sure. If he goes to the right team, he can sit for a couple of years and learn. He may not see the field at all for a couple of years ala Aaron Rodgers. I find it hard to believe that he will not be in the NFL for a good number of years.

he was going to be anyway....now he may be top 3

Ya, it was more along the lines of, he just cemeted a top 5 pick for sure.

I also like the other top DL cant think of his name(maybe Dareus?), but he is a little bigger than fairley and his 10 yard time is better than his. I think he is 319 to fairley's 290 or something like that. Also seems to have a better attitude from what they were saying.

I think this will scare some teams off about Fairley and he may fall to the bottom of the Top 10
Ya, it was more along the lines of, he just cemeted a top 5 pick for sure.

I also like the other top DL cant think of his name(maybe Dareus?), but he is a little bigger than fairley and his 10 yard time is better than his. I think he is 319 to fairley's 290 or something like that. Also seems to have a better attitude from what they were saying.

Anyone else see the kid from Oregon do 49 reps on flat bench a new record

I did see cam newton go 11 -21 in the accuracy passer rating...

Leading up to the draft Id like to see the Cowboys release both Barber and Newman and then sign Nnamdi Asomugha. Then in the draft Id love to see Von Miller on the Cowboys but I think he'll be gone by #9.

Leading up to the draft Id like to see the Cowboys release both Barber and Newman and then sign Nnamdi Asomugha. Then in the draft Id love to see Von Miller on the Cowboys but I think he'll be gone by #3.

FIFY..

I hoping to see my Steelers draft some OL and a few DB's

Esox might have to like the cowboys a little bit after the draft. One of his wisconsin boys might be a cowboy, JJ Watt.

Nice to see Prince run a good time today. The hubub in Nebraska was that he was in the 4.6 range. Ended up running 4.43. He looked a little stiff in the hips during transition in some of the corner drills today though.

I wish he would be available when my Ravens start on the clock.

Whatever happens I just hope this year's top draft pick doesn't "fall down some stairs and fracture his skull"

Back