TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Review Thread

One thing I noticed yesterday was that my 8 and 9 irons were similar in terms of distance for some reason. This may be something as simple as ball position but it was still nice to see that the ball flight was consistent with what One-T said earlier.....penetrating ball flight that rises up high and lands softly. Ball striking feels so nice with these it's not even funny. I think this set could benefit all skill levels

That does make sense now, I got a little scared as I'm not a perfect ball striker by any means! I can't wait to try these out.

Either am I at all. Don't get scared off by what I'm saying. I just wanted to make the point that while these offer the forgiveness of cavity back iron, they are not the most forgiving iron out on the market. I think they are geared towards a certain group of players that prefer a smaller head, thinner sole and topline, along with some forgiveness and a higher ball flight.

Spent some more time with the irons yesterday afternoon and again briefly this morning. A couple of quick things I want to touch on today.

First - I find the CBs to be plenty forgiving, but I do not want people to confuse the forgiveness I am seeing here with that of the Burner 2.0 irons or one with a club head made up of more mass. These seem to do the trick with me just fine, but if you really struggle with your ball striking, either out on the toe or heel or high on the club face, I would recommend something that offers a little more forgiveness still.

Second - One area that these are really working for me is in the touch shots. I have found that I end up in between clubs quite a bit at some courses and just like everybody there will be gaps (they may be even, but they exist). Taking an extra club and working with finesse is something that the CB's do extremely well. I have enjoyed it so much I have even started using the PW around the greens more than I used to. Tremendous feedback through the hands and the touch shots are all about that.

One thing I noticed yesterday was that my 8 and 9 irons were similar in terms of distance for some reason. This may be something as simple as ball position but it was still nice to see that the ball flight was consistent with what One-T said earlier.....penetrating ball flight that rises up high and lands softly. Ball striking feels so nice with these it's not even funny. I think this set could benefit all skill levels

Thats strange to be honest, go get the lofts checked out on them.

I would completely agree with you here JB, I find myself in between distances a lot and havebeen able to smooth them more than previous clubs I have used.

Can anyone compare them to the feel of say the VR Pro Combo's? To me the VR's are second to none in terms of feel, but will admit the CB's have me curious.

Can anyone compare them to the feel of say the VR Pro Combo's? To me the VR's are second to none in terms of feel, but will admit the CB's have me curious.

I think JB can do that for you.

Very different irons in my opinion. I like both sets quite a bit, but would compare the VR Pro combos more to a combo set of Tour Preferred MC and MB combo set (that one can do with these).

THe CB's will offer in my opinion more forgiveness than the combo set.

Very different irons in my opinion. I like both sets quite a bit, but would compare the VR Pro combos more to a combo set of Tour Preferred MC and MB combo set (that one can do with these).

THe CB's will offer in my opinion more forgiveness than the combo set.

I was speaking in terms of feel, playability I'd assume the CB's would be more forgiving 3-4 and 8-PW, with a draw to the splits. The VR's are some of the softest forgings I've hit. Would the CB's be closer to say a clicky titleist or a softer VR/Mizuno?

I was speaking in terms of feel, playability I'd assume the CB's would be more forgiving 3-4 and 8-PW, with a draw to the splits. The VR's are some of the softest forgings I've hit. Would the CB's be closer to say a clicky titleist or a softer VR/Mizuno?

They are still more forgiving to the splits. They would be equal to that of the MC not the CB in my opinion.

As to the feel, it is very subjective. I liked the VRs quite a bit, but did not think they were in my top 5 over the last couple of years in terms of feel, so I might not be the best judge to help with you here.

They are still more forgiving to the splits. They would be equal to that of the MC not the CB in my opinion.

As to the feel, it is very subjective. I liked the VRs quite a bit, but did not think they were in my top 5 over the last couple of years in terms of feel, so I might not be the best judge to help with you here.

Well I'll probably try them all, but I love my VR's. I'm looking for a second set to play with and maybe take the place of my i15's.

I would agree with JB here...you are trying to compare an apple to an orange so its hard to give good feedback.

Awesome reviews guys! These really seem like awesome irons.

JB, how would you say these stack up with the other new GI irons for this year? The new VR Pro Cavities come to mind. Are they similar performance wise (distance/accuracy) or are there aspects that are better or worse compared to others? I know some things will be subjective to the player, but for the hard stats (distance/accuracy) how do these fair?

JB, how would you say these stack up with the other new GI irons for this year? The new VR Pro Cavities come to mind. Are they similar performance wise (distance/accuracy) or are there aspects that are better or worse compared to others? I know some things will be subjective to the player, but for the hard stats (distance/accuracy) how do these fair?

I will try and chime in here. I think based on looks(topline, sole, etc) these are ver similar to the Nikes. I think the Nikes may be just a little more forgiving though, but I will say that when the CB's are hit center of the face...nothing compares!

I dont think it should really be a comparison because they are a different iron. Almost a hybrid of a GI and GE

I will try and chime in here. I think based on looks(topline, sole, etc) these are ver similar to the Nikes. I think the Nikes may be just a little more forgiving though, but I will say that when the CB's are hit center of the face...nothing compares!

Any thoughts on distance T?

I dont think it should really be a comparison because they are a different iron. Almost a hybrid of a GI and GE

You're talking about the CB JB? While the VR is strictly GI?

Any thoughts on distance T?

I would say that they are close but I havent had much time with the Nikes and it was at a range. so, really its hard to say

I would say that they are close but I havent had much time with the Nikes and it was at a range. so, really its hard to say

Cool man thanks!

You're talking about the CB JB? While the VR is strictly GI?

Yes the CB. It is still a smaller club head with less offset and geared towards a different player.

Yes the CB. It is still a smaller club head with less offset and geared towards a different player.

I see. Based on what the majority of the posts so far, these seemed to me to be more in the GI category. Good info, thanks.

I see. Based on what the majority of the posts so far, these seemed to me to be more in the GI category. Good info, thanks.

well, part of this might be because not one of us has spoken about the "workability" of the club. and I will be honest, I am not the type to try and work the ball, I just want it to go where I am aiming. I will say that I did try to hit a draw the other the day with my PW and I pulled it off. I will also say that I was left of the green, so it was not succesful.

well, part of this might be because not one of us has spoken about the "workability" of the club. and I will be honest, I am not the type to try and work the ball, I just want it to go where I am aiming. I will say that I did try to hit a draw the other the day with my PW and I pulled it off. I will also say that I was left of the green, so it was not succesful.

I am the same way. My game is not to the point where I'd feel comfortable trying to work the ball left or right. In time.

So I guess TM's thing about a certain handicap rings true, ie these are not the Burners and therefore not a full GI iron, but something infact geared towards a "better" player.

maybe they are your first 'serious' set if you think you've outgrown a full GI type of iron?
I am the same way. My game is not to the point where I'd feel comfortable trying to work the ball left or right. In time.

So I guess TM's thing about a certain handicap rings true, ie these are not the Burners and therefore not a full GI iron, but something infact geared towards a "better" player.

maybe they are your first 'serious' set if you think you've outgrown a full GI type of iron?

That could be, however, I don't think I've outgrown GI. Not yet anyways. Maybe down the road. I'm sure these would appealing to a large number of golfers. I know they appeal to me, looks wise at least. I am still very interested to try these in May though.

Back