What job lets you play the most golf?

when i worked in san diego i was a lab rat... the clinical side worked 2nd and 3rd shift so you'd get the whole day off which was perfect for surf in the morning or a quick round or both... i played all the time
but my boss played wayyyy more cuz he wasnt as tired hahaha

Mines pretty sweet, 2 weeks at work then 3 weeks off to golf as much as I want.
Offshore in the oil industry

I do pretty well with my IT job.
I work 4 - 10hr days and have Friday, Saturday and Sunday every week to play golf.

Being retired helps to free up the time. I usually play three or four days a week depending on the weather. The weather this week has not been conducive to having a lot of free time.

I'm in IT as well, the majority of the clients I support are in Europe and the Pacific Rim, so I work 5am to 1:30 pm I hit the range or play a round 6-7 days a week. At my club they have a player development program that costs $100 a month and that gives me unlimited range time, free group lessons on Sundays from May through Aug. and free golf including a cart if I want it after 3 during the season and after 1 in the off season. Hard to beat $100 a month for all the golf you can play, damn near anyone can afford that

Self employed lets you play the most golf.

I took a weekend shift at the plant, best part time job I've ever had, I was playing 3-4x's a week until I got bit by the drag racing bug.

Working at the golf course. Free golf before, after and sometimes during work. Cant beat that.

Especially when that self employment is running the best golf forum in the world!

After looking through the "What do you do for a living?" thread. I noticed that we have people that do all types of jobs out there.

What I want to know is, what job (other than a tour pro) lets you afford and have time to play the most golf? (This does not have to be your job)

To start if off, I am a teacher and I work 5 days a week from 7:30 to 3:00. This gives me the opportunity to play on the weekends and after school during the spring and fall. I get the summers off which gives me a lot of time to play during the months of June-August. The only problem with teaching is that I can't afford to play as much as I have time off.

What other jobs out there give you time to play and have the money to play?

Try volunteering at a course. They normally let you play for free in as part of the deal. It would work out great for you in the summer months.

Try volunteering at a course. They normally let you play for free in as part of the deal. It would work out great for you in the summer months.

that's a great idea! at my last club....we had three high school teachers who worked for us. one volunteered but the other two were paid. they played golf all summer and made some extra cash.

I completely agree with this, even though I'm not self employed. In my job (pediatric emergency department physician), I get random weekdays off, so most of the guys that I meet on the course during those days are either retired, self-employed, or are very high up in their company (owner, president, etc.). I also meet a good number of teachers during the summer. My work hours are atypical compared to most physicians because I work at a hospital instead of at a clinic, so I usually get free time to play at least 2-3 weekdays per week. However, I also have to work a good number of nights and weekend days where I work, so it's a tradeoff. Also, I never play on the weekends up here because the courses are more crowded, the rates are higher, and most importantly my wife has weekends off so I get to spend time with her.

I run global sales for a large firm and have many golfing clients and prospects so it's more the norm then the exception that I get 2 clients rounds of golf in during the week if the weather permits.

I completely agree with this, even though I'm not self employed. In my job (pediatric emergency department physician), I get random weekdays off, so most of the guys that I meet on the course during those days are either retired, self-employed, or are very high up in their company (owner, president, etc.). I also meet a good number of teachers during the summer. My work hours are atypical compared to most physicians because I work at a hospital instead of at a clinic, so I usually get free time to play at least 2-3 weekdays per week. However, I also have to work a good number of nights and weekend days where I work, so it's a tradeoff. Also, I never play on the weekends up here because the courses are more crowded, the rates are higher, and most importantly my wife has weekends off so I get to spend time with her.

Unless you actually have a (golf) shop that you physically have to open to make some money!

My sister doesn't play golf, but she totally has a schedule for it. She's a pastry cook, works nights. Comes out and hangs out with me while I work sometimes. If she were a golfer, she could get some serious rounds in.

Have some doctors in the extended family that play 3 times a week. Not bad and not too grueling of a schedule in the time they are actually in the office (what a cliche right?). They are all solo practitioners too (they are their own boss). They book appointments, which makes taking time off for a round (ie half days) a whole lot easier (versus owning a shop or restaurant that just has to be open to get business).

my buddy is self employed and he is a golf freak
he makes boatloads of money... im talking shipping cargo boatloads
he never ever everrrrr plays golf anymore... he literally works 24/7/365
but when he goes on vacation... he'll play 36 holes rain or shine cuz vacations are rare for him

I am in sales and I can pretty much play whenever, but, when I am on the course I am not selling. so it is a catch 22. I say working at a course is the way to go. or at least be-friend someone who does. hehe

In MN, nothing beats being a teacher. They're off June, July & August - which are the best 3 months for golfing. Otherwise, it's tough to beat the time a retired person has for golf.

Been retired now for 6 years, not a bad gig for golf.....When I was working, my hours the last few years were 10PM to 8AM, 4 days a week (midnight shift by choice).....I had 3 days off if I wanted to golf... Sometimes I would go right to the course after work...If the course wasn't crowded I could play 18, have lunch and be home in bed by 1. If you didn't mind the work (Law Enforcement) it wasn't too bad...

Been retired now for 6 years, not a bad gig for golf.....When I was working, my hours the last few years were 10PM to 8AM, 4 days a week (midnight shift by choice).....I had 3 days off for golf, and sometimes would go right to the course after work...If the course wasn't crowded I could play 18, have lunch and be home in bed by 1. Wasn't too bad...
+1 Been retired for 3+ years my self and agree that is the best gig for golf. While working one of the perks was salesmen taking me to play at some pretty nice courses and being invited to play in several tournaments during the year all on their expense account. I do miss that part since retiring.

I'm in sales and play often with clients. I can't say it's the most for sure but I know I'm fortunate since I can expense rounds with clients too.

Been retired now for 6 years, not a bad gig for golf.....When I was working, my hours the last few years were 10PM to 8AM, 4 days a week (midnight shift by choice).....I had 3 days off if I wanted to golf... Sometimes I would go right to the course after work...If the course wasn't crowded I could play 18, have lunch and be home in bed by 1. If you didn't mind the work (Law Enforcement) it wasn't too bad...
Law enforcement and firefighting are both good jobs for golfing....you can get weekdays off so your green fees are cheaper and you don't have to face those 5-6 hour rounds on weekends when the course is packed with all the 9-to-5'ers. Cops and firefighters put on a lot of fundraiser/charity tournaments too, so plenty of opportunities for tournament play if that's your bag.

Lindy, I've done the "play after graveyard shift" thing plenty of times...the back nine usually fell completely apart for me because the fatigue started setting in, but I'd always come back for more!

I'm only 18 so I work at the golf course.. last year I worked part time and gave me soo much opportunity for golf. I was a member before I got the job there so even though there was free golf I still paid for the membership. I played 5-6 times a week.

This year I am working there again and still plan to get a membership as well. Although you do get free golf I wanted to pay the fee just to actually BE a member of the course and feel like one. Instead of just feeling like an employee that goes and jumps on for a free round.

Law enforcement and firefighting are both good jobs for golfing....you can get weekdays off so your green fees are cheaper and you don't have to face those 5-6 hour rounds on weekends when the course is packed with all the 9-to-5'ers. Cops and firefighters put on a lot of fundraiser/charity tournaments too, so plenty of opportunities for tournament play if that's your bag.

Lindy, I've done the "play after graveyard shift" thing plenty of times...the back nine usually fell completely apart for me because the fatigue started setting in, but I'd always come back for more!

It (fatigue) would sometimes hit me on 13 or 14, remedied by a pepsi and a power bar....But like you said, we came back for more.....And I did enjoy my weekdays off....Made for easier golf, shopping etc....Only minor problem was no one else had off.... A trade off I didn't mind....Met different people all the time on the course...I enjoyed that...

Sales is a good job to have when it comes to more golf. plus you get to golf different courses all the time.

teaching has its perks - this is one of them

Back