What job lets you play the most golf?

my Old job. Here in vegas people have the oddest schedules. My Old job had me working Mon-Fri from 10PM to 5 AM. Weekends to myself, then a round of golf everyday after work. Home and in bed by noon, wake up 7pm and do it all over again.

Lotto winner :D

definitely not my job! I am just lucky my GF likes to play golf so I get to play on the weekends! but almost never during the week...

Oil service company salesman is a great gig. When all your units are working nothing to do but play golf and keep them working.

I work as a Paramedic and usually work about 12-24 hr shifts a month. On the days off when my kids are in school it doesn't matter how much sleep I had the previous shift, I will be on the golf course. Red Bull is my friend on those days. I don't mind going out and playing a round on my own if I can't get anyone else to go with me. I used to work a 9-5 job and this is much more golf friendly schedule.

outside sales has it's advantages, plus I travel the country so I get a chance to hit'em all over. I don't mind a round by myself in the middle of the week.....3.5 hours and I'm done!

Going to school. Only costs $4 to walk nine holes at my muni for juniors. I plan on trying to get a job there to in a couple years.

After looking through the "What do you do for a living?" thread. I noticed that we have people that do all types of jobs out there.

What I want to know is, what job (other than a tour pro) lets you afford and have time to play the most golf? (This does not have to be your job)

To start if off, I am a teacher and I work 5 days a week from 7:30 to 3:00. This gives me the opportunity to play on the weekends and after school during the spring and fall. I get the summers off which gives me a lot of time to play during the months of June-August. The only problem with teaching is that I can't afford to play as much as I have time off.

What other jobs out there give you time to play and have the money to play?

I bartend at night, make pretty good money. I can play any day in the am, I'm aiming for 3-4 per week, with 2 days of practice, but i am in school so taking classes and trying to learn and pass them cuts into my golf. Hehe. I'm in a pretty good situation though, condos paid off, both my girlfriend and i work full time, so double income, no mortgage no kids. Lets me play a lot more than i should.

I have a lot of regulars that golf frequently, one owns an electrician business so he has employees/sectaries do most of the work.

Another is a lobbyist and he never works just golfs all day then comes to the bar an drinks .

I would sales Sales position allows me to play a great deal of golf. It seems that my clients love to play and my industy lends itself to golf on the down time (tradeshow) To play more golf I recommend you offer to pick the range in return for rounds of golf at your local club. You could also be a rangers and trade out for golf. Good luck with more golf!

My old job at a large CPA firm gave me the opportunity to play plenty of golf during the week since many of my clients were hospitals which had golf outings as fundraisers. We also had summer flex time, and as a manager I made my own schedule and reported to a partner who golfed more than I did! Now that I work for a private corporation, I won't have quite the same flexibility.

Of course, as you said, nothing beats playing professional golf on tour as a living :rockon:

Last edited:
Well I have gotten lucky enough to have a wife that makes all the money so that has been the best job for me to get the most golf in. I also get to golf all over the USA :act-up:

Well I have gotten lucky enough to have a wife that makes all the money so that has been the best job for me to get the most golf in. I also get to golf all over the USA :act-up:

AKA - hitting the jackpot!

Apparently selling doors and windows, my father law works in that business and will be going to the The Players and will also get to play the course

I don't know from personal experience, but I would think drug dealing would be right up there.

I don't know from personal experience, but I would think drug dealing would be right up there.

come, I've never noticed anyone selling crack on the course.....LOL

I get to play quite often, weather permitting. I'm a car salesman. But work 5 mins from my home course. So, I get to play almost everynight after work. It also helps that I'm single...

I agree, working at a golf course makes it super easy, doesnt matter if ur a pro or a worker

I work rotating shifts (Days to Swings to Mids) on the ISS program.(read..chained to the flight room for 9 hours..no chance of escape)
During dayshifts, I dont get a chance to play at all....(although I will try and start playing 9 every now and then from like 5-7)
During Swings, when it is cold, I will play 9 holes from about 11-1. when it is warm, I can play 18 from about 9-1
During Mids, when it is cold, I do not play. When it warms up, I will play 9 or 18 starting at about 3pm

At least this is the plan for my new job....

bama

I tell you what, being a father of two young boys definitely doesn't allow for much golf. Get out once a month, with range session once a week or every other week. I am in engineering with a flexible schedule, to bad none of my golf buddies can leave early from work.

UK firefighter, my wife is one and she works 2days 8am-6pm then 2 nights 6pm to 8am followed by 4 days off.

I'm working on my Ph.D. and hope to become a professor. Starting professors tend to work a lot of hours, but mostly get to do it on their own schedule. I have quite a few who are in their offices from, say, noon or so until 9 or 10pm; others get in at 7am and leave by 2 or 3pm. So having the flexibility can, in theory, lead to a lot of golfing time.

Firefighter in theory till you get involved in other things(projects,jobs)

I tell you what, being a father of two young boys definitely doesn't allow for much golf. Get out once a month, with range session once a week or every other week. I am in engineering with a flexible schedule, to bad none of my golf buddies can leave early from work.

My golf schedule went right in the crapper when my kids arrived. Not complaining, just an observation.

Short of being retired, any overnight job would be great for playing golf, I would think.

As you can see, sales is your best bet. Lottery, odds are against you. Retirement- you have to do the time first, don't know how old you are. I run maintenance in a power plant and I can tell you that I have sales reps calling me all the time to talk about their products and offer me and a few of my workmates a round of golf. Usually at nicer courses too. Free golf for me and they will expense the golf so it doesn't cost them a dime. They usually come loaded with swag as well, hats, golf towels, golf balls etc...
I would recommend getting a technical sales position dealing in heavy industry-products catering to power plants, refineries, oil industry etc. These places practically print money so the stuff they are selling is expensive which translates to more money to the sales company which trickles down to better perks for you to offer your clients. If you can get on with Siemens Energy I would go that route as well. Can't say much about GE since I've never dealt with them. Toshiba and Mitsubishi has never offered to even provide a lunch so they don't get squat I guess. Siemens offers us golf outing and will drop a few thousand dollars on a nice dinner for a group and not bat an eye. Being on the receiving end of this is nice too, but the sales guys get to do it week in and week out. Once again think Sales-Heavy Industrial. Most of these positions do require a mechanical, chemicl, or electrical engineering degree but there are always exceptions.

Back