Why is greenside spin so important?

With ball fitting becoming more 'mainstream' if you like, will this trend of going towards tour balls slow down? Will it add a couple of dollars to a box of balls to compensate for 'fitting costs' (ie revenue lost from premium ball sales)? Or will the very popular companies just plough more into the marketing side of things to try to marginalise the smaller companies who offer good fitting service?

No, I dont think so. In the end, golfers will buy what the pros play. Keep in mind I am talking about golfers as a general term and not anybody here or even the sector of golfer that might come to a golf forum.

This is another one of those questions which boils down to ball striking skills, and that usually goes hand in hand with handicap. A 5 handicap player is going to be able to put the clubhead on the ball in a more consistent manner than a 15 handicapper, and that will result in more consistent spin and a lower percentage of miss hits.

The 15+ handicapper is not typically as well served by using a urethane ball because he doesn't get consistent results with it. He'd be better off with a surlyn/ionomer covered ball and just learn to play the roll. A decently struck full shot is still going to check quickly with a short to mid iron, and a poorly struck shot isn't going to be very good no matter what ball he uses. His chips will be be more consistent if he uses a less lofted club and plays the roll out. He will suffer less from his inevitable chunks and skulls.

Simple, amateurs want to emulate the pros. If it works for them, it should work for us, no one likes to admit they're not as good as we think/are.

Not true of everyone. I pay very very little attention to what the pro's are playing. I may be in the minority and I hate to tell the marketing guys, but I don't buy into the hype in most cases and really pay little attention to it.

Well for me it is very important. Mostly because it's how I like to hit shots to and around the green. Irons shots not really that important. I mean yes I do like them to stop within 10 of so feet but not where I factor in so much backspin or anything like that.

Around the green I like to ball to stop and check within a few feet of where I'm aiming. I like to use my 58 and flop shots in a get them to check and roll out just a few feet. I use my 52 when I want more roll out but I prefer using my 58 given the chance to pick.

I think greenside spin is very important factor when playing shots where the ball is going uphill or downhill. This also determines if I pull my 52 or 58 wedge due to if I need ball to check and roll out or stop and trickle. Depending on how you are able to spin the ball affects how you can play certain shots. I think this also shows how comfortable you are with your wedges and how you like to ball to roll out or check. I just prefer a ball with alot of greenside spin since putting has always been a weakness for me. I like to throw the ball close as hole I can get and this (hopefully) helps me have alot shorter putts. It always helps me with errants shots around the green where I'm trying to get up and down to make a par.

Not true of everyone. I pay very very little attention to what the pro's are playing. I may be in the minority and I hate to tell the marketing guys, but I don't buy into the hype in most cases and really pay little attention to it.

I'm not pointing anyone out, just stating my opinion to as to why there are players who use ill-fitted balls for their game, I'm a trial and error kinda guy as well. If you're happy with what you have, by all means stick with it!

I'm not pointing anyone out, just stating my opinion to as to why there are players who use ill-fitted balls for their game, I'm a trial and error kinda guy as well. If you're happy with what you have, by all means stick with it!

I understand what your saying. I use to spend some time at Golfwrx and it always left me shaking my head if you followed the replies and remarks each week when the pictures of the pro's and their equipment where posted each week from a professional event. A good number of people do want what the pro's play and the replies make that clear, with no regard as to whether or not is right for them.
Just sayin....not true of everyone however. This is one of the things I love about this site as apposed to the one mentioned. Here I see guys like JB making a point almost daily about how important it is to be fit for everything in ones bag, while not so true other places.

I wonder how many people on this forum alone have added the DG Spinner shafts to their wedges to help create more spin? I look for any additional spin I can get, but mostly only look for it on mid range approach shots. Close to the green I'm not really looking for anything crazy, generally just a bump and run shot that I want to run on out. Off the tee and from any distance I'm looking for spin to help me get the ball inti the air to help distance, I just have to watch side spin.

I added Spinner shafts to a couple of wedges as part of my plan to get away from the ProV ball. I did this after hitting a couple of hundred shots using a Spinner shaft (at a off course shop) before I bought mine and switched. My spin rate increased about 8 to 10 percent. If I get less spin with the Bridgestone ball, it should offset a little with the shaft change. Again for me, this was not something I just did. It was done with the aid of a professional in a custom golf shop.

This has been a fun thread to read. I think I echo some of the comments from the higher handicapper's out there: I am not looking for or, really wanting spin on the green. I don't think that I have once thought to myself before a shot that I want to put it long and draw it back to the hole. The vast majority of the time I am looking for the center of the green and hope for a two putt. Maybe as my game gets better (I hope) I will start thinking about spin on the green but now just trying to hit greens in regulation.

This thread makes me wonder how hard of a time ball-fitters must have trying to tell people to not play tour balls. I have no problem spinning most clubs, but all I want to have is a consistent distance. I don't mind if it checks up right there or rolls out a few feet as long as it does the same thing every time. I would also say one of the biggest mistakes I see is people hitting green side shots almost all the way to the pin in the air and then yelling "CHECK! CHECK!" as it rolls way past. Also, the short flops everyone hits and expect to check like Phil's. They never do. Just because you're playing a tour ball doesn't mean you can stop them on a dime. I'd stick with balls that give better distance and tighter dispersion on mis-hits. That's just my opinion though.

This thread makes me wonder how hard of a time ball-fitters must have trying to tell people to not play tour balls. I have no problem spinning most clubs, but all I want to have is a consistent distance. I don't mind if it checks up right there or rolls out a few feet as long as it does the same thing every time. I would also say one of the biggest mistakes I see is people hitting green side shots almost all the way to the pin in the air and then yelling "CHECK! CHECK!" as it rolls way past. Also, the short flops everyone hits and expect to check like Phil's. They never do. Just because you're playing a tour ball doesn't mean you can stop them on a dime. I'd stick with balls that give better distance and tighter dispersion on mis-hits. That's just my opinion though.

We spoke to them about it in January.

My favorite line was this

"You want me to switch to a lesser ball? The pros are playing the best ball, why wouldn't I play the best ball too?"

Despite what marketing wants me to believe, that is like me saying that because Shaq wears a 24 shoe, I should because it fits him. We should all play what works for our game.

*Raises hand for wanting a spinnier ball*

That being said, I don't generally require it for around the greens. Flop shots aside, most balls play similar to me as I'm usually looking for the easiest bump and run shot I can get around the green. Mostly I like the spinnier balls as they actually give me a chance to hold the green with longer irons where as less spinny balls force me to shoot short or play the run off.

Horses for courses and I won't gainsay people's choices.

We spoke to them about it in January.

My favorite line was this

"You want me to switch to a lesser ball? The pros are playing the best ball, why wouldn't I play the best ball too?"

Despite what marketing wants me to believe, that is like me saying that because Shaq wears a 24 shoe, I should because it fits him. We should all play what works for our game.

So so true.

Spin = control and options for me. Sometimes with approaches I want it to spin back a few yards, sometimes one hop 'n stop, sometimes roll forward. I can't do that with all balls. Other examples are short pitch shots with little green to work with. Perhaps I don't want to keep the ball on the ground for various reasons, then I need the spin. This is even more important with the new grooves.

I am always confused by this, why would you want the ball to spin backwards? Can I make the ball suck back, yes, but it usually goes from a tap in to 7-10 foot putt, I always try to play my shots for the ball to stop right where it lands....it is very difficult for me and I would think most amateurs to control their spin like that on a consistent basis...pros practice daily and even they dont always control it correctly. I totally agree that greenside spin is important as so you can be really agressive with shots around the green, but again I read through alot of posts and I keep reading everyone talk about flop shots and opening the face up, my question is how often are you guys playing these shots that require so much accuracy and precision to pull off? I was under the impression that those shots were only played when the situation absolutely called for it, for example: have to go over a bunker and not much green to work with. If you have no obstacle between you and the hole I can not understand for the life of me why someone would hit a flop shot. IMHO

I am always confused by this, why would you want the ball to spin backwards? Can I make the ball suck back, yes, but it usually goes from a tap in to 7-10 foot putt, I always try to play my shots for the ball to stop right where it lands....it is very difficult for me and I would think most amateurs to control their spin like that on a consistent basis...pros practice daily and even they dont always control it correctly. I totally agree that greenside spin is important as so you can be really agressive with shots around the green, but again I read through alot of posts and I keep reading everyone talk about flop shots and opening the face up, my question is how often are you guys playing these shots that require so much accuracy and precision to pull off? I was under the impression that those shots were only played when the situation absolutely called for it, for example: have to go over a bunker and not much green to work with. If you have no obstacle between you and the hole I can not understand for the life of me why someone would hit a flop shot. IMHO

I agree with a lot of points in this post. My strength is my short game and I rarely attempt the "Phil" flop. It never works out well.

i never really understood how a ball could make a difference to your shots on the green. untill i tried the b330 rx i found it hopped and stopped where as my e6 ball just bounced further on the green. im asuming its the backspin that does this?

i never really understood how a ball could make a difference to your shots on the green. untill i tried the b330 rx i found it hopped and stopped where as my e6 ball just bounced further on the green. im asuming its the backspin that does this?

yup.

Some of these posts are starting to move onto full wege shots regarding full on stop and reverse spin. I'm pretty sure the OP was referring to the softer feel around the greens for chipping and some bunker and pitch shots. Yeah the balls gonna spin more, but it aint gonna stop and reverse. At most, a check up bounce be all the adjustment you need to make.

Real life case:

On the par 3 17th hole today, I nuked an 8I over the back onto the cart bath for the 8th hole. After taking relief, I was almost under a spruce tree, with another 15 foot tall one one directly between me and the hole. The hole was cut just 6 feet on the green (they cut most of the holes close to the edges in the winter to minimize traffic across the middle of the green), and sloping away. I was about 50-60 feet over the back of the green with an 8 foot rise and the tree to clear. I took my 56° SW, opened the face, flopped my E6 over the tree, landed the ball on the fringe and let it trickle to within 4 feet right of the hole. No LW, no urethane ball, just good technique and a bit of good fortune.

This whole equipment debate is overhyped. (In my humble opinion) :D

I agree with a lot of points in this post. My strength is my short game and I rarely attempt the "Phil" flop. It never works out well.

Total truth....that's why you see many tips about getting the ball down and rolling ASAP.

One of the best ways to trick myself into practicing my short game is hitting flops and high pitchs from all around the green, but the truth of the matter is I'd never hit one of those unless I absolutely had to if I even have $1 riding on the hole. hahaha. Yeah, I'm cheap :(

You guys make it sound like those that play a high spin ball only hit "flop" shots into the green. I play a bump and run or a short pitch I want to roll out to a given distance all the time with a high spin ball. They are round and still roll afterall. It takes all types of shots around the green. Good technique is all that is needed.
Goes back to what I have always said. I could care less what clubs or balls everyone else plays and I could care less what anyone else thinks about what I play. What works for me more than likely won't work for others.

Back