Groove resharpening - legit?

Glad to see this asked, I also wonder if it is within the rules to regroove irons, especially wedges.

There are TONS of threads on these throughout the forum and an article on the home page as well.

No, they are not recommended by companies.

Not to be a $marta$$....but....I've never seen one of those that worked. Any idea how hard irons and wedges really are? Use one of those and find out. Great for scratching the face of the clubs though. Doubt you could ever dig deep enough with one to change the cross section of the groove.

Not to be a $marta$$....but....I've never seen one of those that worked. Any idea how hard irons and wedges really are? Use one of those and find out. Great for scratching the face of the clubs though. Doubt you could ever dig deep enough with one to change the cross section of the groove.

We found some worked VERY well. Completely fixed worn grooves.

Even had forum testing with a product that also worked VERY well.

I stand corrected.

I agree, had a buddy use one from groovesharpener.com that worked very well on his wedge

You might want to try one first. I found they work rather well, to the point I had metal shavings beyond what I expected. I'll post a link below, but unless you are playing high standing tournaments that require measuring your grooves, why be concerned? Most amature tourneys don't even require you to play pro grooves.

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?9846-X6-Groove-Sharpener-Review

I sent the unit I tested off to another forum member, Hawk, to try. He might shed some light from his testing of the same product.

I believe the one I have is from groovesharpener.com also. The bit looks like the one in the OP but it doesn't have a handle and it is double sided, one for V grooves and one for U grooves. They work very well, just be careful not to scratch the face and not to take a chunk out of your hand. Also, have to worry about depth if you get carried away and are going to be competing.

They may work, but how are you going to measure the grooves you recreate to make sure they are legal?
Not only dept, but width and edge definition.

They may work, but how are you going to measure the grooves you recreate to make sure they are legal?
Not only dept, but width and edge definition.

I don't have to worry about that because I don't play that level, but for those of you who do this may not be a good idea.

You might want to try one first. I found they work rather well, to the point I had metal shavings beyond what I expected. I'll post a link below, but unless you are playing high standing tournaments that require measuring your grooves, why be concerned? Most amature tourneys don't even require you to play pro grooves.

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?9846-X6-Groove-Sharpener-Review

I sent the unit I tested off to another forum member, Hawk, to try. He might shed some light from his testing of the same product.

Been there done that. Like everything else in life, it may work for others but didn't work for me. Could be nothing more than the brand.

Also don't forget, if you keep resharpening your clubs then it gives you less reason to buy shiny new clubs. :smile:

Been there done that. Like everything else in life, it may work for others but didn't work for me. Could be nothing more than the brand.

?? So you will post that they generally don't work and when someone suggests one that does work you blow it off as working for only a few? This product is not expensive, if you have an open mind, enough so to try it, you might be surprised.

?? So you will post that they generally don't work and when someone suggests one that does work you blow it off as working for only a few? This product is not expensive, if you have an open mind, enough so to try it, you might be surprised.

WOW. Very hard to disagree some days. I have tried it, on cast irons/wedges and it did nothing. Not sure what more you want me to say.

I bought the expensive tool from Golfsmith and locked my clubheads in a vice between two 2x4's and it worked very well. I was peeling top flights like they were oranges and ended up rolling wet range balls in sand to dull them a little because I wouldn't dare play a soft ball because it would only last one or two shots. I think I spent about 15-30 minutes per iron.

I have use the one from golfsmith and it works well.

I've got one. The sharpening blade is too small and completely rattles inside the grooves of my CG15. Thus making it worthless. On my Cg11 it worked though.

46adf9ef-d071-7533.jpg

Sorry pic got messed up. I only use it on my old cg11 and impretty sure using it voids all warranties and makes the club nonconforming if they weren't already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snap,
I have used that one on wider grooves with no issues. There are two sharpeners, the square groove and the V groove tips, and if you follow the directions of using it at an angle, I found it worked quite well.

Snap,
I have used that one on wider grooves with no issues. There are two sharpeners, the square groove and the V groove tips, and if you follow the directions of using it at an angle, I found it worked quite well.

I have worrys about it cutting into the grooves in an inconsistent matter. The company says you can do it but I really don't trust what they say to be honest. To hear that it worked for another person is good to hear. Since none of my clubs have V grooves, I use the V groove part to clean out the dirt that gets jammed into the grooves that my club cleaning brush misses.

I have one, I use it at the beginning of the golf season each year. It lasts all season and I play 4x/week. I would suggest to hit a few buckets of range balls after you re-groove. Some of the new grooves will put small cuts in the ball and you don't want to mess up your balls until you get the grooves where you want them.

Back