Putting fool looking for a makeover

Chunkylover77

Proud JakeNation Member
Reaction score
Handicap
OK guys and gals. I'm desperate. Before I go out and start blowing money on a putter that won't change anything except my bank account, I thought it might be prudent to get some free advice. I am horrid on the green. I mean absolutely looks like the first time I'm playing golf horrid. My stroke is not uniform in the slightest. Sometimes I feel like I've got an arc stroke. Other times I feel like I'm SBST. Other times I feel like I'm almost lifting the putter up on the backswing and then jabbing down on the ball coming through. My aim is amazingly terrible. I can miss the hole on a 3 footer very easy.

I think what needs to happen is a complete overhaul. I've got a line into David Orr and I'm considering a 1/2 day lesson but it would be costly. If I could maybe start with a cheaper alternative that would be great. How would you guys/gals go about changing your putting stroke? Thanks for any insights offered.

I just took a lesson today and posted about it in my diary of lessons if you want to read it. I have had short lessons before but this is the first full lesson on just putting I've had. I highly recommend a lesson or two with lots of practice.

OK guys and gals. I'm desperate. Before I go out and start blowing money on a putter that won't change anything except my bank account, I thought it might be prudent to get some free advice. I am horrid on the green. I mean absolutely looks like the first time I'm playing golf horrid. My stroke is not uniform in the slightest. Sometimes I feel like I've got an arc stroke. Other times I feel like I'm SBST. Other times I feel like I'm almost lifting the putter up on the backswing and then jabbing down on the ball coming through. My aim is amazingly terrible. I can miss the hole on a 3 footer very easy.

I think what needs to happen is a complete overhaul. I've got a line into David Orr and I'm considering a 1/2 day lesson but it would be costly. If I could maybe start with a cheaper alternative that would be great. How would you guys/gals go about changing your putting stroke? Thanks for any insights offered.

lessons. If you adopt the Gate style putting, check out Stan Utley's "art of Putting" book. He's got a few books actually. Very good instructor.

For me the key to good putting and good golf for that matter is having a great relationship with my PGA teacher. I have had the same teacher for at least 30 years. I go to him anytime a issue crops up and he knows my game so well he can fix me in a matter of minutes.
I would try to locate a PGA teaching pro in your area.

How much/often do you practice putting and how much/often are you willing to practice putting?

Dave Pelz's Putting Bible is a good book for putting.

I know this is completely out of the realm of reasoning, but why not wait just a little while longer, try out over 150 putters on an actual green, see what may work from a performance, feel, price stand point, and then reevaluate this decision? I kid of course...sort of.

As for changing my putting stroke, I am a feel golfer and feel golfer only. Some people spend years agonizing technique and I am just not sure on teh greens it has to be that way. My opinion only of course. I often see people putting with putters that simply dont match their stroke and when asking why I get this response "Its what they all use" or "it looks perfect to my eye". In reality while these might be the reason some purchase their stick of choice it should really come down to performance just like any other piece of equipment.

I know we spend hours reading about buttery soft feel, plush and buttery impact, etc...I will not spend time knocking any of it, but having spent years trying out every single putter that comes to market (generalizing), I am not sure I believe any of it. Again, not disputing what someone perceives they feel, that is subjective.

In the end, it is about finding a putter that makes putts. It can be simple tweak like weighting all the way to something drastic like a complete overhaul like you are discussing. I have been to many short game clinics and they work on things from grip, to stroke and much much more. In the end, we will ALWAYS revert back to comfort when times are tough in areas such as on the green.

Now all this being said, if I had to rebuild my putter stroke from scratch, there is only one guy I would go see. Pat O'Brien.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. KB I just read your post and I think I might have to take a lesson.

Snap Hook I am seriously considering the Utley book if I don't go with the lessons. Maybe try the book first as a cheaper alternative. I know that Utley is more of an arc putting guy and I think that is my more prevalent stroke.

c_ault Pelz is more of a SBST stroke and while I do find myself doing it sometimes it is not on purpose. When I was a better putter I felt like I had a gated stroke and I think it is my natural stroke so Pelz would be out. By the way I have his Secrets of the Short Game which is an amazing book. I love using his clock method for pitching.

Edit: JB waiting for the outing was my reason for making this thread. My stroke is so bad right now that of course it has to be the putter. So I have been doing nothing but staring at new putters for a week now. But I just don't want to continuously buy putters to try and fix my stroke. I want to fix my stroke. Find out what putter will fit my stroke. Then go and get a putter that is perfect for me. Heck it could even be the putter I have now which would be great.

I agree with a lot of what you said. I used to be a complete feel putter and I was actually quite good. I had not played for 7 years and when I got back to the game my putting did not return. So I think my options right now are keep buying putters until something works. Go take a lesson or two to find out what I'm doing wrong. Or buy a book or video that will teach me a method.

Definetly get lessons. Lessons can teach you in a few hours what would take you years to figure out on your own. If youre trying to improve, lessons are always a better investment than buying new equipment.

c_ault Pelz is more of a SBST stroke and while I do find myself doing it sometimes it is not on purpose. When I was a better putter I felt like I had a gated stroke and I think it is my natural stroke so Pelz would be out. By the way I have his Secrets of the Short Game which is an amazing book. I love using his clock method for pitching.

You're correct that he is more of a SBST, but reading the interview on Putterzone.com makes me think he's relaxed his thoughts on this some. His putting book has a lot of nice stuff in it besides worrying about the stroke itself. If you can find it cheap it's worth looking at.
I think the main thing with putting is practice, practice, practice. The stroke itself is the easy part and doesn't take that much room to practice.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. KB I just read your post and I think I might have to take a lesson.

Snap Hook I am seriously considering the Utley book if I don't go with the lessons. Maybe try the book first as a cheaper alternative. I know that Utley is more of an arc putting guy and I think that is my more prevalent stroke.

Edit: JB waiting for the outing was my reason for making this thread. My stroke is so bad right now that of course it has to be the putter. So I have been doing nothing but staring at new putters for a week now. But I just don't want to continuously buy putters to try and fix my stroke. I want to fix my stroke. Find out what putter will fit my stroke. Then go and get a putter that is perfect for me. Heck it could even be the putter I have now which would be great.

I agree with a lot of what you said. I used to be a complete feel putter and I was actually quite good. I had not played for 7 years and when I got back to the game my putting did not return. So I think my options right now are keep buying putters until something works. Go take a lesson or two to find out what I'm doing wrong. Or buy a book or video that will teach me a method.

You can get his book for round $10 bucks now. (his first putting book) Good quick read. remember I did suggest lessons too always helps to have another set of knowledgable eyes take a look at your stroke.

Link to a short thread about Utley:
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?16639-Adopting-Utley-s-principles-of-putting-more-indoor-putting-fun&p=526279#post526279

Last edited:
CL, I wasn't going to mention this because I wanted to surprise everyone around the greens in May, but I have been working on this http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/2011-01/fun-issue-gary-mccord-putting putting technique since I read about it in early Jan. and it has made a huge difference in my putting. Your arm works in the way it was designed to swinging back and forward, incredibly natural feel to it. The lesson is free on the golf digest site and it doesn't cost you anything to practice it.
I can tell you from personal experience I 2 putted alot more than I 3 and 4 putted last time I played and even 1 putted a couple of holes including a 17 footer.

CL, I wasn't going to mention this because I wanted to surprise everyone around the greens in May, but I have been working on this http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/2011-01/fun-issue-gary-mccord-putting putting technique since I read about it in early Jan. and it has made a huge difference in my putting. Your arm works in the way it was designed to swinging back and forward, incredibly natural feel to it. The lesson is free on the golf digest site and it doesn't cost you anything to practice it.
I can tell you from personal experience I 2 putted alot more than I 3 and 4 putted last time I played and even 1 putted a couple of holes including a 17 footer.

ahh the old Slamming Sam Face on Approach. I'm pretty Sure KJ Choi gave this a test run too last year in a couple of pratice rounds.

I used to struggle a lot as well. This is an oversimplification but I no longer putt with my hands or arms. I putt with my shoulders. It helps in a few ways: 1) less moving parts, 2) it retains the triangle, and 3) my stroke is much smoother. It's an arc stroke and nothing is forced. Since I've been doing it this way I've been holing a lot more putts and my speed is much better.

In addition, I've developed a putting routine I'm very comfortable with. It took a while to find a routine, but I feel a comfortable routine is very important in putting, especially when putting under pressure.

One last thing. I was fit for my putter. It's 36-inches long, has 4º of loft, and the lie angle is 68º.

Good luck CL!

I used to struggle a lot as well. This is an oversimplification but I no longer putt with my hands or arms. I putt with my shoulders. It helps in a few ways: 1) less moving parts, 2) it retains the triangle, and 3) my stroke is much smoother. It's an arc stroke and nothing is forced. Since I've been doing it this way I've been holing a lot more putts and my speed is much better.

In addition, I've developed a putting routine I'm very comfortable with. It took a while to find a routine, but I feel a comfortable routine is very important in putting, especially when putting under pressure.

One last thing. I was fit for my putter. It's 36-inches long, has 4º of loft, and the lie angle is 68º.

Good luck CL!

IMO a solid routine you can trust is very important. Stan Utleys got a quick saying "see it, feel it, trust it" and it helps to have a repeatable routine.

I'm not going to say that this will work for you, but I truly found that the EZ Roller I reviewed helped me learn the feel of a smooth putting stroke. Take it for what you will, but it really helped me learn what a good roll feels like and I am able to re-create it.

Another thing that helped is learning not to break my wrists. Again, this might not be your issue and may not help, but it did for me. I took a golf ball and put it in between my right wrist and the grip of the putter. Basically takes your wrist out of the equation.

I'm not going to say that this will work for you, but I truly found that the EZ Roller I reviewed helped me learn the feel of a smooth putting stroke. Take it for what you will, but it really helped me learn what a good roll feels like and I am able to re-create it.

Links:
http://thehackersparadise.com/home/?p=11521

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?15336-Izzo-Golf-EZ-Roller&highlight=roller

I got you hawk.

BTW there's a pro instructor I saw on GC one night. He had a similar training putter using a metal ball and a powerful electrical magnet with a switch on the grip. This looks WAAAAAAY more simpler for the same results.

Thanks for the assist, SH ;)

A couple of years ago I putted lights out all the time. Then I read a bunch of stuff and changed my setup etc. My putting when to heck. A friend and a single digit hcp reminded me of how well I use to putt. So at the end of last year I changed back to my old and strange putting style and I have greatly improved.

Most teachers say to square up your shoulders and feet and put the ball in the middle of the stance. I did that and putted poorly. My old and now current way of putting is to open my stance (very open) with the ball forward off my front heal. I have a nice smooth stroke keeping the putter low on the ground. My stroke is almost pushing the ball forward instead of swinging the putter and of course I don't break my wrist. With the open stance I can look down the line and at least get the ball going in the correct direction.

Everyone has their own way of putting. You will find ours. :act-up:

Hey CL I would try out all the selection at the outing. I am looking for KB to carry our team with her putting. Go KellyBo!

Buy a >$300 and you'll be making putts like crazy!

I would suggest lessons.

i have no idea how one would narrow down choices - but if its any help you can "borrow" my dave pelz putting bible on pdf if you like.

I think my biggest breakthrough in putting was playing with some lower handicap golfers. They noticed my stroke was pretty solid but i missed a lot short. They said dont worry about missing it long - if you miss it a foot long atleats the putt had a CHANCE at making it in the hole. Miss it short and the putt NEVER has a chance of going in.

The 2nd best advice - read more break than you think. Better to read more break than not enough. If you miss it not reading enough break - then the putt never had a chance either.

So i read the green like i always do - and i then would add a little more break depending on the severity of the putt. I dropped a lot of strokes off in the end.

Phil Mickelson's short game DVD had good tips for putting practice too. Learning to lag, practicing it; as well as making those 3 footers automatic, and making more 6 foot putts.

I think after awhile though too much instruction and your head just becomes full of swing thoughts prior to the putt and that cant be good either. I think its mental as hell - just try and code yourself into thinking I AM going to make this putt - and youll sink more.

Another thing that helped is learning not to break my wrists. Again, this might not be your issue and may not help, but it did for me. I took a golf ball and put it in between my right wrist and the grip of the putter. Basically takes your wrist out of the equation.

I tried this yesterday Hawk and I couldn't do it.

Funny you mention this. I was just
Downstairs yelling at myself for breaking my wrists and that's how I corrected it. What did you have problems with?

I tried this yesterday Hawk and I couldn't do it.

Tapatalk keeps me sane.

It was just strange for me to grip the putter. I grip with my left hand first and then put my right hand on last. Don't know how to put the ball in there properly. Maybe I'm a little slow. Is it supposed to feel pretty normal?

Back