Should I join Facebook?

Esox

Reaction score
Handicap
I don't have a smart phone, I don't Twit, and I rarely send emails. I have a wife and daughter that see to most of my IT needs. I do like to forum it up on the Internet machine.

That being said, I'm kind of fascinated by The Facebook. I'm thinking I might like to make a comment about The Morgan Cup, or maybe make a friend. I'm not too keen on the idea of finding people I knew in high school or college, or have them find me, though I'm not far from my starting point, and am not exactly hiding out.

It seems The Facebook sort of puts a guy out there in a Mike Honcho kind of way. I'm also a little concerned that The Facebooking could lead to other Internet related habits like Twitting, texting, Skypeing, YouTubeing, or God forbid, online gaming. So far Foruming has been pretty satisfying, but I might like to try a little more.

Was anybody skeptical, especially if you're middle aged, but then after joining found The Facebook to be kind of fun and worthwhile? Help an old fellow out.

Kevin

I hate Facebook, if you don't have to don't.

Yeah, jump on there, find Lucas Calloway, and your lefty love can further blossom!

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

Don't do it. If I could go back in time that's one site I never would have visited. You are opening yourself up to all kinds of awkward situations. A client that you sort of hate finds your page and wants to be friends. Now you are faced with either rejecting him or letting him in on your personal thoughts, pictures, etc. It's full of garbage and attention ho's.

Yeah, jump on there, find Lucas Calloway, and your lefty love can further blossom!

He even has a birth certificate and social security number. :)

Go for it. If you dont like it then you can delete it

I say no- just because I'm that trendy....

I hate Facebook, if you don't have to don't.

Provide your reasons. I need more info than simple Canadian bitterness. LOL.

Well, I had my daughter open up the Callaway The Facebook page so I could see your comments. That's what got me thinking. I was going to have her post something there, but I don't want my 13 year old's name on the Callaway page.

Kevin

I'm on Facebook, but I use it mostly for school work. I use it as a chat room, and a way to keep up with old friends as well. As long as you don't do anything dumb, it can't hurt you.

I have one, but I don't use it a lot. I am not afraid to reject a request. If I hate somebody, they know it. And there are people that I hate.

I love Facebook because I can stay in touch with my big family, store and share pics, talk with friends, and just stay in touch with people I would otherwise never hear from. I've also won a couple contests for golf stuff. I do recommend staying away from the games and I would make sure your privacy settings are private so you can only allow people you want to look at your information. I even have Ole Gray using it fairly regularly now.

Don't do it. If I could go back in time that's one site I never would have visited. You are opening yourself up to all kinds of awkward situations. A client that you sort of hate finds your page and wants to be friends. Now you are faced with either rejecting him or letting him in on your personal thoughts, pictures, etc. It's full of garbage and attention ho's.

Hmmm. Something to think about. I have clients. My B-I-L who is in the same business as me, likes his for business reasons. I'm not so sure. My profession sometimes has me disappointing people.

Kevin

Hmmm. Something to think about. I have clients. My B-I-L who is in the same business as me, likes his for business reasons. I'm not so sure. My professions sometimes has me disappointing people.

Kevin

I think you can set the privacy setting so that no one can find you on Facebook through the search function. It's also easy to deactivate your account if you decide you don't like it.

I can take it or leave it. I get a bit embarrased by it when one of my buddies does something really stupid and posts it, then everyone else I know thinks I'm like him, lol.

Yeah, you don't have to accept anyone's requests to be "friends". I do it all the time. They have good privacy settings as well.

I can take it or leave it. I get a bit embarrased by it when one of my buddies does something really stupid and posts it, then everyone else I know thinks I'm like him, lol.

You and I are close to the same vintage, Duey. Do you do much with/on your account?

Kevin

I stayed away from Facebook for a long time, but signed up recently. I like to check in and see how old friends from college and high school are doing. My brother and SIL also post pics of them and thier kids. I do not use it for business.

If you want to find old friends, or share what you do now with lots of other people, then go for it!

I'm on it. But, I don't post on it. It keeps me up-to-date on my out of town family members. I do "friend" the people from high school and my single days, but no exe's. Regarding business people, I have some that pop up and I never reply. Or, I'll friend them and then "ignore" them. If they ask me why, I tell them that I only use FB for Family. That can help about not friending the business client.

I also don't post any photos of my family. If someone puts one up of my daughter, I tell them to take it off.

You're not missing anything except maybe entering contests from companies that make you "like" them to get an entry in the contest that you're probably not going to win anyway.

On the plus side, I do like the birthday reminders that it automatically sends me every week. I have a bad habit of sending cards late.

don't do it. It's addictive and me being a teen I guess I'm on 24/7. Only person I think on more than me is GG on the THP Profile.

Im on there, I post about 1 status update a month, I might like a few things here and there but im not usually on there. if I need to talk to someone I will tx or call them. Its good to keep you updated on family and friends though.

I enjoy it. It keeps me in touch with guys I work with from other states. I also keep current with work coming up.

Just do it, there is no need to become friends with people that you know from highschool, college, even work (ugh never). It's really useful for keeping up on news from bands, golf, your fav teams, ect,ect.

I use Facebook sometimes.I had my 40th high school reunion last Oct. and we found quite a few old classmates by Facebook .I also use it to keep up with relatives that are in other states.Just be careful of your security settings and your posts.Don't talk about what a d**k your boss is and have your settings where anyone can see them.A lot of people have gotten fired or not hired in the first place over some of their posts requarding their wild parties ,drug usage etc.

Did they make you an offer?

Not yet, but I'm afraid Zuckerburger won't be able to find me to make an offer unless I join Facebook. It's a Catch 22.

Kevin

Back