Journey to Break 85

Oh man Yoccos, I am so sorry. I skimmed and didn't read that bad news. Losing a fantastic dog really is like losing a member of the family and she sounded like an absolutely amazing dog.

Lol, I just told them I bumped my knee.

damn man, that was sad! I keep telling my co workers that its windy in my office. sorry for your loss buddy.

Thanks man. I'm sorry to hear you had the same experience. It was real quick but I think probably better for them ya know? Not as much pain. I have so many good memories lol. She was a trip.

Sorry to hear about Maggie, I feel your pain. I lost my last dog about a year and a half ago to lymphoma when she was only 8 years old. It was a rough 1-2 week downward spiral. Just keep remembering the joy that she was.

KB I saw that and was gonna comment. That boxer was beautiful and i'm so glad there are fantastic people like you for dogs that need help. He is gonna make someone so happy. I've always believe life follows death and this is a perfect example of a beautiful dog getting a second chance.

So sorry Yoccos. It's ironic that I saved a lost and starving boxer yesterday. He was the absolute sweetest dog. I was so lucky to find a great home for him through our local vet since my 4 cats did not want me to bring him home. After spending a day with a beautiful boxer yesterday and having put my 13 year old dog down last summer, I have the biggest lump in my throat and tears are streaming down my face. I can honestly feel your heartache as I still can easily cry when I think of my sweet old dog that I miss so much.

Thank you Seth. It very much is. She was awesome. She rightly earned one of her 100 nicknames Maggibeast haha. No worries dude! Def no skim on your part.

Oh man Yoccos, I am so sorry. I skimmed and didn't read that bad news. Losing a fantastic dog really is like losing a member of the family and she sounded like an absolutely amazing dog.

I really want to say thanks again. Talking to everyone has really been such a great help. I should've probably worded a little bit more to celebrate how she was. Definitely didnt want to bum people out! She is back to terrorizing I'm sure haha.

Seth! That's usually what happens to me as well. I know you'll get those kinks worked out. You certainly put in the effort! Isn't it funny how the perfect drive and such usually does us in? Lol. I think sometimes a wedge from the tall grass is less pressure than from the fairway.

I missed this milestone by 2 shots last Saturday. I took a 6 on a par 4 when my tee shot was in the fairway less than 100 yards from the pin. On the last hole, a par 5, I hit my second shot to about 15 yards of the pin and had a little chipper and 1 putt for birdie, instead, I screwed up the chip and ended up getting par. I made several mistakes and I should have shot an 80, but I ended up getting an 86 on the round.

Yoccos - so sorry to hear about your loss. Going through that kind of stuff is really hard to deal with.

Glad you could put that all down in words dude. Sorry to hear you've between going through a tough time. Hopefully, happier days are ahead :)

Tapatalk: Not just for the bathroom.

It is. The thing is though, have such a great group of friends and family truly blessed. The biggest thing is , Maggie is chillin now.. :)
Yoccos - so sorry to hear about your loss. Going through that kind of stuff is really hard to deal with.

Thanks Hawk. I crack up everytime you post from tapatalk. Lol.

Glad you could put that all down in words dude. Sorry to hear you've between going through a tough time. Hopefully, happier days are ahead :)

Tapatalk: Not just for the bathroom.

Latest update :) I smile because it means that I actually was able to get out and hit some balls and had some positive results.

I was talking to Jrod yesterday and made the remark that I'm the anti-range hero. I typically suck on the range, but have a way of finding my swing when it counts. Started out yesterday fighting a big draw or a hook with just about everything but the higher lofted clubs. I hit about 150 balls before heading to the simulator to play 18 pretend holes. We played Troon North and I played from the whites. I was sort of skeptical about the simulator since I've never been on one, but it seemed to be pretty true. My normal driver SS is 95 and I was right around there the entire time. I had a low of 89mph when I was getting tired and a high of 99mph at my best. I immediately noticed that I was hitting the ball much cleaner once we started, which is pretty much what happens when I start a round. I quit thinking about my swing and start thinking about hitting the ball towards a target. The biggest positive from the sim is that my swing was inside out almost the entire time! I ended up going OTT a few times after I started getting tired, but it was the exception rather than the norm. That is freaking huge for me. I've fought an OTT move since I started and it's going away. Woooot.

Afterwards, we headed back to the range and my ball striking was still good. I was hitting good balls with a few duds mixed in. Hit some drivers and still wish I hit the ball higher, but they were mostly straight. We also hit the chipping area and I realized that I need to get used to grass again. Chipping out of the rough takes a bit more juice than the basement carpet or mats lol.

In all, very positive start to the season and I'm looking forward to getting out on the course in the next couple weeks.

Great update Hawk! I'm really excited to see how your work has turned out for you this season. I know it's still probably early but that range/sim session has to be a good feeling. Hoping for the best Hawk yet buddy!

I haven't really been updating the thread as much as I'd like. It's not that I'm not working on my game just some things have come up.

I've really been working on my putting. The looking at the hole thing is really working for me. As long as my line is there I'm seeing myself close to the whole.

I'm also going back to a shorter swing. Not much. Just controlled. I thought I was coming in too shallow on my swing but looking at the video I was overdoing what the instructor was trying to teach me. Got that back on track. Still flipping my hands but I'm getting better use of my back muscles.
As that happens the casting happens less as well.

I also want to say thank you to everyone and their support the past few days. I have a great amount of friends and THP has been a big part of why. I don't wanna bum anyone out or anything, just wanted to share this next part because writing has always helped me.

I learned Friday my boxer Maggie had Lymphoma, she has been sick for weeks and we just didnt know what was up. Usually Maggie (even at 9) was still your typical boxer. Running, playing ball and jump kicking you in spots you shouldnt be hit. But for a few months that hasnt been her. After hearing the news Friday, I've been trying to get in as much time with her as possible. Not that I didnt before (and I felt so guilty for not.. but it's life) but I just made sure to be there as much as I could. When I moved in with Andrea taking Maggie wasn't a possibility. I had moved back home after some stuff and stayed there lol until I decided to move in with Andrea. Maggie was there for the best/worst moments I ever had. The best friend I've ever had. We worked as a team, I covered her (when she decided to raid counters/garbage) and she always had my back. Doc said the cancer can hit real quick when it does eventually end up attacking her nervous system and such, which in all honesty is better for Maggie. She wouldn't be in pain long and we knew our time with her was limited. I knew on Sat when I went over to see her and she couldn't eat her cookie, it wasn't gonna be long. First thing I did was give her a cookie when I walked through the door... everytime. The look wouldn't stop until all was right and her cookie was hidden in her dog casa haha. We spent most of the morning watching golf and just hanging out on the couch. Sunday was a good day as well for the most part. My family does it big on Sundays usually but I made sure to spend my time with her. Monday was good too. She wouldn't come up on the couch which was unusual. She isn't allowed on the couch but I always had certain Maggie rules I lived by. Well I was out at dinner with Andrea and my mom called, said Maggie had a real bad night and it was time. I finished dinner with Andrea and took what seemed like the longest drive over to the house. Maggie came running to the door and greated me with her horseshu thing she does. But started to walk back to the couch and could barely make it. She was fallin so my dad helped her to her pillow. I laid with her while we got the details sorted out. The trip to the Vet was the longest. We just laid in the back of the pilot and watched the road. She tried so hard and gave us all the energy she had. She was at peace and she gave each of us a sign in her way that she knew it as well.

I still walk around with a heavy heart but it was better for her. She is happy, pain free and running around again just like she wants. Thanks all for letting me share this with you.

Wow man I'm so sorry to hear about Maggie. I had something similar happen to me with my dog five years ago. I still get teary when I think about him. Bear was 14 when we had to put him to sleep.

Man sorry to hear that. What kind of dog was Bear?

It really is tough but so much fun to take a trip or hundred down memory lane which helps along with great friends/family and other dogs :)

Wow man I'm so sorry to hear about Maggie. I had something similar happen to me with my dog five years ago. I still get teary when I think about him. Bear was 14 when we had to put him to sleep.

I went and signed up for PDM (Player development membership) at Superstition Springs today. One of my favorite courses and I absolutely think they have some of the best golf staff around. Anyway, I get unlimited range balls, %off the proshop merchandise and some really good rates to golf after 3pm. I'm stoked. I took my first trip to the range and was remined of why it is so much better to hit on solid ground. Had a decent session and once I started to set up properly with my driver I was cracking balls. I also tried to shorten my swing, use my shoulder turn along with keeping my left arm fairly straight. Lots of thoughts but I worked on them in steps. I think Im really just going to focus on one club during each session. Or maybe max 2. I don't know. It seems to take a ball or two to get adjusted when I switch. So happy with my ball flight and ball striking though. Definitely more good shots than bad.

I still have more success looking at the hole and putting. I don't know if its the most technical but I'm definitely putting putts closer.

I went and signed up for PDM (Player development membership) at Superstition Springs today. One of my favorite courses and I absolutely think they have some of the best golf staff around. Anyway, I get unlimited range balls, %off the proshop merchandise and some really good rates to golf after 3pm. I'm stoked. I took my first trip to the range and was remined of why it is so much better to hit on solid ground. Had a decent session and once I started to set up properly with my driver I was cracking balls. I also tried to shorten my swing, use my shoulder turn along with keeping my left arm fairly straight. Lots of thoughts but I worked on them in steps. I think Im really just going to focus on one club during each session. Or maybe max 2. I don't know. It seems to take a ball or two to get adjusted when I switch. So happy with my ball flight and ball striking though. Definitely more good shots than bad.

I still have more success looking at the hole and putting. I don't know if its the most technical but I'm definitely putting putts closer.

Congrats on the membership, do you get good rates for guests? Should I start saving my $$$s?

You know it dude! Ida know I think I do lol. If not you know Ill find something! It's like $45 a month for all that I get. As much as I go to the range and play itll pay itself off easily. I need to get ready for a trip to California and all those crazy hills and such haha.

Congrats on the membership, do you get good rates for guests? Should I start saving my $$$s?

You know it dude! Ida know I think I do lol. If not you know Ill find something! It's like $45 a month for all that I get. As much as I go to the range and play itll pay itself off easily. I need to get ready for a trip to California and all those crazy hills and such haha.

you name the day, I'll get the tee times. If you want hills, I'll get ya hills!! :)

I like that you get memberships for practice facilities. It makes me a jealous Hawk.

As for the bolded, I've tried to take an exact opposite approach lol. I've been switching clubs a bunch and trying to change the types of shots I'm taking. I'm hoping that it helps me make adjustments on the fly when I get out on the course.

Lol I have too man. Or I just don't go as much. It's so motivating to see nice straight shots outdoors. Killing my driver and Mashie yesterday after some adjustments. Btw, I'm going to try one of the items in the care package you sent. Hopefully will help with my stance and set up. Annd Ill post some pictures in this thread as well. If I didn't get one of my memory cards stuck in the new PC I'd put it up already haha.

You make a lot of sense with the second part. If I can't learn to adjust on the fly, how can I do it on the course? Maybe just take half the bucket focusing on one club, then go the variety shot for the last half. I'm gonna do that.

I like that you get memberships for practice facilities. It makes me a jealous Hawk.

As for the bolded, I've tried to take an exact opposite approach lol. I've been switching clubs a bunch and trying to change the types of shots I'm taking. I'm hoping that it helps me make adjustments on the fly when I get out on the course.

I actually got the idea from something that I read. Basically, it said that when you spend the entire time trying to perfect a club that you are really just adjusting to get results and when you go out on the course you don't have that luxury.

It makes a ton of sense too. I've been thinking about this a lot today actually. Unless I plan on hitting a 6i all day, I definitely need to be able to adjust.

I actually got the idea from something that I read. Basically, it said that when you spend the entire time trying to perfect a club that you are really just adjusting to get results and when you go out on the course you don't have that luxury.

So I'm putting in extra practice to put my name in the hat for Morgan Cup and not make a fool of myself lol. Let me just say, tonight... IT GOT REAL. I practiced with my M3, M1, 50* and you wont believe it till you see it. I did hit off matts so my excitement is tempered for the moment. But basically I was putting a beating on the ball with my secret iron that i haven't in a while. I'm even wondering if I should be hitting stiff flex shafts. Once I can hit on the ground I'm sure Ill be back to reality lol. Anyway, I'm happy and thats all that matters I guess. THe M1 is still a work in progress but once I get it down, I'm thinking the 3w is gone. The M3 is still my go to club. I should post some pictures...

Spoiler
wait for it...
Spoiler
trust me its worth it
Spoiler
POW!
1b80f798.jpg

here is the damage! Notice the circle
05be7ba7.jpg

So I'm putting in extra practice to put my name in the hat for Morgan Cup and not make a fool of myself lol. Let me just say, tonight... IT GOT REAL. I practiced with my M3, M1, 50* and you wont believe it till you see it. I did hit off matts so my excitement is tempered for the moment. But basically I was putting a beating on the ball with my secret iron that i haven't in a while. I'm even wondering if I should be hitting stiff flex shafts. Once I can hit on the ground I'm sure Ill be back to reality lol. Anyway, I'm happy and thats all that matters I guess. THe M1 is still a work in progress but once I get it down, I'm thinking the 3w is gone. The M3 is still my go to club. I should post some pictures...

Spoiler
wait for it...
Spoiler
trust me its worth it
Spoiler
POW!
1b80f798.jpg

here is the damage! Notice the circle
05be7ba7.jpg

Elaborate my friend.

I played golf today and broke 85.

I played golf today and broke 85.