Official NBA Thread

Yeah it seems to me the Celtics just traded away an important part of their championship contending team.

Yeah it seems to me the Celtics just traded away an important part of their championship contending team.

Agreed - I like Green - but I LOVED Perk. He gave a crap every night - not all players in THE LEAGUE do......

I just find it funny that there was a lot of talk that if Perk hadn't been hurt for game seven the Celtics would've won, and then they trade him away.

Agreed - I like Green - but I LOVED Perk. He gave a crap every night - not all players in THE LEAGUE do......

THis has to be Shaq's last season, so all they have at center now is baby davis and no one to back up rondo.

I just find it funny that there was a lot of talk that if Perk hadn't been hurt for game seven the Celtics would've won, and then they trade him away.

Yup - blindsided entirely. And all that talk about last year in the finals "needing him" well, that excuse is out the door now...

I just wonder how much the fall of the Magic played into this decision. Feeling they didn't need as strong of a low post presence.

Heat acquire Mike Bibby. Too bad they still don't have a low post presence.

I think he's going to make no difference for that team. When Bibby was traded to atlanta he was supposed to just be a veteran presence and shooter while joe-john, joe smith and horford ran the team; bibby was washed up and bust in atlanta, why would he be any different in miami? miller-jones, maybe even chalmers are better shooters than bibby is at this point and bring more to the table. Bibby will take eddie house's spot, not sure if he's an upgrade or it's a wash

I think he's going to make no difference for that team. When Bibby was traded to atlanta he was supposed to just be a veteran presence and shooter while joe-john, joe smith and horford ran the team; bibby was washed up and bust in atlanta, why would he be any different in miami? miller-jones, maybe even chalmers are better shooters than bibby is at this point and bring more to the table. Bibby will take eddie house's spot, not sure if he's an upgrade or it's a wash

Honestly, I just think that they are grasping at straws to try to get this team to the finals this year. Just don't think it's going to happen.

that Knick game yesterday was a real eye opener to me for both teams. The Knicks defense is turrible (to quote sir charles), but on any given night the knicks have, at worst, two of the best four players on the floor. that's is something to be wreckened with.

The old bulls teams had that, Jordan-pippen and the 10 scrubs. Melo and Amare are not Jordan-Pippen, not even close, especially on defense and between the ears (that goes particularly for the melo-jordan analogy), but Amare is a post presence jordan never had in pippen and melo is the best pure scorer in the leauge. I still don't believe they can get it done in the postseason where every single defensive posession matters, but i'm not as confident as I was last week. Melo-Amare made very dangerous bedfellows.

The heat, well they're still an athletic perimeter team the likes we've never seen, i also agree that their lack of inside game and inconsistant shooting is going to kill them in may and june, but it's still lebron with dwayne wade and chris bosh, they're not going to go away quietly.

i think secretly the Celtics killed themselves trading perk and going small (same with orlando and gortat). Their biggest advantage was that nobody could go big the way they could. KG-Shaq-Perk-Baby could all share minutes (key for old man o'neal and one knee garnett) and were a force that New York and Miami had no answer whatsoever for, especially in the playoffs (where as we've mentioned, every posession matters and protecting the rim is more important. two things that Perk in Boston and Gortat in Orlando specialized in).

Now Boston no longer has that advantage, when they play rondo-allen-pierce-green-garnett (which they'll have to do at some point in a 7 game series because kg and shaq can't play 40 a game every night anymore) that's exactly teams like Chicago, Miami, New York want. They can match up and run against that lineup. Rondo-Allen-Pierce-KG-Perk is a lineup that will eat up Amare, has fouls to give when Miami comes barrelling down the lane (that's another big issue, Perk was 6 more fouls that they could pick up when lebron-wade-melo come charging into the lane to get to the line, which is a great percentage of each guy's offense. what happens when kg/green get in foul trouble and boston has to trot out both o'neal's for an extended stretch? Lebron is already licking his chops). I think Boston opened up the Eastern conference race with that trade. It was their's to lose, now i think it's anybody's game. Whoever is hot and healthy in May will make the finals now is my feeling.

How badarse is the east now? Miami, New York, Chicago, Atlanta, Orlando and Boston. 2 of these teams won't even make it out of the first round because of matchups, and only 2 (obviously) can make the conference finals. Imagine the possibility of second round matchups of Miami-New York and Chicago-Boston, or Miami-Chicago and New York-Boston. That's assuming Orlando loses. My God how crazy is this going to be!

I think the Pistons need to go on Jerry Springer to work out some of their "issues".

Wow! Heat blow another big lead tonight and lose to the Magic!

People keep saying they need time to gel but we're already past the all star weekend for gods sake. IMO they will not be ready for crunch time during the playoffs.

@cj You're right about he celtics. What happens if by make it to he finals against LA? Small can work in the east I guess Hibbing out west. And big was an advantage they had against othe eastern teams. Now they're just like all the rest

Tap to talk. Now I can get my fix on the go!

heat really blew one last night, 24 point lead in the second half

Funny, they were down 24 after the first qtr. tonight and they will probably come back and win! Streaky,streaky,streaky......

Shaping up to be a great playoff this year. Lots of teams stacking up, but gelling as a team takes time.

Wow what happen to the Heatles (I think lebron used that reference)? After blowing a 24 point lead to a Magic team that loss to the Bulls in convincing fashion and then not even being on the same floor as the Spurs is flat out embarrassing. I think the Cavs (without Lebron) could have done better than that. I still feel they grossly overpaid Bosh and I am not sure Bibby is the answer to be quite honest. I still feel they have a lot of talent (obviously) but I still think D wade and LBJ play essentially the same position. They both need the ball to create and are primarily perimeter players that can finish in the lane. And the East is nothing to sneeze at either. The playoffs are looking to be really exciting this season. Talent level in the Association is some of the best we have seen in a number of years. I really do not think there are any clear cut favorites to win it all this season. I feel it could realistically be 1 of 7 team with 2 other team that can challenge those team in early matchups. West - Spurs, lakers and Mavs (OKC can push those teams). East - Celtics, Heat, magic, bulls (knicks can push those teams). Should be fun. As a basketball fan you have to enjoy this time of year.

Seriously Heat players crying in the locker room? Wow how embarrassing.

Yea that is ridiculous and dont get me wrong I am not saying they should not care but crying over a regular season game is embarrassing. Then another loss tonight against the Blazers. I am not sure about the Heatles.

Lebron needs to go 19-0 the rest of the way to equal what the 09/10 Cavaliers record was last year. Who was the Cavs second best player last season? Mo Williams? No one close to Wade or Bosh for that matter. It may be premature to say this experiment is looking like a failure, but I believe the Heat bench mustered 9 total points against Portland. This is what happens when you dump an entire payroll into 3 guys, two of which are mirror images of one another, and the other is as overrated as they come. Then beg anyone to come fill in spots 4-12 for the minimum.

Lebron needs to go 19-0 the rest of the way to equal what the 09/10 Cavaliers record was last year. Who was the Cavs second best player last season? Mo Williams? No one close to Wade or Bosh for that matter. It may be premature to say this experiment is looking like a failure, but I believe the Heat bench mustered 9 total points against Portland. This is what happens when you dump an entire payroll into 3 guys, two of which are mirror images of one another, and the other is as overrated as they come. Then beg anyone to come fill in spots 4-12 for the minimum.

Thank you, lebron and Dwade play the same effective position and Bosh is a waste for the money they paid him. Look at how the celtics set their roster up when they brought in the big 3 and Rondo emerged. KG is a legitimate 4 and plays in the paint, grabs boards etc. Ray runs off of screens and stops and pops jumpers with a quick release, doesnt have to have the ball to be effective. Pierce likes having the ball in his hands but can also come off of screens. Rondo is a straight facilitator and is not looking to score. You could not get 3-4 pieces that fit better than that. The Heat did not accomplish this with their roster. Its like Dwade and Lebron would be great in a pick up basketball game but the jury is still out on this regular season NBA thing...

Thank you, lebron and Dwade play the same effective position and Bosh is a waste for the money they paid him. Look at how the celtics set their roster up when they brought in the big 3 and Rondo emerged. KG is a legitimate 4 and plays in the paint, grabs boards etc. Ray runs off of screens and stops and pops jumpers with a quick release, doesnt have to have the ball to be effective. Pierce likes having the ball in his hands but can also come off of screens. Rondo is a straight facilitator and is not looking to score. You could not get 3-4 pieces that fit better than that. The Heat did not accomplish this with their roster. Its like Dwade and Lebron would be great in a pick up basketball game but the jury is still out on this regular season NBA thing...

There are few teams who could keep up with Miami (Boston can't) in a transition game, but get them in a half court set and force them into jump shots and they are screwed. Their lack of size and depth is a weakness that is glaring in that scenario.

Back