Are backyard nets good or evil?

Helo

Reaction score
Handicap
Yes
So I'm thinking of getting a hitting net so I don't have to go to the driving range so much, but have heard some scary things. Some say it's real easy to groove a bad swing when you can't see the ball flight. I still intend on playing regularly so I should notice any weird changes. Still it's got me wondering. I know the benefits would be that I could practice my set up and making solid contact. Just wondering if these nets have helped, hurt, or not affected your guy's game.

I thought of getting one Helo, but had the same concern...not being able to see the ball flight.

If you are worried about that maybe get some birdieballs?

I have one I was hitting into this winter and didn't really like it. I can see how it's possible to obtain bad swing tendencies. If you aren't 100% confident with your current swing(s) and can feel good shots, I wouldn't recommend it. If you are able to spend a few days on the range each week and still hit some at home in the net, it may not be that bad. I would recommend working on short game at home and leaving the full swing game at the range. I would just hit some chips in the yard and putt inside. Just my 2 cents...good luck.

I was really conflicted on this topic myself and ended up coming to conclusion that it just was not going to do me much good. I also practice short game at home and I do have a CCE mat that is large enough for me to cart around the outside of the house so that I can practice side hill and uphill/downhill shots with practice balls. However you really have to be careful with practice balls as well. As long as you are hitting the real thing at the range you can hit practice balls safely.

I got one and I mess myself up when I practice a full swing. But it's great for practicing soft pitch shots.

I love hitting into nets.Allows me to completely focus On what I want out of my swing.

Hmmm. I do have some contact issues so I wonder if it might be worth it for working on that. It's just nice to have something to do during those wet winter months. Still undecided but thanks for the feedback.

So I'm thinking of getting a hitting net so I don't have to go to the driving range so much, but have heard some scary things. Some say it's real easy to groove a bad swing when you can't see the ball flight. I still intend on playing regularly so I should notice any weird changes. Still it's got me wondering. I know the benefits would be that I could practice my set up and making solid contact. Just wondering if these nets have helped, hurt, or not affected your guy's game.

I'm not a fan at all of nets for the reason you pointed out. My PGA Teaching Pro thinks it is the worse golf invention in the last 50 years.

It sucks...unless you have a camera hooked up and can see what you're doing.

I think it is a great idea for someone to really focus on ball striking.

it's evil if you neighbours can hear you cracking driver all day...

it's evil if you neighbours can hear you cracking driver all day...

JNR is on the money with this one! Of course it depends on how close your neighbors are.

What DD said. Practice chipping,pitching and putting at home. Leave the long range for the range.

I have been hitting in to a net for the past 3 months in my garage. Its cold in NJ. Last year i got the net and used it outside. I personally noticed that when I practiced with it my next round was better. I really have just been focusing on grip pressure, and swing tempo. I am hoping all of this practice will pay off. I have been hitting practically every day. I will do a few longer iron shots but I try to really focus on the shorter irons.

Evil. In college I practiced all winter into one, went to Florida and snapped it 20 yards for a month. Never again.

I use my net only to keep the swing loose. I don't try to hit it too hard, just consistent and in the sweet spot. Not trying to kill anything, just make good contact.

Reviving an old thread:

I've got a net in my yard that is my only practice option most of the time but I hesitate to use it for fear of developing more bad habits or making any current ones worse.

What are the good ways to use these as a beneficial practice tool? Would taking swing video and looking for certain things be one?

Last edited:
It sucks...unless you have a camera hooked up and can see what you're doing.

I agree with this. I used a net for a bit and realized there wasn't very good feedback, so I switched to whiffle balls. Not perfect feedback either but quite a bit better than the net.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like hitting into a net, I'm usually just looking for ball first contact in the middle of the face. I'll usually work on tempo with an orange whip then hit the net and look for solid strikes. It's not perfect, but I think it has helped me in the long run

Hitting into a net all winter one year set me so far back. Never again!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I would like to put a net in my garage to practice chipping. I just have no idea which one I would prefer.

I've wondered how helpful a berry would be also. I thought about putting one up in my garage this winter just to get some practice swings in, I can't imagine it will hurt much over winter.

Evil. I made the mistake to put one in my basement once and hit into it all winter. It took a couple weeks in the spring to undue the damage.

I hit wiffles in the back yard fairly often. I think they predict ball flight for irons better than many think -- but aren't so good for driver.

Dave

Back