World Golf Rankings

Thanks Gus, that makes a little more sense to me now. Still though, if you are racking up points by consistently in tournament after tournament by placing in the top ten, why does winning a major seem to big such a big deal to so many who follow golf? is it better to win one major, or place consistantly in the top ten in events you enter? Major or not, it's still only one tournament.

I think the argument here is that it means a lot to have won on a tough course (as all major courses are) against the best fields of the year. The idea behind a ranking system (I don't really buy into this though) is that you have the best player in the world. If you really are the best player in the world you SHOULD be able to win on the hardest courses against the stiffest competition. Having 24 top 10s is really impressive, but if you aren't winning you can't be called the best. The most consistent? Sure! The best contender? Why not! But to be #1 you have to win eventually, and I would prefer you do it on a big stage and not a small one.

Majors are designed to be more important than a regular tournament . They're supposed to be the toughest/deepest fields at the toughest courses when those courses are at their most challenging. They're intended to be the super bowl's of golf.

Thanks Rx. I think when you look at the actions of some of the top american pro's over their young careers, it's easy to see a general lack of responsibility in terms of becoming a champion. You look at what they do, then you look at how Kaymer acts and it's hard not to draw some comparison. You get the feeling with Kaymer that he was an ultra talented kid who guys like Langer and Faldo saw the talent, took him aside and said "you got the talent to be a champion, but you gotta do x, y and z to go from talent to realization and we're going to show you how to get there." The golf media likes to proclaim how humble and intelligent and responsible Kaymer is on and off the course especially at his age, I can't help but think that's a direct result of his work with the old pro's. Whereas the Americans, outside of a young eldrick, seemingly alway fail to reach their championship potential. I think Europeans in general (especially with this american generation) have a healthier understanding and respect for history, you hear a lot of stories from grumpy old pro's talking about how the new kids don't know who Sam Snead or Walter Hagen is and don't care. Well you know what they say, those who don't know the past are doomed to repeat it.

If the original blonde bomber Jack had the new bomber DJ under his wing, is there anyway DJ is blowing tee times, grounding his club in a bunker or pulling driver on 3 at pebble beach and blowing up for triple on number 4? Kaymer plays and presents himself like he's been a pro for 20 years, and considering his guidance, in a way he has. That kind of stuff is invaluable and in a game as mental as golf, is the difference between winning a major in a playoff and pulling 6 iron in a playoff when you have 0 chance of getting it over the creek or grounding your club in a bunker on the 72 hole when you have a great opportunity to win said major.

Pretty incredible a change of the guards!

I think Europeans in general (especially with this american generation) have a healthier understanding and respect for history, you hear a lot of stories from grumpy old pro's talking about how the new kids don't know who Sam Snead or Walter Hagen is and don't care. Well you know what they say, those who don't know the past are doomed to repeat it.

My immediate response to that comment is: "Then why didn't you teach them?"

I'm with "the paulo"! What's with all this Luke Donald bashing? He's one of the most consistant players in the world...I'm sure none of you will deny that his iron play and short game is top 3-5 in the world. Is it just because he can't drive it 300+ yards or because he isn't American? The guy had numerous top 5 finishes last season on both tours...that equals ranking points, therefore it's surely no surprise that he's up there in the world rankings.

JB...I like your point about Ryo. With the increase in talented players coming out of Asia the rankings should accept that the strength of fields over on their tour is a lot stronger now and take that into account rather than so heavily weighting the PGA and Euro Tours.

I'm with "the paulo"! What's with all this Luke Donald bashing? He's one of the most consistant players in the world...I'm sure none of you will deny that his iron play and short game is top 3-5 in the world. Is it just because he can't drive it 300+ yards or because he isn't American? The guy had numerous top 5 finishes last season on both tours...that equals ranking points, therefore it's surely no surprise that he's up there in the world rankings.

JB...I like your point about Ryo. With the increase in talented players coming out of Asia the rankings should accept that the strength of fields over on their tour is a lot stronger now and take that into account rather than so heavily weighting the PGA and Euro Tours.

You are forgetting one reason. Could it be that the guy is an absolute JERK?

You are forgetting one reason. Could it be that the guy is an absolute JERK?
When you say that can you specify what you base that off of? I mean I'm sure you have heard plenty of stories from media folks etc so I'm guessing that is where this comes from, but is he just one of those kind of people that are arrogant and that "better than you" persona? I could see that being the case I guess. Not saying it's right, I absolutely despise that in fact. But I could see him acting that way.

When you say that can you specify what you base that off of? I mean I'm sure you have heard plenty of stories from media folks etc so I'm guessing that is where this comes from, but is he just one of those kind of people that are arrogant and that "better than you" persona? I could see that being the case I guess. Not saying it's right, I absolutely despise that in fact. But I could see him acting that way.

Im not saying it, I am asking the question.

I have ALWAYS kept media stories and things we see behind the scenes at tournaments away from the forum.

Im not saying it, I am asking the question.

I have ALWAYS kept media stories and things we see behind the scenes at tournaments away from the forum.
Oh I get it, I thought you were saying he's a jerk. That's cool and yeah I would expect nothing less as far as you divulging information that you may have. You're right, it should be kept behind the scenes.

Luke's and Lee's games looked pretty darn steady at the Honda Classic today.

I think they should use the last 20 weeks to decide the rankings that way guys would fall and move up quicker based on how they are playing now. Not sure how they do it now, but if Tiger is still in the top five it can't be my way.

I dont really put to much consideration into the world golf rankings for the simple fact that it is easier for the euros to climb the list than it is the americans. Thats not saying that the euros at the top are not playing well but they may not be where they are if they played the PGA every week instead of the European Tour. It just seems like the top Euros have a far greater chance of having top finishes on the European Tour than they would if they consistantly played PGA events.

I dont really put to much consideration into the world golf rankings for the simple fact that it is easier for the euros to climb the list than it is the americans. Thats not saying that the euros at the top are not playing well but they may not be where they are if they played the PGA every week instead of the European Tour. It just seems like the top Euros have a far greater chance of having top finishes on the European Tour than they would if they consistantly played PGA events.

Which is probably why most of them did not join the PGA tour this year, so they were limited to the number of tourney's they could play over here.

Which is probably why most of them did not join the PGA tour this year, so they were limited to the number of tourney's they could play over here.

It's a thought. I think it's simpler than that and something that guys like Rory have touched on.

The top players make so much money in endorsements and what not (not just that they make money, but the perks that they don't have to spend their money on as well. look no further than bubba done good's $500k watch), that there's no financial emphasis on playing in the U.S. the way there used to be. Rory said that he choose the euro tour this year because it's closer to home, he has better camaraderie with the the guys on the euro tour (who he knows from juniors and such); It's left unsaid but playing in europe he still gets to play in the wgc's, the majors and a select few other big name events of his choosing and he's getting paid millions either way.

With that deal why would you come to the u.s. to face "supposed" tougher and deeper competition in a place further from your home? The money and glory possible in american used to be so much greater that you had no choice to come here. Now they don't, so they don't.

i think they should have a writers poll to determine the rankings, like in college football/basketball, that way tiger wouldn't be in the top 5

Only issue with writers polls is that writers have their favorites. Look at College Football, OHIO STATE is a writers love, even though they have a weak schedule and lose their only tough games they still get poll love. I think they need to weight the difficulty of fields to determine world rankings

Back