Tell 3 things about yourself that people on here don't know

Eh. I am how I am. I am trying to be a nicer person though.

Eh, you just went way down on the likability meter. Not sure I'd admit to being a bully, verbal or otherwise. It's abusive any way you look at it.

I know. As I said, these outbursts are not something I am proud of.
Eh, you just went way down on the likability meter. Not sure I'd admit to being a bully, verbal or otherwise. It's abusive any way you look at it.

I just looked one of those up.... WOW. Between those, tiger fish and some catfish I've seen on Rivermonsters.. Consider me land based haha. My pops scuba dives. Been meaning to give it a try. He hasnt been in awhile but he works for a small business and one of the businesses is a dive shop. Pretty cool stuff.

1. Been scuba diving since 89 (when I was 15). I was an avid spearfisher. Dove up to 180' to hunt many fish. I've wrestled my fish away from 800 lb Goliath grouper (who are more dangerous than sharks). Fended off and had to kill sharks to protect myself. Taught myself to captain a vessel and have been up to 150 miles offshore for a diving trip. I helped start a spearfishing club and have put on several tournaments as well as weigh-master for many more.This hobby has since taken a back seat to golf in the last year.

2. I love architecture.

3. I was run over by a car when I was 15 months old.

yeah you don't mess with Groupers at all man....
I just looked one of those up.... WOW. Between those, tiger fish and some catfish I've seen on Rivermonsters.. Consider me land based haha. My pops scuba dives. Been meaning to give it a try. He hasnt been in awhile but he works for a small business and one of the businesses is a dive shop. Pretty cool stuff.

1. Been scuba diving since 89 (when I was 15). I was an avid spearfisher. Dove up to 180' to hunt many fish. I've wrestled my fish away from 800 lb Goliath grouper (who are more dangerous than sharks). Fended off and had to kill sharks to protect myself. Taught myself to captain a vessel and have been up to 150 miles offshore for a diving trip. I helped start a spearfishing club and have put on several tournaments as well as weigh-master for many more.This hobby has since taken a back seat to golf in the last year.

2. I love architecture.

3. I was run over by a car when I was 15 months old.

I am just amazed at how viscious some fish are. I don't know why it makes me shudder sitting in the desert but it does.

yeah you don't mess with Groupers at all man....

I try.

I want to say something quickly. You could have guessed that I am a bit of a braggart before this thread. Maybe some of the other things I listed too. But not most of them. Most of hem represent a person that I was, not the person I am. I am not perfect biggsy. I make not attempts to mask that fact. But I am improving.
You are transparent, I'll give you that.

I am just amazed at how viscious some fish are. I don't know why it makes me shudder sitting in the desert but it does.

I wasn't kidding when I said they were worse than any sharks I've encountered underwater. That includes, hammerhead, tiger, mako, bull, lemon, sand tiger...the Goliath is the worst and more territorial and aggressive than anything I've ever encountered.

But I am improving.
we should all strive to do that.

we need to talk diving at the ibar in a few months man....your stories sound much better than mine
I wasn't kidding when I said they were worse than any sharks I've encountered underwater. That includes, hammerhead, tiger, mako, bull, lemon, sand tiger...the Goliath is the worst and more territorial and aggressive than anything I've ever encountered.

we should all strive to do that.

1. I own a TRIKKE and love to ride when I get a chance.

2. I have owned two successful businesses. Had a couple that failed too. Learned to never be afraid to fail.

3. I once took so much No-Doz in college trying to pull an all-nighter for an exam that I passed out during the exam the next morning. The only thing I remembered was putting my name on the paper. Flunked that exam BIG TIME.

this is hilarious coming from you. I guess cause I know your personality

What a thread. I'll do my level best to keep up, but there are some people who I've become extremely jealous of suddenly!

1. Wish I was born in 1950 so I could have grown up in the 60's and been 19 in 1969. Badly. I am jealous of those who had the opportunity to be involved in that rich and formative period of our country's culture and history. I see today's society as a vapid and lacking depth, but have no ideas on how you can ingrain culture and activism in a day where Keeping Up with the Kardashian's exist, much less dominates.....

2. When trying out for my HS golf team I drove the 1st hole, a 285 par 4. The coach said, "I have never seen anyone do that in 16years of coaching, your on my team". This was 1991, persimmon heads, balata balls, etc. His mistake! I shot 56 for those 9 holes. He knew I came from a golfing family but didn't know that I had seen John Daly win the 1991 PGA Championship, considered it an epiphany of how golf can be played, revamped my golf swing the next day to match Daly's and then tried out for my high school golf team. I'll never forget the look on his old school, orthodox, country club face when I said "parallel is for puss*%s". Luckily the Asst Coach helped me dial things in and I was Captain my Senior Year, because I was the only Senior! LOL.

3. I had to go to Paris to get a 3rd date with the girl who became my wife. The night we met she told me she was leaving for Europe in 2 weeks and it was a waste of time to give me her #. 2 dates later I was hooked, 3rd date in Europe, then a few years later we got married on Santorini Island, in Greece. TC is right, the views are amazing.

Since some have came back to add more, I'll frontload my additions now while I am rolling along.

4. I quit football my sophomore year because I hated hitting. A month later I took up boxing and then Lacrosse in college because I loved hitting. Turns out I just hated the small town football mentality of our coach.

5. Used to hold the record for the worst recorded automotive accident with full recovery in the state of KY according the State Police. In 1975 my Mom and I were hit head on in a Ford Pinto by a laundry truck on a snowy hwy at 55mph when I was 9 months old. Those plastic excuses they called car seats back then actually saved my life by breaking instantly at impact, allowing me to fly through the windshield and land 155 feet down the highway. Had the car seat worked the G force would have killed me. No clue if the record still stands. Hope so for someone else's sake.

6. Understand and am beginning to really, really, really respect Aggro. I suspect we share a similar skepticism of authority and rebuke of blind authority and appreciate that you are self aware enough to be fine tuning it.

Great thread! I wish I could meet everyone after reading all of this but both outings fall during vacations that had already been booked to Italy (Anniversary) and Michigan (golf trip).

1. My degree is in church music with a minor in French horn performance.

2. I've sung in a choir that backed up the Russian National Orchestra on one of their US tours performing Beethoven's 9th symphony.

3. I've played the National Anthem for an NFL game.

Special bonus memory: I got to shake Arnold Palmer's hand at last year's World Golf Hall of Fame induction ceremony. Sooooooo cool. (He has giant hands, btw.)

You bet, had no idea you dove.

Biggs -- I don't know if you are old enough to remember the TC show "Seahunt"? It was about a scuba diver and all his adventures while diving around the ocean. I believe the actors name was Loyd Bridges. He has a son acting now I'm sure you have seen many times, Jeff Bridges. Loyd was my hero and I always wanted to try diving but for some reason never took the plunge haha. Anyways I have been snorkeling a couple of times in the caribbean and absolutely loved it. It is too late for a 60 yr old man to take scuba diving lessons ?

I'm not sure if Cobra or Cleveland makes dive gear Gray....hehe

Biggs -- I don't know if you are old enough to remember the TC show "Seahunt"? It was about a scuba diver and all his adventures while diving around the ocean. I believe the actors name was Loyd Bridges. He has a son acting now I'm sure you have seen many times, Jeff Bridges. Loyd was my hero and I always wanted to try diving but for some reason never took the plunge haha. Anyways I have been snorkeling a couple of times in the caribbean and absolutely loved it. It is too late for a 60 yr old man to take scuba diving lessons ?

I'm not sure if Cobra or Cleveland makes dive gear Gray....hehe

haha That's my buddy Hanks lmao... Looking forward to seeing and hearing some of that wit at the i-bar in May!

1) I'm married to my high school sweetheart and wouldn't have it any other way. I was a hot-shot football captain and wrestler jock in HS and she was a sophomore "bando". My friends thought I was nuts, I thought I knew what I was doing. Best risk I've ever taken in my life. We've been together now for almost 10 years and I love her profusely and unapologetically.

3) I teach. I'm a public school teacher and I deal with today's youth on a daily basis, with this can say with absolute certainty I worry for our future. You think you know how kids are today, you don't, its scary as hell what is approved of by society today. Teachers are not truly supported with a firm backing by parents or most communities anymore and its a scary place to be professionally, I cannot emphasize enough how bad education is right now. With all my being I love education and reaching young minds whilst making a difference but you simply cannot get 95% of kids to care today, its the "Y" generation as there must always be a "why should I do that" that is followed up by a parent backing that philosophy of "why should he/she do that". Parents are more concerned about being kids friends than parents now and that is not a good place for a teacher to be on a daily basis, it becomes educator and parent. Its a very sad predicament but its like that wounded dog, I keep coming back for more for the sake of those that you can get to...the good ones make it worth it.

2) My life has been football. Both the playing and coaching of the game has been the majority of 22 of 27 years of my life. I no longer love the game though. This last season was the culmination of the past 4 years and put me in a very bad place mentally to the point of scaring myself and my wife more than I can really tell you. This site was a daily outlet for me, I was not in a good way. Because of this I recently announced my decision to walk away from coaching football to the school. It was not taken well though, as arrogant as it may sound I was very very good at what I did as an o-lin d-line coach. But, If I don't love the game like I once did, I don't need to go through the motions and disservice it. I may just need a change of scenery but thats not whats best for my wife and I with her in med-school. So, a teacher only I am now. I'll persevere though, there is a bright light at the end of the tunnel in a few years.

Sorry so mellodramatic in whats been a pretty lighthearted thread, but, this helps alot more than you really know.

Great post Jman. I respect the hell out of teachers. It's funny our son came home with an F the other week on a test. Well turns out the teacher made a mistake in points. Other people were asking, did you flip out on the teacher? I was surprised. Regardless of grading error, why would I flip out on the teacher? To be honest, he shouldn't have missed so many questions to begin with! We make mistakes as people but teachers are helping to shape our kids. Some people are quick to jump on teachers and the fact you teach, and put up with a lot of crap... Much respect.

1) I'm married to my high school sweetheart and wouldn't have it any other way. I was a hot-shot football captain and wrestler jock in HS and she was a sophomore "bando". My friends thought I was nuts, I thought I knew what I was doing. Best risk I've ever taken in my life. We've been together now for almost 10 years and I love her profusely and unapologetically.

3) I teach. I'm a public school teacher and I deal with today's youth on a daily basis, with this can say with absolute certainty I worry for our future. You think you know how kids are today, you don't, its scary as hell what is approved of by society today. Teachers are not truly supported with a firm backing by parents or most communities anymore and its a scary place to be professionally, I cannot emphasize enough how bad education is right now. With all my being I love education and reaching young minds whilst making a difference but you simply cannot get 95% of kids to care today, its the "Y" generation as there must always be a "why should I do that" that is followed up by a parent backing that philosophy of "why should he/she do that". Parents are more concerned about being kids friends than parents now and that is not a good place for a teacher to be on a daily basis, it becomes educator and parent. Its a very sad predicament but its like that wounded dog, I keep coming back for more for the sake of those that you can get to...the good ones make it worth it.

2) My life has been football. Both the playing and coaching of the game has been the majority of 22 of 27 years of my life. I no longer love the game though. This last season was the culmination of the past 4 years and put me in a very bad place mentally to the point of scaring myself and my wife more than I can really tell you. This site was a daily outlet for me, I was not in a good way. Because of this I recently announced my decision to walk away from coaching football to the school. It was not taken well though, as arrogant as it may sound I was very very good at what I did as an o-lin d-line coach. But, If I don't love the game like I once did, I don't need to go through the motions and disservice it. I may just need a change of scenery but thats not whats best for my wife and I with her in med-school. So, a teacher only I am now. I'll persevere though, there is a bright light at the end of the tunnel in a few years.

Sorry so mellodramatic in whats been a pretty lighthearted thread, but, this helps alot more than you really know.

Laying it in on the line without the sugar coating could be a life changer on here. Threads like this are a wake up call and honesty coming from the heart is pure. Great post IMO! There may just be somebody reading this, who has been thinking about their personal situation and your comments may the light they need.

OK three more then!

1. In 1977 I came in 2nd place in the California State Jr. Swimming championships in Freestyle, Breast Stroke and Butterfly. And my swim team came in 2nd place overall. I quit competitive swimming after we moved away from California.

2. The town I lived in in Cambodia in 1993 was shelled by the Khmer Rouge at 4AM one morning. We ran to the military bunkers, but they wouldn't let us in because there was no room for civilians. So we sat on the top of the bunker, drank a bottle of JW Black Label and watched the shells fly through the sky.

3. A week before Christmas my Dad was pushing me around in a shopping cart when I was 3. We were having a great time. Then he slipped on wet tiles and the cart fell over breaking both my legs. The only thing I really remember about that time was a few weeks later when my Dad decided to take off the cast himself with a pair of pliers and thinking he was going to cut off my toes.

I was a counselor for teens with severe emotional and behavioral problems in an alternative inner city high school. They could not be mainstreamed. The vast majority were on probation and came from horrendous home situations. In addition I was a staunch advocate for these kids to insure they received the services they needed to have some kind of chance. In my last year one of my favorite kids--smart, funny, a real leader (and also in a gang...some almost had to be) was murdered in a drive by. What a waste.

Great post Jman. I respect the hell out of teachers. It's funny our son came home with an F the other week on a test. Well turns out the teacher made a mistake in points. Other people were asking, did you flip out on the teacher? I was surprised. Regardless of grading error, why would I flip out on the teacher? To be honest, he shouldn't have missed so many questions to begin with! We make mistakes as people but teachers are helping to shape our kids. Some people are quick to jump on teachers and the fact you teach, and put up with a lot of crap... Much respect.

Laying it in on the line without the sugar coating could be a life changer on here. Threads like this are a wake up call and honesty coming from the heart is pure. Great post IMO! There may just be somebody reading this, who has been thinking about their personal situation and your comments may the light they need.

Many thanks guys.

I know that was really heavy to post but you cannot believe how good it felt to type out. Its one of the reasons I love this place so much, threads and topics like this one. I hope no one thinks I'm being a whiner or dramatic, from my prespective its scary though...but I just try to reach as many as I can, like I said the ones you do get to make it worth it.

This is so true.
I worked for 4 summers at a summer camp, and from that, gained the highest form of respect for teachers who do that on a daily basis.
Many of my friends are teachers, so I have a personal connection to the difficulties that they face on a daily basis.
Parents seem to be complete idiots these days, and that attitude is unfortunately being passed to their kids.

I guess it's my turn...

1 - as I just said, I worked at a summer camp for 4 years; from when I was 17 - this past summer when I was 20. That was easily the best decision I've made to date. SO many learning experiences, and so many great friends made. There really is nothing like having a child's eyes twinkle with wonder and then understanding when you teach them something new.

2 - according to my friends, I'm the cheapest SOB you'll ever meet. I don't see it that way, I just save, and research, and never buy impulsively. I will however splurge on my friends and family without really thinking about it [Chinese New Years dinner for 14?]

3 - despite being a huge car-nut, I didn't get my license until I was 18, almost 19. I received much ridicule for doing this, but my reasoning held that I just didn't think I was ready to control a weapon of mass destruction. I'm glad I did wait - I feel like I'm that much of a better driver for waiting till I felt I was mature enough than if I had just jumped on the bandwagon at 16 like everyone else.

1. When I started playing golf four years ago, I only played Cleveland Golf products because the logo had my initials (GC) and it felt "custom". Now every brand gets a chance, but Cleveland usually wins.

2. My wife and I have been together since high school. We've been together more than half our lives, 17 years. Now that she's learning to play golf (with lessons), We've got a good chance of 17 more years together.

3. I was once paid 5 bucks, and given a ride home, not to tell that a teacher once threw a chair at me when I was in third grade. I was being a smart a$$ in detention and it coming. Now that I think about it, why would I take a ride from the same woman who tried to hit me with a chair??? Luckily, she missed :confused2:

I think much of this has to do with the parents of Gen Y being Boomers, who thankfully, questioned the hell out of authority when it was needed the most. I hate that the ripple effect of that has affected the classroom and the way teachers interact with students. I think everyting will have to be adapted including education to deal with the "why" mentallity as most Boomer and later generations are ardent believers in asking "why" instead of just doing. It is systemic to a fundamental distrust of authority I believe, which comes from constant disappointment and disillusionment with authority figures.

Jman, I appreciate and respect the job you do and hope upon hope that we as a society find a way to get kids better engaged and educated in our schools.

Side note, not meant to derail the topic: Can you believe that "Waiting for Superman" didn't get an Oscar nomination, much less a victory? That is mindboggling to me!

Back