TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Review Thread

I am the same way. My game is not to the point where I'd feel comfortable trying to work the ball left or right. In time.

So I guess TM's thing about a certain handicap rings true, ie these are not the Burners and therefore not a full GI iron, but something infact geared towards a "better" player.

Exactly. TM is trying to do what so many have requested, which is offer sets for different types of players.

maybe they are your first 'serious' set if you think you've outgrown a full GI type of iron?

Wow, I would so not use the word "serious" in a post like that, but that is just me. The Nike VR Full Cavities were an excellent iron.

That could be, however, I don't think I've outgrown GI. Not yet anyways. Maybe down the road. I'm sure these would appealing to a large number of golfers. I know they appeal to me, looks wise at least. I am still very interested to try these in May though.

Good post. You JUST had a breakthrough with your current irons and there is NO reason to make a change right now.

And they will definitely be out there in May at the THP Demo Day.

sorry, that was tongue in cheek
Wow, I would so not use the word "serious" in a post like that, but that is just me. The Nike VR Full Cavities were an excellent iron.

TM is trying to do what so many have requested, which is offer sets for different types of players.

I like that TM has done this. Listening to the consumer (not just the Tour Staff) is always a good thing IMO.

I am the same way. My game is not to the point where I'd feel comfortable trying to work the ball left or right. In time.

So I guess TM's thing about a certain handicap rings true, ie these are not the Burners and therefore not a full GI iron, but something infact geared towards a "better" player.

That could be, however, I don't think I've outgrown GI. Not yet anyways. Maybe down the road. I'm sure these would appealing to a large number of golfers. I know they appeal to me, looks wise at least. I am still very interested to try these in May though.

yeah, I would say these are for the "better" player, but I think a lot of people could game these. I think you will get there buddy, just keep putting in hard work towards getting better. Get that ball striking consistant and you could game whatever you want

I'm really interested in testing these TP CBs side by side with the Burner 2.0s down at the outing.

I'm really interested in testing these TP CBs side by side with the Burner 2.0s down at the outing.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on that, those are the two I'm debating between right now!

I'd love to hear your thoughts on that, those are the two I'm debating between right now!

there are about 50 of us that can give you feedback on that in May! and we will!

I'm sort of sad to say that I won't be hitting these this coming weekend (most likely). I decided to take a week off to recoup my shoulder so I can actually play when the courses open. I'm thinking that I should be able to get on a course by the time I feel better. Basically, I'm apologizing in advance for no updates in the next week.

there are about 50 of us that can give you feedback on that in May! and we will!

Ya big tease. I can't wait!

Tapatalking golfer on my iPhone!

I'm sort of sad to say that I won't be hitting these this coming weekend (most likely). I decided to take a week off to recoup my shoulder so I can actually play when the courses open. I'm thinking that I should be able to get on a course by the time I feel better. Basically, I'm apologizing in advance for no updates in the next week.

You wouldn't be doing anyone any good trying to review something with a bum shoulder. Get better first!

Bummer about the shoulder Hawk, perhaps you can give these beauties a nice clean this weekend.

Can some of you guys elaborate a bit more on the XP shafts? What are your likes/dislikes? I am enjoying the lighter shafts these days and the XP's interest me.

Bummer about the shoulder Hawk, perhaps you can give these beauties a nice clean this weekend.

Can some of you guys elaborate a bit more on the XP shafts? What are your likes/dislikes? I am enjoying the lighter shafts these days and the XP's interest me.

Likes: Lighter, good ball flight, I can hit a good high ball or hit a low stinger if needed. I have never really payed attention to the shaft in the club but I will say that these XP's have become a favorite.

Good question TC. I'm a fan of the S300's ballflight and feel at impact.. Just the weight did not help my elbow or wrists.

Good question TC. I'm a fan of the S300's ballflight and feel at impact.. Just the weight did not help my elbow or wrists.

Perhaps these XP's are just what the doctor ordered then?

Perhaps these XP's are just what the doctor ordered then?

I would think the XP's would be a great fit for Yoccos.

Diablo Forged

Diablo Forged

I asked this before, but has anyone who has hit the CB's also hit the Diablo Forged, and if so, can you compare the two in terms of feel, forgiveness, distance and ball flight? I like my DFs a lot, but am intrigued by the CB since i played the rac LT for a long time and loved that iron. Comparison of the CB to the '05 rac LT would be interesting as well. Thanks.

Not sure that I can give you any dislikes on the XP at the moment. I normally use a bit lighter/higher launching iron shaft and these are exactly what I'm used to. They seem stable and true-to-flex. I'm not sure if they'd be great for your high ball flight, but you never know until you try.

I asked this before, but has anyone who has hit the CB's also hit the Diablo Forged, and if so, can you compare the two in terms of feel, forgiveness, distance and ball flight? I like my DFs a lot, but am intrigued by the CB since i played the rac LT for a long time and loved that iron. Comparison of the CB to the '05 rac LT would be interesting as well. Thanks.

Sorry, but I haven't hit either of those irons, so I can't be of any help to you.

The CBs are more forgiving if you ask me. Feel is very subjective. They both feel good in my opinion. Ball flight is a little higher on the CBs.

The CBs are more forgiving if you ask me. Feel is very subjective. They both feel good in my opinion. Ball flight is a little higher on the CBs.

Thanks JB, I have only hit the DF's 1 time so didnt really have an answer

JB have you hit all the lines in the TM TP? I am interested in knowing whether there is a difference in feel between the CB's, MC's, and MB's. This is a possible skim alert

JB have you hit all the lines in the TM TP? I am interested in knowing whether there is a difference in feel between the CB's, MC's, and MB's. This is a possible skim alert

I have not hit the MBs and only hit the MCs for an hour or so today. The MCs and CBs have a slightly different sound (related to mass in my opinion), but they all have a great feel.

I spent some time with these on the range yesterday, I had to hit off of mats which is not my favorite thing to do because if anyone knows my game then they know I am not affraid to take a divot with me. I have been playing basketball all week and at first started with a slower swing because I was so sore. Right now, being early in the golf season I was really trying to focus on my ball striking and contact, I was having a pretty good day of hitting the sweet spot but there would definately be an errant shot. Anything off the heel or toe I am seeing a decent amount of distance loss, anywhere from 10-30 yards. and the ball tends to not go too straight on these shots. I started really paying attention to my shots and was really liking the results. Again, I am seeing the same results as I have stated. a nice high ball flight with a good soft landing. That got me thinking, can I lower my flight easily with these? and the answer is yes, I was not trying to hit punch shots but I was trying to just get a lower flight and I was very capable of doing so, I was putting the ball back in my stance and getting great low flights.

Feel, I personally am still in love with the feel of these irons. on my mishits, I am able to tell instantly that it was a miss and where it was missed. some people may not like this, but for me I love it because its instant feedback on what I need to work on.

When I got home, I cleaned these and they looked brand new...I hope that these hold up throughout the life of the club because there is something about the looks I enjoy. The iron itself is a very shiny chrom, but the face is more of the muted or matte finish to reduce glare. I had a great range session with them yesterday and I look forward to my round on Friday.

Let me know if there is a certain aspect of these irons anyone would like to see

What kind of face wear are you seeing so far? I'm not seeing a whole lot with my set as of yet which I like
I spent some time with these on the range yesterday, I had to hit off of mats which is not my favorite thing to do because if anyone knows my game then they know I am not affraid to take a divot with me. I have been playing basketball all week and at first started with a slower swing because I was so sore. Right now, being early in the golf season I was really trying to focus on my ball striking and contact, I was having a pretty good day of hitting the sweet spot but there would definately be an errant shot. Anything off the heel or toe I am seeing a decent amount of distance loss, anywhere from 10-30 yards. and the ball tends to not go too straight on these shots. I started really paying attention to my shots and was really liking the results. Again, I am seeing the same results as I have stated. a nice high ball flight with a good soft landing. That got me thinking, can I lower my flight easily with these? and the answer is yes, I was not trying to hit punch shots but I was trying to just get a lower flight and I was very capable of doing so, I was putting the ball back in my stance and getting great low flights.

Feel, I personally am still in love with the feel of these irons. on my mishits, I am able to tell instantly that it was a miss and where it was missed. some people may not like this, but for me I love it because its instant feedback on what I need to work on.

When I got home, I cleaned these and they looked brand new...I hope that these hold up throughout the life of the club because there is something about the looks I enjoy. The iron itself is a very shiny chrom, but the face is more of the muted or matte finish to reduce glare. I had a great range session with them yesterday and I look forward to my round on Friday.

Let me know if there is a certain aspect of these irons anyone would like to see

i was more curious how friendly they are i know all 3 models of the new TP's are Forged and i wanted to know how that came into play. i've never played a forged club before mostly because of all the things i've heard about them being more of a scratch golfers type of club in which i am not ("yet") just haven't had a chance to hit them myself so i was looking for feed back on what to expect when i do get my fingers on them. (they are quite a beautiful looking set though)

What kind of face wear are you seeing so far? I'm not seeing a whole lot with my set as of yet which I like

funny you should ask because I just picked up all of my irons last night after cleaning them to look at that specific thing. I am not seeing much at all, I am seeing some wear around the sweet spot, which just made me grin. I will try to snap a pic tonight.

Back