Cut a putter shaft?

cg13

Addict
Reaction score
Handicap
OOB 13.3
I've always gripped down on my putter- where it's most comfortable is the shaft,so I was going to see about cutting off two inches. Are there any weighting issues to this?
It's a Nike method 001 34".

The swing weight will change, yes.

Swing weight will change but only you will know if that is a issue or not. I always say that it is alright to experiment. Cutting down a putter shaft is no big deal. If it does not work out, it is very easy and inexpensive to return it to the length you have now. Cut away!

When you grip down to the shaft is it more comfortable because of the length change or because the grip is thinner?
As has been said, cutting the length down will change the swing weight but if you are already gripping down then it would be even less noticable (if the swing weight change was really noticable to begin with).
You may not notice the swing weight change but not having that extra lenth extending above your hands will be noticable and that could be either good or bad.
You'll never really know until you experiment and if you're worried about messing with the method you can always find a less expensive putter to experiment with. Ray Cook putters can be picked up for little money and they're actually some really good feeling putters.

A few years back I cut down a dunlop I picked up on ebay and it did OK. I didn't use it much though as I just like to collect putters.

I cut down a ping zing for my stepdad and really haven't felt a difference. I just cut down a ping A-Blade from 36" to 34" and I added some lead tape to it to make it a little heavier because I did feel some change in that one. Its all up to you and your feel.

I do it to every putter I own because the magical length for me is 33.5" for blades and 34.5" for mallets. I have rarely had much issue with swingweight and find the grip size as mentioned above to be far more noticeable.

Its been discussed here many times that feel is very subjective. I've cut a ton of putters down in my life a inch or so and could never really notice the change. However, there are others that would notice a chage if you cut a half inch off their putter.
The bottom line is no one should ever fear experimenting a little. Anything changed can be changed back with ease and little expense in most cases.

You can be safe by getting the swing weight done before you cut it and have a tech help you find what counter weight to put in the but of the shaft before you regrip it. I believe golfsmith still sells small weighted plugs that go inside the shaft.

I cut mine down probably 2 inches and never thought about the loss of weight. How many grams could there be in an inch of putter shaft anyway?

You can be safe by getting the swing weight done before you cut it and have a tech help you find what counter weight to put in the but of the shaft before you regrip it. I believe golfsmith still sells small weighted plugs that go inside the shaft.

I have used a strip of lead tape under the grip in the past as well.

I cut mine down probably 2 inches and never thought about the loss of weight. How many grams could there be in an inch of putter shaft anyway?

Depends. I have some weights wrote down at home in my shop from cut offs but I'm away until later today.

When you grip down to the shaft is it more comfortable because of the length change or because the grip is thinner?
As has been said, cutting the length down will change the swing weight but if you are already gripping down then it would be even less noticable (if the swing weight change was really noticable to begin with).
You may not notice the swing weight change but not having that extra lenth extending above your hands will be noticable and that could be either good or bad.
You'll never really know until you experiment and if you're worried about messing with the method you can always find a less expensive putter to experiment with. Ray Cook putters can be picked up for little money and they're actually some really good feeling putters.

my natural putter swing has always had my arms hanging down - not arched? - thats just naturally where i grip it. i have about 6 inches of wasted grip/lengtrh above my hands when i putt. So i guess i could get an extra long grip and just replace it - or cut off a few inches. Guess ill try cutting if it doesnt work out Ill try again. thanks.

my natural putter swing has always had my arms hanging down - not arched? - thats just naturally where i grip it. i have about 6 inches of wasted grip/lengtrh above my hands when i putt. So i guess i could get an extra long grip and just replace it - or cut off a few inches. Guess ill try cutting if it doesnt work out Ill try again. thanks.

Yowsers! (don't know, just seemed like the thing to say)

I'm 5'11", have a somewhat huched over stance, and my putters are cut down to 33.5". If I let my arms hang down completely I'd have to chop off another 2-3"s from my putters too. Definitely not saying that that's a bad thing at all for anyone, just kind of shocked at how much more I'd have to chop off.

Do you know if any of the shops around you have a putter fitter? It may give you a better idea of what you want to do.

From my experience, cutting off even an inch has changed the feel of my putters, some good some bad. My Rife Aussie after I cut it down 2" took 2 shaft changes and some tweaking with the lie and shaft angle to get it back to where it feels how I like it feeling. But, as HoosierGolfer has said, you can always change them back and they aren't too expensive to experiment with.

I've cut putters down and never noticed a swing weight difference. Even used a scale at the proshop to help figure it out, but cutting an inch didn't make a noticeable difference. I did however end up adding a lot of lead to the head to get it more to my liking.

I hate cutting putters down. Not sure why, but they are never the same.

Cut my 33" putter down to 31" and have never putted better. It did change the swing weight but not so much that I had to add any weight to it.

The real question is not the length that is comfortable to cut the putter down too... Its if your making puts with your current grip. Because if you are... IF ITS NOT BROKE. DONT FIX IT

I want to cut down a Scotty Cameron California I own. Is it possible to save the grip, or does it need to be cut off?

Yes the swing wieght will change, will it make a difference, more than likely not. The putters you buy off the shelf are not finely tuned pieces of steel. Theyare well crafted for the masses. Adding a plug will bring the 'swing wieght' back to what it was. adding lead tape will also aid in increasing the swing weight.

I am constantly tinkering with my clubs and I have cut down several putters that I have done nothing to and they are great. I have added weight to others and they worked great. If you have the time to really test it out on a putting green before and after you will be able to tell what works for you. Good luck!

Having done this myself a number of times (the most extreme being a trim for 35" to 32", I have found that not only the swingweight changes, the whole feel seems to change too.) I find cutting the putter shorter changes how I experience the strike through my hands - might be a vibration or flex thing, as well as the change to the swingweight and if you then add weight back to the head with lead tape or powder in the shaft, the change in feel just increases. Every time I have shortenned a putter more than about .5" I have ended up reshafting it back to its original length or selling it, hence I have stopped shortening them, and instead try and find a model that can be custom ordered to the length I want.

My 2c.............

There are two ways to save the grip
1. place a needle into the grip and pump solvent into the grip and it will slid off. I used to have a metal bottle with a bike pump tube attached and a sharpened bike pump needle just for this task. I would place a tray under the grip to catch solvent and minimize the mess.
2. High preasure air will work as well.
You can always call an order a new grip from Scotty.

I want to cut down a Scotty Cameron California I own. Is it possible to save the grip, or does it need to be cut off?

I use one of these all the time. Works well and it is inexpensive.
110810.gif

I do the same thing with my 8883, its at 35"s and i want to cut it down 2"s but am afraid to. I guess i should go ahead and do it tho.

Back