questions about wedges

AMReeve

Reaction score
Handicap
unoff. 14
i'm putting my hopefully new set on paper and i've come to a crossroad about the wedges i'd prefer not to carry 4 wedges so here is the dilema. these days PW's are getting down to the 46 degree area and i was wondering if its still best to carry a traditional 56 degree SW and 60 degree LW or what i was considering was going to a 54 to replace the 56. or even one step further and dropping to a 52 and 58 to replace their higher lofted counter parts. ideas and opinions would be greatly appreciated

For the previous 2 seasons, I carried a 47, 52 and 58. I really enjoyed the setup.

Recently I went to 46, 52, 56 and 60. However, I am contemplating going back to a 3-wedge setup by dropping the 56 and 60 and replacing with a 58.

I like my 4 degree gaps by having a 46-50-54-58 setup but if I were to drop down to 3, I would drop the 58 I think.

I'm looking to try a low bounce 58* and keep a 52 or 50* gap wedge. My 44-50-55 set is close but I'd like to try something closer to a lob wedge. Lobbing my 55* is a little too tricky as I have to open it up so much.

Honestly your best bet would just be to figure out your yardage gaps and then put the wedges in play that best fit the needs of those gaps for you. Personally I play a 54 and a 58 which fit my needs from 110 yds and in.

i cary a 47*, 54* and 58* but would like to add a 4th wedge

I have a a 45*PW, a 56*SW and a 60*LW. That seems like a huge gap between a PW and SW and wondering, should I go with an AW?

I used to carry 4, 45* PW, 49* GW, 53* and 60*, got rid of the 60 and had the 53 bent to 55. The one less option has really helped me out the past few rounds, forcing/helping me to learn the capabilities of 55* and I doubt I will ever have more than 3 wedges total again. I am actually finding myself using the 8I and GW around the green more now as well.

I used to play a 52 & 58 but am switching to a 54 60 combo this year because I found I needed more loft in several situations around the greens and the 52 was a little too strong and close to my PW. It's all personal preference.

I only carry a PW, SW and LW... I guess I'm missing the boat on this too.

Back