Anyone play with cheaters?

RH#1

Reaction score
Handicap
And by cheating, I mean not putting down an accurate score. Some of my buddies that I play meaningless rounds with do this. They don't take strokes on anything & I'm not sure they even know the rules. I don't want to be a dick as they are my friends, but when they go around telling people about how they shot in the low 80's it burns me a little. I try and quietly do my thing as best I can. I play in a weekly competitive league where they count everything & I am sure that's where I get it from. I also believe that you're not helping your cause by lying about your score. Anybody else play with these guys?

I do, very frustrating

I have. Unless we are competing I pay no mind to it. After holes you hear things like "I had a 6" and then you think to yourself "Is this guy on pot?"

I have one playing partner who at least once a round forgets to count a stroke, but I think it is truly an honest mistake, I don't call him on it as we are just playing for fun, but it does irritate me a little the once or twice a year he "beats" me and I know better. He actually beats me about once a year.

I'm pretty sure everyone plays with these guys. Shouldn't bother you unless you're playing against them. Put a really small bet on the round and before you tee off explain you have to play by the rules. If it's what they need to do to keep from flipping out or it keeps them playing golf, I have no problem with it. To each his own. You can't get upset about what people say about their game off the course. Every person I talk to off the course that plays golf tells me they hit it 300+, blah blah blah.

In the end, it doesn't really matter if there is nothing on the line, but I agree that it can be frustrating. I work hard on my game and when I play with somebody that's fudging scores and foot wedging I hate to hear them say they got a 5 when I did too (a real 5, that is).

I myself might forget a stroke i've had a bad hole and get frustrated. My playing partners are pretty honest and I am as well.

one guy in my tuesday night league will shoot a 14 on a hole and say he got a 6 or 7. very frustrating. im contemplating calling him out this year, but we will see how it goes.

I play with a few guys who use clickers to help keep their score. After a hole, you can tell by the look on their faces that what they're writing down, is not what the clicker says. :)

I play with a few guys who use clickers to help keep their score. After a hole, you can tell by the look on their faces that what they're writing down, is not what the clicker says. :)

I would think if you need a clicker to count your strokes on a hole you're not doing so well. Haha

got one guy on our fall myrtle beach trip like that. its a running joke among the rest of us. I've seen him score at least an 8 on a hole and when you ask him what he got on the hole he'll say "give me a 5". His brother-in-law even tested him once, they both hit into the woods and this guy always "finds" his ball even when it went into the woods at a billion miles an hour... so this time his BIL gets there 1st and find this guys ball 1st, picks it up and put it in his pocket, sure enough the other guy said he found his ball "sitting up nice too"

and if some one else shot 84, he always winds up shooting 83...its a running joke but it is also the reason we can't play for anything other that closest to the pin on that trip, hard to cheat on closest to the pin...

these dudes are on FB telling people they are shooting 82's & whatnot. I think Fairway2Green's idea of putting money on the line is a great way to teach them the rules of golf. And if they beat me I will congratulate them like a good sport.

35% of the Junior members at my home club are like this. One guy even got caught cheating in the club championship. He was so humiliated he withdrew the next day. I just laugh and shrug it off when I actually play with them to see how they really play.

I would think if you need a clicker to count your strokes on a hole you're not doing so well. Haha

LOL - exactly! We're kind of mean though: we will mess with them by carrying our own clicker and after they hit their shot, depending on where it lands, we may click it a few times. It gets a good rise.

Hahaha. I do but I figure theyre hurting themselves more.

I was absolutely killin my irons te other day though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mulligan Andy would be a scratch golfer if that was the case! :D I have a buddy that likes to hit until he is happy. He hit 8 into a pond one time and then asked us for a ball. I'm like I don't think so and he then claimed a par on that hole. In his mind and with his pencil he has played some great rounds. But you take whatever he says with grain of salt to begin with.

Mulligan Andy would be a scratch golfer if that was the case! :D I have a buddy that likes to hit until he is happy. He hit 8 into a pond one time and then asked us for a ball. I'm like I don't think so and he then claimed a par on that hole. In his mind and with his pencil he has played some great rounds. But you take whatever he says with grain of salt to begin with.

I know exactly who you talking about.

Its amazing how someone who plays twice a year always manages to shoot even par.

When he shoot even par? I thought it was always 67 or 68.... maybe 69 if he was a little off. :alien:

i actually thing its funny to see guys cheat and think to themselves "nice i got away with that one" while everyone else they are with is thinking "what the f**k" just happened. was playing in an outing and a guy walked onto own hole asking did we see his balls and as he asked he kicked his ball out of the rough into our fairway, he carried on playing, i saw his card afterwards and he had wrote down a par (4) i couldn't stop laughing in the clubhouse. what an idiot................

Yeah there are these guys everywhere. The part that drives me nuts about playing with people like that is that I'm sitting here adding my score up properly and seeing them shoot dramatically higher than what they write down, come time to add scores up I'll hear, "oh looks like I got you by 2 there, good game". That irritates the hell out of me.

I played with a guy once (a friend of my friend who I golfed with all the time). We were on a par 3 over water, he hit the tee shot in the water, hit his third over the green, chunked his fourth and hit his fifth back to the water side of the green. He said, "just give me a six, I'm done with this hole."

I played with a guy once (a friend of my friend who I golfed with all the time). We were on a par 3 over water, he hit the tee shot in the water, hit his third over the green, chunked his fourth and hit his fifth back to the water side of the green. He said, "just give me a six, I'm done with this hole."

That's the best. 6 balls off the tee in the water, 3 chunked chips, 3 putt and then "Just give me double par". Haha

i played against a kid who cheated in college, he was caught 3 times in a row in 3 different tournaments and he was kicked off the team finally.

One guy I'll play with is this way. Loves to act like we are playing match every time we go out. I won't bet him cause he won't play from a divot etc... Funny thing is he knows my score better than his own.

Of my friends like this, none of them cheaters, they are don't carers. They are out there for the sunshine and to try and hit a few good shots to talk about over beers later. Strictly recreational for them.

Strangers on the hand,,,, can be delusional. Lots of stories like those posted above.

Back