Premier League 2010-11 Season (Spoilers)

Copenhagen looked horrible in the first half. Better start to the second. Surprised me to see them just allow Chelsea to take their time and bring the ball up with hardly any pressure. Don't watch many Copenhagen matches but it seemed in the first half everyone wanted to be the hero to score. They were taking bad shots instead of trying to set something up. They're lucky it's only 1-0.

I agree F2G, Copenhagen looked like crud but they've been on winter break for 5 weeks. For their first competitive game in that time frame I don't think they did too badly, though that giveaway to Anelka was simply dire. Interesting conspiracy thought: The player that gave away the ball for the first goal use to be a Chelsea player. Think he got instructions from his former team heh.

Good on Madrid for finally not losing in/to Lyon at the 4th time of asking... I also think Benzema wasn't ready to leave France. He's never looked comfortable in Madrid and as soon as they head back to France he plays a good game. Go back to France mate. Marseilles certainly could have used you in the United game. That game also gets my vote as one of the worst in recent history. Both clearly wanted to get it going but simply couldn't. The return tie is going to be tricky for Man U as well. They've played extremely well at OT this year but OM is going to have Gignac back, who their strike force revolves around, so they could be dangerous.

Meanwhile I love the spirit Arsenal showed F2G. Barca simply thought they had it in the bag and the gunners would roll over and die after the first goal. Good show to them. If we're being honest, the gunners should have won but 3-2 instead of 2-1. Messi's goal wasn't offside and Bendtner is a dumb nuts for trying for the glory. I honestly think he holds Arsenal back every time he plays. Selfishness is good in a striker but only to a point when you play in a triangle offense and he just doesn't seem to get it. Send him to Udinese with some cash for Sanchez (better then Arshavin when coming off the wing and would make an amazing foil for Chamkah/Van Persie).

I think the replay at Nou is the game I'm looking forward to the most as either could win it. Barca were just gasping for air at the end of the game in London and with Pique out and possibly Puyol again, Barca's defense is actually worse then Arsenel's (as long as Kos plays like that again. As good as Jack was, Kos definately was MoTM for me).

Madrid vs Lyon will also be neat too. The directors are RM don't like the pragmatics that Mou brings but if he wins the tie over Lyon they won't have any chance to say it's not effective.

I'm sure Chelsea did have something to do with that giveaway from Gronkjaer, that's the type of club they are. Haha

Totally agree that Benzema should go back to France. I would like to see Lyon win just because of the "The Special One", but I see Madrid advancing.

I would love to see Gignac and Marseille take them out at OT. If I remember correctly there was one run Nani made where he had Rooney for a sure goal to the left and decided to try and dance. He irks me for some reason. A lesser version of CR?

Can't wait for the match at Nou, but I think Barca will be much more efficient. Gunners have a shot with no Pique and Puyol out. Bendtner, I can't stand him.

Always like reading your posts ST. I'm ready for the Carling Cup Sunday!!

I'm not nearly as down on Chelsea as you are but I can see them being perceived as a bit shady sometimes (but then I grew up watching Zola at Chelsea which was a different era. That guy was simply class. Also a big screw you to West Ham for not supporting him properly).

Seriously Benzema back to Lyon or OM. Benz and Gourcuff getting regular time together is mouth watering. Plus RM always want their striker to be a target man/fox in the box and Benz is neither of those. Very much the typical shadow striker like Van Persie.

Nani's biggest problem is that he keeps trying to make himself bigger then CR. He wants a bigger legacy at ManU and wants to be more important for Portugal. Did you see the goal he tried to steal from CR in the last round of Intl games? Literally jumps in the way of a shot that's already beaten the keeper and is a sure goal to put a touch on it and score himself. The better part was that he was offside so it was waved off. Hah! If he ever gets over the Nani vs CR battle I would expect his good to great performances of this year to be constantly great instead.

Speaking of dumb thing have you seen this video yet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsEbf-o83fc

Bend still needs to go but on second thought you don't really need Sanchez. I seem to recall that Hazard wants to come to play for Wenger. That would certainly sort the inside winger issue out.

Arsh/Fabregas/Song/Nasri/Hazard with Arsh and Hazard on the wings running inside would be an amazing midfield in the fluid 4/5/1 - 4/3/3 formation. It also works for when Fabregas finally goes to Barca as Jack can slot right in.

Also wicked sucky for Fabregas to be injured. I was looking forward to seeing the first spanish captain hoist a cup in England but I guess that's not to be.

Nice to have some people to chat with about footie. Most of my friends don't know it at all and go all blank eyed when I talk about triangle formations and such heh.

I was just poking at Chelsea.

I just read about the goal Nani stole from CR, couldn't find any videos they hadn't already pulled. That perfectly explains it.

I've always liked Hazard and would love to see him come and play for the Gunners. Unfortunately it's just a question of how soon will it be before Fabregas goes to Barca.

The video of the guy hitting himself with the other guys hand is hilarious. Sucks that guys play like that, but great slo-mo replays of it. Haha

Well it's not like Arsenel needs money so they can afford to hold on to Fabs until he turns into Le Sulk. Barca on the other hand are big in the money problems so might have issues stumping up what Arsenel wants. They were way far apart last time too. I think Barca was willing to go to 30 and Arsenel were demanding 60 to even start talking.

Chelsea is in big need of a make over this coming off season. The Drogs/Lamps/Terry era has come to a close. They figured it out somewhat last year with Ballack/Deco/etc going but it's time to inject fresh blood into this squad. Let Mac/Sturridge/Kakuta/Ramieres play more, sort the side defence and midfield. Get some speed and width and younger. Abrom would have been better putting the 50 mil into a bunch of players instead of Torres IMO (though Torres will make the sale of Drogs much easier). I imagine he easily could have got Hulk, Hazard and Sanchez for it. Take an extra 15 or so and go get some promising side backs to go with Luiz as well.

I did forget about Barca's money problems, but you got it right with Le Sulk. If it gets to that point where Barca want him, but Arsenal asks to much for them (again) he will become a problem.

I'm sure Chelsea will revamp the squad after this year and I'm sure it will be a good revamp. They should be able to unload some of these older guys with huge wages, hopefully at least I'm not sure what kind of contracts they all have. I just poke at Chelsea because the guy who really got me into Arsenal was from London and absolutely hated them. He wouldn't wear or use anything blue. Haha For me I would like to see them put out a better squad just for the better matches it would produce, but I certainly don't want them beating the Gunners or winning the Premiership over them either.

I thought it was a bit much for FT. He has been looking very active out there, but his finishing needs to improve.

Wasn't Hulk wanting a crazy amount of money or something like that?

F2G: Dude, what the fist was that game about? I haven't seen Arsenel play that badly in a long time. Kos went from being a world beater to very average and Szczesny showed how green he still is. He's lucky he wasn't red carded in the 2nd mintue for that takedown.

I think they've still got Barca on the brain and couldn't focus.

That match was horrible. Rosicky was rubbish again. Foster played well for that 15-20 min stretch in the 2nd where Arsenal was putting together a few attacks, but Arsenal just wasn't ready for that match. Wenger has to be livid.

City was lucky to get away with a draw today. Looked horrible.

It was a good Carling Cup final between Birmingham City and Arsenal. Always good to see Arsenal lose.

So, a best possible result for Arsenel with the ManU loss eh. Unlike most ManU/Chelsea games that ws actually a pretty good game with the spectator with lots of back and forth.

Also I think Luiz is going to prove me wrong about being wickedly over priced. Doesn't look like he needs much settling time at all, just some polish.

Luiz looked great. Should have probably been sent off, but he played with some great intensity and that goal was a great finish. It was a great match to watch. Still no finishing from Fernando though. Great result for Arsenal.

Bad news RVP is out for the second leg against Barca.

Hopefully they can put a 3-0 on Leyton Orient today.

So Chelsea beats United. Normally I would say woohoo, but since City is not likely to catch United for the title, they'd have been better off if United had wone the game. Now Chelsea is 2 points back of City with a game in hand. Although it wouldn't have mattered as much if City had taken care of business against Fulham.

So Chelsea beats United. Normally I would say woohoo, but since City is not likely to catch United for the title, they'd have been better off if United had wone the game. Now Chelsea is 2 points back of City with a game in hand. Although it wouldn't have mattered as much if City had taken care of business against Fulham.

The 20th should be a good match.

Fifth round action in the FA Cup. In 15 minutes, City takes on Aston Villa.

Fifth round action in the FA Cup. In 15 minutes, City takes on Aston Villa. I'll be avoiding this thread until we watch it!

Arsenal vs Leyton Orient coming up.

RVP could have gone down in the footie annuals as one of the best dutch forwards ever. Too bad he's made of glass and can't play a full season.

Agreed, Luiz should have been sent off but then Rooney shouldn't have been playing in the first place. I'd call that reffing karma really.

And F2G, Bendter is playing. You still want to call 3-0? Also note that Wenger went back to Almunia for the game and the Henderson is getting his first professional game call up. Neat for him (I still remember doing that...)

Good luck smalls. Villa is tricky opponent who went they're on, can be pretty good.

Damnnnnn Bendtner

Bugger, 3 mintues into each game and Arsenel and City have already scored...

Chamkah from Rosicky and Toure from Vieria (sort of)

Edit 1: 2-0 for City now

Edit #2: Both Arsenel and City come with the expected win. What I'm not sure of is whether Orient or Villa played worse...

Last edited:
One of the best games of the year for City, 3-0 over Aston Villa. On to the 6th round.

Nice to see Silva back and getting a goal as well. Bolotelli scored a goal but then got a stupid yellow and was promptly replaced by Tevez. The guy needs to go, seriously.

I don't imagine he'll stick around that long Smalls, he wants to go to AC Milan anyways to stick it to Inter. However Milan claims they're poor (they aren't, not by a long shot) and already have Ibra, Pato, Robinho and the ageless Inzaghi. When they heck would Bat play and how long before he and Ibra have a knife fight on the pitch...

I would guess he's not going to be around City for much longer. Guy has great talent, but he's about as cocky as they come.

Bendtner with 3 yesterday. Haha

Man U up next in the FA Cup for the gunners. Hopefully they can get healthy and make that match and the rest of the EPL season interesting.

Two interesting stats for you F2G

A: The last time an Arsenelt player got a hat trick at any point in the FA cup, they won it (Ian Wright)

B: Since moving to Arsenel Van Persie as only played 42% of the games. Of those 42% of games in which he's involved the Gunners have a win rate of over 80%. In the 56% of games that he hasn't played, there win rate is 58%.

Two interesting stats for you F2G

A: The last time an Arsenelt player got a hat trick at any point in the FA cup, they won it (Ian Wright)

B: Since moving to Arsenel Van Persie as only played 42% of the games. Of those 42% of games in which he's involved the Gunners have a win rate of over 80%. In the 56% of games that he hasn't played, there win rate is 58%.

A is a great sign.

B is sad. Guy has so much talent ,but he's made of porcelain.

Great stats.

Back