Have You Played with "This" Guy?

Im stealing this for a thread :act-up:

Please do! Let me know when it's up! I think I can guess what the post will be about hahah!

The guy they paired me with yesterday was that guy till about half way through the round. He couldn't believe I was flying the ball the way I was with "Wal-Mart" clubs. Had to straighten him out and tell him those days were over for Wilson Staff.

That's what people totally think about Wilson. When I told my buddy I wanted to demo to Di11's he scoffed at me.

lol thats the first time Ive seen that commercial, classic. Played with a few people like this, not by choice mind you. They are usually decked out like they have a sponsor and take 2 to 3 minutes analyzing every shot before they hit it just to post an 85 at the end of the day.

One of my favorite comercials out right now. Wilson is really stepping up there game!!

played behind "that guy" and his buddies
he was dressed really spiffy
they all carried
played from the tips
took forever to hit his shots
his 2 buddies were longballers but we witnessed 3 teeshots of "that guys" barely carry the front tees
they did not let us play thru so we had front row seats to "that guys" awesome game...
they were 2 holes behind a 4some of senior members that are notoriously slow... they started right behind them
on one par 3 it took him 8 shots to reach the green and he read each and every one of his 3 putts
my buddies wanted to rickie barnes him really bad

I've played with that guy a lot. Around here "that guy" has on a Titleist visor, titleist bag, and clubs.

i have played with that guy!

Dunno maybe I'm that guy, I like to play blades. I don't wear shooting glasses or barge through groups though.

Does Wilson really have a bad name? I always thought the staff stuff was respectable gear. I'd understand if it was Northwestern or some other off brand but snubbing Wilson, seriously?

Last edited:
I would have told "that guy" he couldn't play through after that shot.

Does Wilson really have a bad name? I always thought the staff stuff was respectable gear. I'd understand if it was Northwestern or some other off brand but snubbing Wilson, seriously?

back in the day sure, but they did let themselves become a K-Mart brand there for a while before their resurgence in the last couple years...

I might have been that guy last year. I had to have some R9 B irons. Ran out of talent above the 7 iron. LOL Humbling...

Play with this guy? I AM that guy!!!

Great commercial, in a way I think most of here on THP are that guy... It comes from knowing more and more about equipment, clothes, everything... Its funny because its true!

I absolutely LOVE this commercial. Have you ever played with "this guy". Or maybe are you "this guy"? The whole commercial is such a great take on the social credit aspect of golf.

Loved the yellow safety glasses!! Yep I've played with a couple guys like that. And one that played like Ricky Barnes too!!

cool commercial

That guy looks like Clutch McGee.

I had a buddy who is a solid high 80's golfer. He bought some Bridgestone J36 blades. He told me one day that they weren't very good clubs. When asked why he said, "They don't go very far and I can barely get the ball off the ground." I smiled and didn't burst his bubble.

Somewhat similar story:

Me and two of my buddies (0-2 handicappers) were about to go out and play a practice round one day, just about to tee off when some dude comes semi-running down to the first tee. "Hey guys, mind if I join you?" was his question and we were polite (but not exactly stoked) to have him join us. Add to that the fact that he said something about not wanting to play with the group of ladies that were teeing off right after us, because "it took time and they hit it so short". Guy looked like a total try-hard and came off as a total jerk.

Anyways, we told him to take a minute and loosen up while we teed off. We hit all three drives down the middle, all close to 300 yards and he said "y'know what, I'll join another group", while being visibly about a foot shorter.

One of my all time favs of all commercials. We have all been there in one way or another. I am not proud but I used to be like that in my younger days, thought I was way better than I was! I have learned a lot since those early twenties but I still wear my bug shades with orange lenses on bright days to the course...HAHAHA

Ricky!

Love this comercial. Lucky to have a good group of pretty normal guys. I dont think this guy would last two rounds with us.

Somewhat similar story:

Me and two of my buddies (0-2 handicappers) were about to go out and play a practice round one day, just about to tee off when some dude comes semi-running down to the first tee. "Hey guys, mind if I join you?" was his question and we were polite (but not exactly stoked) to have him join us. Add to that the fact that he said something about not wanting to play with the group of ladies that were teeing off right after us, because "it took time and they hit it so short". Guy looked like a total try-hard and came off as a total jerk.

Anyways, we told him to take a minute and loosen up while we teed off. We hit all three drives down the middle, all close to 300 yards and he said "y'know what, I'll join another group", while being visibly about a foot shorter.

lol... reminds me of a guy that joined up with us
my brother and my cousin are long ballers... they can hit it a ton
but me im a short knocker
in order to speed up play when we are all together my brother and cousin play up from the teebox i usually go to
this tool joined us as a single and saw us at the middle sets of tees and starts pitching a b*tch to the starter how he didnt wanna be with beginners but there was no room for him anywhere cuz there were alot of 4somes that had teetimes after us so either play with us or wait for another opening... he says okay fine
since this guy claims to be "awesome" my brother and cousin pitch the idea of playing the tips with him
we all move back(im still playing up)
my brother hits his drive about 280 left rough
cousin hits his ball 320 right rough
mr awesome a grand total of 190... 40 of which sliced into the woods
i hit mine 230ish left rough
this proceeds to happen the whole round with my brother and cousin exchanging long drives
not once did the guy out drive them even when he hit the fw the one or two times...
even when they were teeing off with short irons on a par3 and the guy hit fw woods or hybrids
it was embarassing

lol... reminds me of a guy that joined up with us
my brother and my cousin are long ballers... they can hit it a ton
but me im a short knocker
in order to speed up play when we are all together my brother and cousin play up from the teebox i usually go to
this tool joined us as a single and saw us at the middle sets of tees and starts pitching a b*tch to the starter how he didnt wanna be with beginners but there was no room for him anywhere cuz there were alot of 4somes that had teetimes after us so either play with us or wait for another opening... he says okay fine
since this guy claims to be "awesome" my brother and cousin pitch the idea of playing the tips with him
we all move back(im still playing up)
my brother hits his drive about 280 left rough
cousin hits his ball 320 right rough
mr awesome a grand total of 190... 40 of which sliced into the woods
i hit mine 230ish left rough
this proceeds to happen the whole round with my brother and cousin exchanging long drives
not once did the guy out drive them even when he hit the fw the one or two times...
even when they were teeing off with short irons on a par3 and the guy hit fw woods or hybrids
it was embarassing

I love reading these stories. I havent had an experience with "that guy" but if I do, I think ill have some fun with him and mess with his head. "Betcha cant drive this par 4 over 320yds of water!!!"

Back