JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
ITR is back with their weekly show and it is filled with great information. THP welcomes GolfTEC to the show to discuss club fitting.

On this episode:
What is club fitting?
Is it only meant for good golfers?
How should one get ready for the golf season?
How much can adjustments really change the ball flight?
And so much more

As always you can listen to it streaming right here as well as download it from here. The show is also available at ITunes & Podcast.com

http://thehackersparadise.com/home/?p=12686

Great topic. Heading over now to listen.

Thanks JB - listening now! Definitely need some help on this subject.

Definitely listening now. Has GolfTec ever offered a THP fitting discount / or lesson package?

• Admin
Definitely listening now. Has GolfTec ever offered a THP fitting discount / or lesson package?

They have given a few away on the THP forums and there might even be something like that happening VERY soon.

Listening to it now. I find it funny that you had the same "power fade" in your younger years. I used to have to aim for the woods to get it in the fairway.

love the story about the guy fitting himself. i'd like to see the #s on people who actually take the advice of their fitter.

They have given a few away on the THP forums and there might even be something like that happening VERY soon.

Good to hear, I am definitely going to go get fit after my running marathon is over and I can focus on golf again. Will THP get any love from GolfTec if I tell them "THP sent me"?

Can't wait to tune into this show! I think it's a superb topic.

I agree with TC, outstanding topic and something that EVERYONE should listen to!

I'll be listening to this today! Great topic here, and one I'm very interested in recently. :D

Definately priority 1 when I get home today...Excellent topics for a perfect time of the year!

I was also very interested in JB's comment about the power fade and how much the shaft can impact that. I really had no idea...

This will be a good one, cant wait to hear it.

I'm just listening to this now and have to agree with absolutely everything that is being said. I was "fit" for my first set of irons (Cleveland CG7 Tours) with a tape measure and a lie board. The guy who fit me seemed really disinterested and looking to get through the "fitting" as fast as possible and get out with his commission.

I was very inconsistent and was getting frustrated with my game. I started taking lessons at the same place I bought the clubs and the pro there told me after the first lesson that he thought I should get an extra 3/4in on all of my irons (I'm 6'2"). Along with the swing changes, the proper length clubs helped me become more consistent and have more fun out on the course.

I just got my new set of clubs over the winter and had my instructor fit me for them this time (rather than the commission seeking sales guy) and had the 3/4in added again. At my next lesson we're going to work on lie and loft to properly gap my set. I really cant wait to get back out on the course this year.

Sorry for the novel but I thought I would share my experience with club fitting to encourage all those out there who are leary about getting fit for clubs to find your local GolfTEC or PGA pro and definitely get your clubs fit to you.

Great topic THP!

I really should try a fitting.... I have never had a fitting. I just buy stock Taylormade's, so i should see...

I really should try a fitting.... I have never had a fitting. I just buy stock Taylormade's, so i should see...

Im going out on a limb and guessing you did not hear the radio show?

Really enjoyed the show, learn something everytime. I loved his point about fitting to an an actualy angle vs generic 1* up or down. The evaluation process he spoke of piqued my interest as well, I know my irons are new and were fiitted but a second opinion couldn't hurt...as well as an add in a extra boost of confidence equipment wise.

I got home this evening and just played the interview again. A couple of points I was happy you guys hit on was the fact that there are no industry standards in regards to shafts or shaft flex's. Next you hit on the importance of having different lie angles from the long iron down to the wedges. I just only found out maybe two years ago that I needed to be 2 degrees flat on my wedges, something that was over looked in my earlier fittings. That made a world of difference in my wedge play. Great points as well in that fittings are not just for good players. Anyone can benefit from a proper fitting.

I remember the pro at my home course telling a person one time that he needed to go through a fitting and the guy responded by saying "no way...I can't afford new clubs right now" and you hit on the fact that often times fittings will just show the need for filling a gap or tweeking a club or two. It does not mean you will need a new full set of clubs and I think there are many people out there that think that.

You guys also talked a bit about adjustable drivers and as you know I just started a discussion today about the subject and while I still lean towards thinking that there are players out there that will make so many changes to their driver without the help of a professional, that they could do more damage than good, at least in the short term until they can get some help, but overall I agree that they are good for many players and are here to stay.

Also happy you guys addressed the ego's that are out there. I've been saying for years that ego's do play a huge roll in golf. I always said that I have no ego's in my bag and I would play my wifes clubs if they made me a better player. Everyone knows someone that just can't accept the facts and allow the ego to control what they play. Only through interviews like this will change minds in the future.

Great interview!

Good topic, fitting is worth the cost to advance your game

Listened to this show this morning. I agree with Doug that some people may need different lie angles in their wedges. My GW and LW are 1 degree flatter than my irons.

I have 4 different lie angles throughout my set of irons.
FYI - A good clubfitter will do a follow-up fitting for you once your new clubs have arrived. Most of the fitting carts have one club (usually a 6 or 7 iron) so you are only able to be fit dynamically with one club. A follow-up fits allows us to make sure the other clubs in the set are a fit dynamically as well as helping us to make sure we got what we ordered (manufacturers do screw up sometimes). And having loft and lie machines on the premises allows us the chance to make adjustments on the spot and to make sure the clubs are correct before they leave.

Back