Equipment Pondering - W/ OEM Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.
all things being equal....G15....control the distance vs. letting the distance control you
I have narrowed down my search for a big stick to 2 competitors now:

Ping G15 and the Callaway Diablo Octane
Both stiff shafts

Went to a golfsmith and hit with a simulator. Quite to my amazement, my swing speed was much faster than I thought (last time i was measured was nearly a year ago). Instead of my normal 95-100 speed, I was swinging the driver 110-115. Thinking it was a non calibrated sim, i called the tech guy over and he checked it out. After saying it was working correctly (but still not believing him) i switched sim's just in case. First swing, 119, second swing 116.

So..........that being said, my distances with both the G15 and the Octane were between 260-290. The G15 was usually in the 265 range and the octane was usually in the 280 range. The G15 had less than 10 yards off center on 9/10 drives where the Octane had 7/10. After reading a bit about the G15, a common theme seems to be that it is very hard to 'work' the ball and get a draw/fade with it. The Octane seemed a bit easier to move around, meaning i could force a fade but the G15 wouldnt budge from straight. So the final question is....

Which one should I go for? The G15 for control/straight drives and less workability, or the Octane for longer/less controlled drives but more workability?

all things being equal....G15....control the distance vs. letting the distance control you

says the wise man!

That was the way I was leaning. Just wondered if down the road it would begin to frusturate me that I couldnt 'work' the ball.

That was the way I was leaning. Just wondered if down the road it would begin to frusturate me that I couldnt 'work' the ball.

When it comes to driver Im usually always just looking for it to go straight. I dont think I ever try to work it.

Did Callaway do away with their entire X line entirely? I don't see them being offered, instead they have the Diablo Edge irons and the Razr-X irons (for the women, of course :D)

Did Callaway do away with their entire X line entirely? I don't see them being offered, instead they have the Diablo Edge irons and the Razr-X irons (for the women, of course :D)

The X line was discontinued, but the X-24 is still a current line product.

So pretty much my clubs are obsolete, LOL!! What would be the equivalent? The Diablo Edge or the Razr?

What about what Phil is swinging? is that part of that line - or are those strictly prototype irons?

So pretty much my clubs are obsolete, LOL!! What would be the equivalent? The Diablo Edge or the Razr?

The edge are pretty similar to the X-22's. The edge did feel a bit hotter off the face and I got a bit more distance compared to the 22's. Haven't tried the Razr's yet.

I dont seem to be getting as much from the M2 as the 3W but I also havent had the GPS with me yet. Thats been a whole new issue in itself lol. The conditions have been so bad too that its just hard to tell. I can say its very close though. And if I can even more from the M1 I'll take it.

Yeah I think I might have just had a really good day with the Mashie and a lot of the holes that I used it to tee of from were either downhill or the landing area was hard and I got some good bounces. I was really getting incredible distance with the M2 last week. Just called a course that is close to my house and they have an opening for tomorrow so as long as the wife will drop me off on her way to a party I am good to go. This course is much harder then the one I've played the last few weekends so it will be a good test for the Mashie and the Di11's.

Yeah I think I might have just had a really good day with the Mashie and a lot of the holes that I used it to tee of from were either downhill or the landing area was hard and I got some good bounces. I was really getting incredible distance with the M2 last week. Just called a course that is close to my house and they have an opening for tomorrow so as long as the wife will drop me off on her way to a party I am good to go. This course is much harder then the one I've played the last few weekends so it will be a good test for the Mashie and the Di11's.

You got so many new clubs to test and experiment with its awesome. I really think the M2 could probably get close to 3W distance for some people. Not sure it will for me but you know, its all relative to the swing. Im just happy with straight more then anything. Look forward to hearing how it all goes for you if you get out. A testy course is a good place to see how accurate clubs can be.

I'm dying to switch to CBs. Just need to pull the trigger. I'm super intrigued by the Di11s.

Has anyone heard if PING is coming out with a new stand bag for 2011? Haven't seen or heard anything and looking to pick one up. All I can find so far is that they have new colors of last years models.

I'm dying to switch to CBs. Just need to pull the trigger. I'm super intrigued by the Di11s.

I guess, is the near $500 difference in price worth it?

What do you mean?

CB's - $900 Di11's - $500

So its actually $400. My bad lol. So, is the difference in price worth it? Or are you THAT guy haha

CB's - $900 Di11's - $500

So its actually $400. My bad lol. So, is the difference in price worth it? Or are you THAT guy haha

Hahaha I actually meant cavity backs by CBs. I guess my computer shorthand isn't correct. Since I've found this site it has gotten me away from the whole having your bag look like a pros bag. I always went by what my buddy that's a PGA pro told me, but I now I realize he's THAT guy. Hahaha

Hahaha I actually meant cavity backs by CBs. I guess my computer shorthand isn't correct. Since I've found this site it has gotten me away from the whole having your bag look like a pros bag. I always went by what my buddy that's a PGA pro told me, but I now I realize he's THAT guy. Hahaha

lol my bad, I thought you meant the TM CB irons.

lol my bad, I thought you meant the TM CB irons.

I really want those Burner 2.0's you have, but they're still a little pricey. Next couple weeks I'll whittle my list down and get something. No need for blades.

I finally might get a GPS. I like Bushnell XGC+ and the hybrid. I like the extra features of the XGC+ as a GPS. The hybrid is tempting too as it offers both, but the GPS doesn't have as many features. But, I don't know if I need all those features anyway!

My R9 was misbehaving today.....now I'm pondering a R11. Surely it's better?

I finally might get a GPS. I like Bushnell XGC+ and the hybrid. I like the extra features of the XGC+ as a GPS. The hybrid is tempting too as it offers both, but the GPS doesn't have as many features. But, I don't know if I need all those features anyway!

Sean, I used this unit (I think it's the same one JB has) while visiting THP HQ a couple of weeks ago and it's awesome! The GPS gives you all the information you might need but having a Rangefinder built in is way too cool to me.

It's a great unit, I'd highly recommend it.

I bought the Golfshot GPS for $30 on my iPhone and it's great. I sold my Skycaddie SG5, because I had no need for it anymore.

Wouldn't be surprised if young Thainer doesn't hit this thread up when he gets home. I seriously think he's pondering the Taylormade TP CB's after hitting them some today. He hit some high, long, beautiful golf shots with them.

My R9 was misbehaving today.....now I'm pondering a R11. Surely it's better?

Pondering one of those as well TC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back