Cleveland Drivers

SidBurns

Reaction score
Handicap
Which (out of the following) would be best for a 14 handicapper with a smooth/average swing. Basically I don't (and don't want to) leather the ball, just wanna take it nice and easy.

Cleveland HiBore XLS
Cleveland HiBore Monster XLS
Cleveland Launcher XL270
Cleveland Launcher SL290
Cleveland Launcher DST
Cleveland Launcher (2009)

Unfortunately I cannot find a place to test them all. Just looking for options/opinions people.

Thanks in advance,

Craig/Sid.

Check out Miyazaki's website. They give some general info on the C Kua shaft and which weight is better for certain swings. Still, you'd be best off to try as many of them as you can.

There is no best, but for my money I am taking the one with the best shaft makeup since its clear a fitting is not getting done. So for that I am choosing the ones that come standard with Miyazki. 270 or 290.

My initial incline was the SL290, sounds like the new drivers are the way to go! :D

Hitting the range tonight to compare it against my Nike 5900 Square Sumo. I'm sure the SL290 will BLOW it away! Also gonna try the Mashie, cannot wait!

Enjoy! Let us know how everything works out for you.

My initial incline was the SL290, sounds like the new drivers are the way to go! :D

Hitting the range tonight to compare it against my Nike 5900 Square Sumo. I'm sure the SL290 will BLOW it away! Also gonna try the Mashie, cannot wait!

SidBurns is going to get his Mashie on tonight, woohoo. Let us know what you think.

I really, really like the SL290. I tested the 270, 290, R11 one night at GG and for me the 290 was a bomber. If I was buying a new driver right now the 290 would be it for me hands down. The Miyazaki shaft's in Clevelands line up this year are really amazing. In fact the only reason I think the 290 didn't make it to my bag (even though I just bought the S2 8 months ago) was that Im getting married in a month and the fiancee would be livid if I came home with another club with all the last minute wedding expenses coming up.

The new line with Miyazaki shafts are unbelievable. I'm hoping to get to a cleveland demo day next weekend and get fit for the 310 myself. Let us know how the 290 goes for you!

OK I have played almost all of them. From Bottom to Top

:bad:Hibore XLS- I found it clunky, loud, awkward and short. Not recommended.

:banghead:DST- I found very very difficult to hit correctly, but when I did catch it it really flew. Still too much work with too little result for me.

:excruciating:Hibore XLS Monster- Great club, very straight, very easy but very very very very loud.

:clapp:Launcher 09- Now we're talking. Fantastic club. I had one with the fit-on gold which keeps me from ranking it tops. But with a fit-on red or made for Cleveland whiteboard this would be hard to beat. Workable, forgiving, sounds good and very long.

:joy:Hibore XL- I know its not on your list, but it should be. For my money this is one of the best clubs out there and given the price you can get them for now, it is unbeatable. Very very long, very easy to hit. The fit-on gold works great with the head. The sound is loud but not too loud and you and work it around if you want to. I have tried a lot of clubs but the XL keeps finding a way back into the. Easily the most consistently good driver I have hit.

I have not tried the new Clevelands, but I would guess they would be more similar to the DST than the Hibore or Launcher 09.

Best is totally relative, but I will say that you are on target with the SL290. I hit this and it is a beast! I love this driver and you will be blown away by how nice the shaft is on this club. So for my money I would definitely be checking this one out as #1 on my list.

I have not tried the new Clevelands, but I would guess they would be more similar to the DST than the Hibore or Launcher 09.

I would disagree with this. I think the new Clevelands are far and away the best drivers they have ever put out (I mean they come stock with a Miyasaki C. Kua shaft). Definitely in a class on their own in the Cleveland Driver lineup. Just my opinion though.

I've not hit all those listed but I did get to know the XL 270 a little more yesterday, I'd never hit a draw bias club before then but I did like what I saw. With my dymo adjusting the face usually turns into pulls of various severity, but the draw bias just gave it a little right to left at the very end of flight. I really really enjoyed the feeling of the club and even with the light shaft it felt outstanding balance wise. Best of luck to you in finding a winner for you.

I would disagree with this. I think the new Clevelands are far and away the best drivers they have ever put out (I mean they come stock with a Miyasaki C. Kua shaft). Definitely in a class on their own in the Cleveland Driver lineup. Just my opinion though.

So you say the feel of the new ones is closer to the Hibores/Launcher 09 than to the DST? I am not saying the DST was a bad club but it didn't work for me and the new ones are evolutions from that design (super lightweight) So if you love the feel of the XL or the Launcher 09, you won't find it on the new Clevelands. But if you love the feel of the DST, its likely you will like the new ones even more- if for no other reason than the shaft. But you can put a great shaft on any club.

OK I have played almost all of them. From Bottom to Top

:bad:Hibore XLS- I found it clunky, loud, awkward and short. Not recommended.

I play the HiBore XLS. I would agree that it is not a "long" club. In fact, when I switched to it, I lost about 20 yards compared to my previous Adams driver. The reason for the switch - (besides breaking the head off of my Adams) was because I've never hit a driver straighter or more consistent. The sound is a little loud and "off?" but I am use to it now.

I also hit the XLS Monster but I struggled to keep it on line when I demo'd it. I had a lot of control issues with pulls and pushes. Easy to hit high and long though.

good luck with your search.

One of my best friends uses Clevelands. Another uses Callaway and I use TaylorMade.

Seriously. Someones asking for a little feedback here, it would be nice to help someone out if you can, otherwise why reply?

One of my best friends uses Clevelands. Another uses Callaway and I use TaylorMade.

I play the HiBore XLS. I would agree that it is not a "long" club. In fact, when I switched to it, I lost about 20 yards compared to my previous Adams driver. The reason for the switch - (besides breaking the head off of my Adams) was because I've never hit a driver straighter or more consistent.

I won't disagree with that. The XLS was a very straight club for me as well.

I owned the HiBore XLS - demoed the Monster XLS- have never hit any of the other ones. Used the XLS for half a season. Loved it, just decided it was time for an upgrade. For someone with a smooth swing - I would recommend the Monster. The club head appears larger - inspiring confidence. One of the reasons I went away from it is I have a higher swing speed and found it difficult to control the head somewhat. Hope this helps

I've not hit all those listed but I did get to know the XL 270 a little more yesterday, I'd never hit a draw bias club before then but I did like what I saw. With my dymo adjusting the face usually turns into pulls of various severity, but the draw bias just gave it a little right to left at the very end of flight. I really really enjoyed the feeling of the club and even with the light shaft it felt outstanding balance wise. Best of luck to you in finding a winner for you.

Did you hit the draw version? I am pretty sure the 270 sets neutral unless you get the draw that is 2 closed and has a weighted heel. I haven't seen or read anything stating the 270 has a draw/fade bias.

Did you hit the draw version? I am pretty sure the 270 sets neutral unless you get the draw that is 2 closed and has a weighted heel. I haven't seen or read anything stating the 270 has a draw/fade bias.

I hit the draw version at a GG Cleveland Demo day the I tried the Cobra S2 draw. And had better luck with the Cobra. Just me though.
Maybe I just needed some more time with the Cleveland.

Well I unfortunately only got the chance to test the SL290 due to American Golf being sold out of all Mashies! Doesn't surprise me though with what all you guys have been saying!?!

Anyway, when I hit the SL290 it flew but then I didn't hit it well very often. Coming from a Nike Sumo 5900 Square Driver I found the SL290 to be so light. I alternated between the two and honestly felt if the SL290 is 290 grams then the Sumo must be 580, it felt twice as heavy.

It's my 30th this Saturday and I've already been informed from my golfing missus that along with my CG16's (traded in my CG7's last week and the 16's are due to arrive on the 15th) I'm getting the SL290, the FL 3 Wood and a Mashie 3 & 4. How does this bag sound:-

Cleveland SL290 10.5 Driver
Cleveland FL 15 3 Wood
Cleveland Mashie 3I Replacement
Cleveland Mashie 4I Replacement
Cleveland CG16's 5 to PW
Cleveland CG14 52, 56 & 60 Wedges (Current Clubs, one year old)

I've got a Fisher putter at the moment but REALLY fancy a Gambler. Which one though!?!?!?! Mmm

I have been hitting the SL 290 with the 43 gram shaft at my local course and it is a great club. I am extremely pleased and after my home course demo day, you will see one in my signature :thumb:

Every time I click into a new thread, my "depth chart" of drivers to try this year changes - there are so many amazing releases this year...maybe, just maybe, this will be the season I find "the one" rather than just the "next one."

Sadly, all I have to go on are a few trips to local retailers since the snow in Boston is just now melting - but even with just a few swings, at impact at least, these Cleveland releases seem for real. Can't wait to get them on the course.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback on these and all the clubs.

Every time I click into a new thread, my "depth chart" of drivers to try this year changes - there are so many amazing releases this year...maybe, just maybe, this will be the season I find "the one" rather than just the "next one."

Sadly, all I have to go on are a few trips to local retailers since the snow in Boston is just now melting - but even with just a few swings, at impact at least, these Cleveland releases seem for real. Can't wait to get them on the course.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback on these and all the clubs.

BB -- I don't know how they will work for you, but the one I am hitting at our club, is the ticket. Man that thing is hawt and I never ever thought I would be hitting a lightweight shafted driver. The way Cleveland has their drivers balanced makes all the difference in the world. Good luck with your driver search, but make sure you keep the new Clevelands on your radar.

Last edited:
how do you feel about the lack of an alignment aid on the crown Gray?
I have been hitting the SL 290 with the 43 gram shaft at my local course and it is a great club. I am extremely pleased and after my home course demo day, you will see one in my signature :thumb:

Back