Using a launch monitor

hypovolemicshok

Reaction score
Handicap
Still have snow on the ground so I am having to try to compare irons using a launch monitor. The good news is the Dick's Sporting Goods finally, after almost a year, has their launch monitor working. The bad news is that their entire golf staff has turned over and no one there really knows what the numbers on the launch monitor mean. What kind of numbers should I be looking for as far as launch angle and spin and what are good left/right deviation numbers? I will probable be comparing 7 irons again. Thanks for the help.

It will be different for different swings. Grab some numbers next time you were there and bring them in. Many here will be able to assist.

It will be different for different swings. Grab some numbers next time you were there and bring them in. Many here will be able to assist.

Exactly. Only thing I'd add is don't get caught up looking at the numbers, because you'll start swinging way to hard, etc.. Just focus on hitting the ball first and don't worry about the numbers until you're done. Good luck.

As JB said, optimum launch angles vary due to a couple of factors

I am sorry to hear that your difficulties with DSG, i'm an employee at Dicks Sporting Goods and have quite a bit of expierence with the launch monitor. so your comparing 7 irons, as far as launch angle and spin rate go they will vary from person to person i know my launch is higher than what is known as common and my spin rate is a little lower becuase of that higher launch. also coming into play will be your swing speed generally higher swing speeds will have lower launch angles and vice versa for lower swing speeds. unfortunately without knowing your swing speed its difficult to determine the area where you should be for the rest of the numbers like launch, spin rate, and distance. but as far as the deviation goes the lower the number the better! 0.0 is as straight as it gets if the computer shows a double dash (--) in the deviation box it didn't quite get the reading. Hope this helps

All very good points but in the end, I would never make a club chage just based totally on numbers. Be sure to hit the clubs that give you the best numbers outside somewhere so you can see the ball flight. I'm lucky in that I work with a custom golf shop close to me that has state of the art indoor equipment, yet they also have a outdoor range as well. Just a thought.

I bought my new irons based off a pro fitter and a launch monitor but if I had it to do again I would wait till the snow melted.

Thanks for the input. I am going to try to hit about 20 or so shots with each 7 iron and see what the differences are between them to compare. I will definitely wait until I can hit some off the mats for real but am trying to narrow things down a little. My swing speed with the 7 last time was 99-104 mph.

Thanks for the input. I am going to try to hit about 20 or so shots with each 7 iron and see what the differences are between them to compare. I will definitely wait until I can hit some off the mats for real but am trying to narrow things down a little. My swing speed with the 7 last time was 99-104 mph.

That's a massive swing speed with a 7 iron. You sure it's 99-104???

Im assumiung there is a huge difference from using a LM indoors as opposed to outdoors??which is more accurate?

That's what the monitor was reading. My first couple swings were 96-98. Most of my shots hit with the Razr X were around 183 yds and 192 yds with the Burner 2.0's for total distance.
That's a massive swing speed with a 7 iron. You sure it's 99-104???

I am pretty sure you were looking at ball speed numbers, not swing speed. Most players struggle to get to 100mph swing speed with a driver.

Im assumiung there is a huge difference from using a LM indoors as opposed to outdoors??which is more accurate?

I wouldn't think there would be any difference.

I am pretty sure you were looking at ball speed numbers, not swing speed. Most players struggle to get to 100mph swing speed with a driver.

i would have to agree i do have a 98 -100 mph with my driver but my 7 iron only gets up to 86 - 88 mph

Hopefully I can get there in a couple hours and try again to double check. I think the ball speed was around 130. I will hit 15-20 shots with the different irons I am looking at and compare averages.

Hopefully I can get there in a couple hours and try again to double check. I think the ball speed was around 130. I will hit 15-20 shots with the different irons I am looking at and compare averages.

If that's your swing speed with a 7 iron I would guess you could drop quite a few strokes by swinging at about 80-85%. Color me jealous.

OK, here are the numbers for the Burner 2.0 7 iron regular flex shaft vs the Razr X 7 iron uniflex shaft. These are 20 shot averages with the a couple of the mishits tossed out. I will probably need to add 1" or so to either club and change the angle. I am 6'3" with a 77" wingspan so I have a pretty big swing.

--------- swing speed -----------ball speed---------launch angle----------spin
burner------99.5-------------------126.7---------------19.7-----------------8347
Razr X------99.4-------------------118.7---------------23-------------------8112

I was hoping they would have the Razr X Tours, some R9's, or Mizuno's to try to but they did not. I am hoping to try some more at the Golf Expo this weekend. Not sure which numbers look better between the Razr X or Burner 2.0's. The club faces of both were taped up pretty good.

Wow, you are really bringing it!! 100mph SS with a 7 iron is pretty big, (like Bubba Watson big). HAHA I am also 6'3" and I only needed +.5" because I have long arms. Just get fitted. I love the 2.0's. I have R9's and really love them too. I have heard very good things about the RAZR line as well, but have not hit them. I am not sure you can go wrong, but you are almost certainly going to need x-stiff shafts

I'd definitely wait till the snow melts too.

I'd echo the two posts right above this one. I am far from an expert, but I would be shocked if the regular flex shafts you are testing with are going to work for you with a swing speed like that. You might want to wait until you can hit them outside.

The rain today took care of a good portion of the snow. Hopefully sometime next week a driving range will open.

thats extra stiff swingspeed hah - but as JB always says - everybody hits flex different - so see whats best for ya. as far as indoors and outdoors - a launch monitor measures the ball at impact and a hundredth of a second later. It takes two pictures - and calculates all the different variables via the difference in rotation from picture 2 to picture 1. (atleast the vector launch monitor ive seen at Golftec and Dicks does, there may be other ones out there that do it differently - but ive only ever seen these)

So going outside wont change anything - except let you see the shot yourself.

Back