Adjustable clubs. Good or bad?

Adjustable clubs. Good or bad?

• Total voters
I think it can be bad when the adjustability is used to correct swing flaws on a regular basis, if you have a usual miss and you adjust for that, it's a good thing as you should be getting consistent results. If you always adjust, you'll never build a consistent swing, let alone fix the flaws that are plaguing it.

Wile I agree with what you say, I have always said that you should get a normal driver and learn to hit it; someone who is wanting a draw driver because of their slice would be better off getting an adjustable so they can set it back to neutral when they fix their swing. I didn't say that here, but I have many times in many other threads. This would be so they don't spend money on a draw driver, fix their swing, then have to buy a neutral driver.

But an adjustable driver can never be bad for anyone, whether you need or want one for any reason. Because if you DON'T want one, you can always set it to neutral. The only thing affected would be the cost difference. But that doesn't mean the club would be bad for anyone, just the price.

Wile I agree with what you say, I have always said that you should get a normal driver and learn to hit it; someone who is wanting a draw driver because of their slice would be better off getting an adjustable so they can set it back to neutral when they fix their swing. I didn't say that here, but I have many times in many other threads. This would be so they don't spend money on a draw driver, fix their swing, then have to buy a neutral driver.

But an adjustable driver can never be bad for anyone, whether you need or want one for any reason. Because if you DON'T want one, you can always set it to neutral. The only thing affected would be the cost difference. But that doesn't mean the club would be bad for anyone, just the price.

I see what you're saying, and in that sense I agree with you They're no different from any other club on the market (Open, Neutral, Closed) and as they can be adjusted to fit anyone's game, then yes they're not bad for anyone. I should say they can be bad if not used properly, which just comes back to not being fit properly, which doesn't matter if its an adjustable club or not.

Having the correct weight, length and flex of a shaft far more beneficial to me than moving a weight or adjusting a collar but it took a fitting session with an adjustable driver and a wide variety of different shafts for me to reach this realization.

i recently bought a str8fit at a good price and honestly can't tell much difference when set at the extremes. I find i can pull hook or right block it pretty much at will...

I said for some, meaning its good for guys with repeating swings.

Otherwise, you have a lunkhead (good friend of mine just starting, around a 30 index) changing it after every swing on the range. Knowing his normal good shot I set it and took his wrench and told him to work on his swing. He started taking lessons and I gave the wrench to his teacher.

I think skill level really determinies how effective the adjustable club is...

Good for everyone? Not certain but voted "yes" because I don't know why they would be bad for anyone.

If you can afford to be fitted and upgrade on a frequent basis there is probably no need for adjustment but if it;s there what's the prob.

I'm surprised anyone would vote for any other option but the first one...

I'm a fan just for the ease of change... I can swap shafts whenever I want. It's so much more convenient.

I'm hoping that they are good. I have one arriving any day now. A R9 Super Tri. 9.5 degree with a regular shaft. Can't wait to start experimenting.

Well, I voted good for some, bad for others - I would say good for majority of people, bad for beginners with inconsistent swings.
Personally I have a driver that I can easily change shafts, but I was fitted when I got it, so never changed shafts. I would think majority of the people would find their ideal setting and keep it there even with adjustable drivers. Also, I believe the most important adjustable factor is the shaft - right flex and length. Unfortunately, you can change the shaft but not "adjust" the shaft. So if you include the ease of changing the shaft as part of definition of "adjustable" driver, then yes, I think it is very beneficial, if it is more about face angles or lofts, I think getting professionally fitted and getting lessons to swing well is far more important than tinkering with the driver settings and I believe you can learn to control the driver.

Not sure for anyone else but my current driver is my first adjustable driver and I am really enjoying it. And its not on neutral

i think they are bad for most for 3 main reasons

1. most amateurs dont understand the mechanics of both their swing and how there club is affecting their swing i.e. a slow swing speed verses a stiff shaft.

2. i may be wrong on this but i believe that buying a club preset to fade or draw the balls is only helping a bad habit. i would prefer to spend time with a pro getting lessons to correct my fault rather then getting a club to fix it

3. lets say your having a bad during a tourny be it slicing or hooking the ball and your wrench is in your bag, you decide to take it out to adjust the club to stop the slice or hook, how many of us know that you cant alter a club during a round as you can be immediately disqualified for this infringement.

I love my adjustable driver. Just my opinion.

Went back to a non adjustable because I was adjusting instead of fixing the mechanical problem. I do think it can help anyone from a scratch player to a 50 handicap as long as they understand how the club can help and/or hurt them.

I'd love to have one. Swapping shafts, fine tuning the trajectory, flight, etc... I can't find a down side here, unless people are going to be readjusting the thing at every teebox.

I'd love to have one. Swapping shafts, fine tuning the trajectory, flight, etc... I can't find a down side here, unless people are going to be readjusting the thing at every teebox.

how bad? lol

I think they are good for the majority of us amatuers but, not good for whole lot of us.

Adjustable woods are great. Irons have been adjustable for years by bending the loft and lie to fit a person’s natural swing and/or ordering from the manufacture. When I was fitted for irons, my Pro was able to run into his workshop, adjust the loft and lie and away I went. He was never able to do that with woods. Fitting carts have helped over the years but usually they use the same head with the same lie but with different shafts.

The majority of people that play the game are right handed with a fade / slice. For years, they have produced woods that help correct their swing flaws (slice) because most people slice. A player like me that draws / hooks the ball has a difficult time finding woods that fit properly because they dont product anti hook products like all of those anti slice products. Now there are products that are adjustable on the range to help correct the hook.

To reply to all of those that say, “Take lessons and change your swing”, I have taken lessons and my natural ball flight is a draw and 'It ain't changing'.

Now that adjustable woods are on the market, I can finally fit my swing with standard “off the shelf” products. :act-up:

My SRIXON Z-star is not here yet but, IT IS COMING!!!!!!

I'm doing good with my Z-rw so ,why would I change it? Precicely because it is adjustable and I never had one. OK, so maybe i've become a very, very little bit of a "hoe".
At some point drivers where pretty much all the same except for Tour/Pro series that were ± 2° open. Then, came the draw bias and now, you have the best of all worlds with the adjustables. Do I NEED one? That's irrelevent...I WANT one!!!
I had a dicussion with JB about the APP, I said that if I can't download it to my desktop PC, it's of no use to me.
Furthermore, unless I'm in the same spot on the driving range, what's the purpose of adjusting it for wind conditions? Isn't the wind coming from different directions on the course?
Is it good for everybody? I don't know. What I DO know is, it's a NEW TOY for ME!!!

i think they are bad for most for 3 main reasons

. . . i may be wrong on this but i believe that buying a club preset to fade or draw the balls is only helping a bad habit. i would prefer to spend time with a pro getting lessons to correct my fault rather then getting a club to fix it

This is actually a good reason to buy an adjustable club. Two years ago I had a slice, so I bought a draw biased driver and I straightened it out. Then I started hooking that driver, so I bought an adjustable driver. Started off slightly closed, and over the course of a year took lessons and practiced. Made incremental adjustments as my swing changed, and now I play it at the factory neutral setting.

Sure, maybe I would have had the same end result if I bought a neutral driver right off the bat. But instead of hitting somewhat straight much of the time while I fixed my swing, I'd have been miserable slicing my driver for a year.

I'm not a fan of adjusting the driver for a round based on my warmup, though. Several times I have closed the face because I sliced during warmups, but once I played a few holes and got my normal swing back, I'd be hooking them.

It is potentially good for everyone. It's great for me, getting to see all the options and try them out

I voted good for everyone. even if you don't use it now, your swing may change later on where you could use the adjustability factor.

Agreed.

Intentionally adjustable club - good.
Unintentionally adjustable swing - bad.

I'm not sure what the result of adding those 2 together may be. Still, my point is that the clubs themselves are good. The way they're applied to the task might be bad. But this isn't the fault of the club.

I think it is good for the simple fact that it almost makes those professional fittings null and void as long as you know what kind of shaft is best for you.

However, different clubheads are different for every swing.

For example, I usually use a stiff shaft but I wouldnt be suprised that with the new ultralite clevelands I used regular flex because the head is lighter.

I see adjustable clubs as a good thing if you cannot get properly fitted for your clubs. All pros have their clubs bent to certain angles so that it works for them. Since we do not have tour vans in our back yard we must rely on our own fitting sometimes with these adjustable clubs. I know many PGA players have drivers that are 1 or 2 degrees open, and until the last couple of years we did not have that option as consumers. Now with these adjustable clubs we can adjust the drivers to fit our swing. Personally I have played with a couple of adjustable clubs, the Nike STR8-Fit SQ Dymo, the Nike VR Str8-Fit 3-wood, and now the Taylormade R11 (I no longer have the Nike Dymo). Anyway, I have actually always left the club set on the neautral setting. With the R11 I have experimented with changing the 10g and 1g weights around on the head to change the COG on the clubhead, but I also like that I can now change the loft of the driver without changing the lie angle. I believe this is now possible on the Titleist drivers as well. On windy days I can still leave it on Neautral, but I can lower the loft if I want to make sure I keep the ball low. This is now cheating, this is also what PGA pros do depending on how the weather is on a certain day. Many of them carry a couple of different drivers or have them adjusted in the tour vans to certain lofts and angles depending on the course. So these adjustable drivers now give us as consumers the ability to it as well, though probably not to the extent that tour pro's do.

Everyone can benefit from this club feature. Some people just want a light club that they can grip and rip. But I think the technological might of an adjustable club will help any golfer. For years and still even today, people have been preaching , distance, distance, distance, but I think with highhandicappers like myself the preaching from the pulpit should be focusing on consistency which is what most of us lack. I think adjustable clubs can help in this much needed category.

Back