What's the best route for a junior golfer to pursue a dream of playing PGA someday?

Grant Wolf

Reaction score
Handicap
The title of this thread conveys my question simply enough. As a junior golfer I'm looking to pursue my dream of someday playing on the PGA. Any suggestions on tours to join, places to play, how to become eligible for the Nationwide Tour or Q-School?

How old are you?

I guess the first thing to do is get better, a 12 hdcp just won't cut it. Find a good coach.
I am not sure what you have to do to qualify for Q-School, but I think it is like 5 grand, so some cash is necessary.

Play in as many tournaments as you can. I suggest playing in big junior tournaments such as the US Junior Am, your junior state am, and play in AJGA tournaments. Then play college golf somewhere. It doesn't matter if you play D1 in college or not. After that you just play on whatever tour you can play on, being the Hooters Tour, Golden Bear, Tarheel, etc. When it comes to Q-School, you basically pay the $ and you can go. Good luck, I chased that dream for quite a while. Don't get discouraged and always, always, always work your butt off.

I'm 15. Yeah I agree. Getting better is priority numero UNO. I thnk im down to a 10 HCP, haven't had it registered in a while. Thanks for the opinion!

Where in the world are ya? Look up your section of the PGA and they will usually have a junior tour too. A JPGA. I am doing that this and future summers for my section. I also plan on going to college for Professional Golf Management. Other than that, I say play. I played 3 to 5 times a week all summer and I went from shooting 95 to 80 by the end of August. Good luck to you. I hope to drop my HCP and get better too. Hopefully about a 3 or 4 HCP by end of August this year.

Back