Feel vs. Mechanics

This surprises me as shouldn't you want more of an exact yardage when getting closer to the hole? I would think you would be more precise with your shorter clubs and wedges and would want to know if you are 100 yards out rather then say 90. Unless I'm chipping I'm checking yardage. I check it as I walk up to the ball so as to not take any more time then needed.

knowing exact yardages outside of 150 is more important to me because every shot is going to be a full shot(for me) im not doing any 1/2 3/4 shots from outside of that range
inside of 150 i tend to rely much more on feel depending on the shot i need to hit... i know im not pulling a hybrid/woods for the shot unless im punching out of the woods/trouble
inside of 150 is the short sticks and it all depends on the lie and the obstacles... should i bump it or fly it... keep it low or hit over something... 1/2 shot or 3/4 shot
for me the trick to my game is if i can get inside of the 150 i have a much better shot at hitting the green
so mechanics makes my long game work and feel gets my short game working

I think once your confident in your mechanics most shots are all about the feel. That's how I play at least. I think mechanics when I'm trying to hit stock shots. If I'm laying up in the middle of a fairway or playing it safe to the center or safe side of a green I think all mechanics.

imo if your solid on the basic mechanics of the swing and set up and good feel then your pre solid

Mechanics are important...but as a 12 handicapper with a standard deviation from 76 to 96, it's all about feel to me. When I am feeling "IT", which isn't as often as I want, I can go low. Maybe I do need better mechanics!

Interesting thread... I always felt that mechanics created feel. I know a lot of people that see themselves on video and realize they don't "feel" the bad things seen in their swing.

Back