R11 vs R9 Supertri: performance?

Grant Wolf

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm in the market for a new driver and I love TM. I currently play a Tour Burner 9.5, but want to upgrade to either the Supertri or r11. Which is the overall favorite in performance?

OOOHH.... Can't wait to see the response on this thread! I haven't hit either club yet. But am interested in find out what people who have hit them think! I'm sorry I can't contribute to this but I will be reading to learn!!

They are very different drivers. People look at the R11 as an upgrade to the SuperTri but in reality that is not the case. The R11 is an upgrade over the R9.

The R9 SuperTri is a high spin 460cc driver that is great for many players
The R11 is a low spin smaller head driver that is great for many players

I have the SuperTri since last year, before that I played the R7 SuperQuad, and the R5. I really like the SuperTri because of the adjustability of it. I believe I have it where I like it so far. However my problem with Taylormade Drivers are the shafts. I went and look at the R11 and while it looks pretty good in the white and black, I am not convinced yet that it is a better Driver. If you do a search on this forum, JB did an excellent review on the R9 SuperTri Driver. His reviews and my attending a demo day outside convinced me that the R9 SuperTri was worth upgrading along with Dick's Sporting good have a great sale at the time. I believe they are both good driver but the R11 is not 460cc and it makes wonder if they will be coming out with a 460cc versions in a few months. Well that is my 2 cents.

They are very different drivers. People look at the R11 as an upgrade to the SuperTri but in reality that is not the case. The R11 is an upgrade over the R9.

The R9 SuperTri is a high spin 460cc driver that is great for many players
The R11 is a low spin smaller head driver that is great for many players
Took the words right outa my mouth!!!! Your best bet is to go see your local Pga pro or Taylormade fitting centre and get fitted on a launch monitor. They will be able to assist you to find the perfect driver for your swing.

Thank you very much! That is very helpful.

I had a Supertri with RIP Alpha and it was a amazing combo that performed and felt great, i now have the R11 and its even better. To me the R11 looks, feels, sounds and performs better, the ability to adjust the face angle without affecting loft is just amazing. The R11 is a lower spin head compared to the Supertri which spun to much for me even with the RIP in it(RIP helped allot). R11 face feels hotter also, on the range i was carrying a tree that i usually hit about half way up with the Supertri so i have noticed some increase in carry. The black face with the white crown really does help in making sure you are lined up correctly. They are both great drivers and i could play either one but prefer the R11

Ok cool! I'll have to try out the R11. I've hit the Supertri, but notnthe R11.

Being an average at best golfer the R11 was not for me, with a very inconsistant swing the R11 didn't offer enough forgiveness for me. I compared it directly with my supertri and as didtance was equal when I could hit it solid when I didn't it was not near as good as my supertri for me. Best if you can do like everyone else says and try them for yourself, I am looking forward to trying the Z-star and comparing it to my supertri next.

I played the R9 Supertri until the R11 came out. I can tell you that I am 20 to 25 yards longer with the R11. Though I think it has more to do with an accompanying shaft change that came there. I think the driver heads themselves have a very similar feel, but the R11 is noticeably heavier than the Supertri. Ultimately, I agree that the R11 seems to be a bit more of a player's driver than the Supertri. But I think you won't be unhappy with either. If you are a high launch ball guy, the R9 can get just a bit ballonish at times. That was really the only complaint I ever had about it. Hope this Helps! happy hunting.

Hit the clubs with different shafts. Ignore the hype about adjustments, they are essentially the same for both clubs. The shaft is probably going to have the greatest impact on your effectiveness. Compare apples to apples, hit the same shaft in both heads. I love my SuperTri but it is 80% because of shaft and 20% the head.

The R11 is one club I want to try out this year.

Thank you JB....with all the zillion posts and threads out there on the R11 that is the first one I have seen that make an effort to put the club in a category that people could understand.

I love the R11 feel, but the sound kills me. The Supertri I've tried gave decent feel and nice sound. Ultimately, it's a preference thing. I'm sticking with my Superfast TP. I recommend it.

Good info! It may be best to just hit one after the other to make a decision...

Hi
I tried to upgrade to the R11, super-tri just kept winning. I love the look of the 11 but cannot try to become proficient on looks alone. I like the larger headsize on the ST and I think it sounds better. It can blow your ear drums after a solid day at the range. The R11 sounds a little muted with less of that tink (some people love this). If 10 yards is worth the extra bill or shaft, then go with the R11. Best to do what everyone says and go check em out though.

This is very good to know. Lots of people have told me that the shaft is the most important thing, and I agree. Thanks for the great advice!

i hit the supertri and r11 into a net and the supertri felt better and sounded better IMO

This is very good to know. Lots of people have told me that the shaft is the most important thing, and I agree. Thanks for the great advice!

The shaft is very important, but really what's important is finding both a head and combo that work for you. The R9 with my shaft is a very different driver than the SuperTri with the same shaft. It really depends on what sort of characteristics you are looking for.

i hit the supertri and r11 into a net and the supertri felt better and sounded better IMO

I had the same experiance. I hit both of them on a monitor and i likes the Supertri better every time. I was not big on the R11. but that was just one night. I would love to get them at the range for a real test.

I had my first issue with TOO MUCH spin with my SuperTri over the weekend. I have been experimenting with some setup changes over the past week (Thank you to GolfTec for that). I was hitting my driver square and solid. The ball was ballooning on me. I was losing a ton of rollout and distance. I think next year I may need to make a change.

I tried to play with weights a bit this weekend, but it didn't quite work out for me. I only had the 1g's and two 16 gram weights and I tried to put another 16 gram on the SuperTri. I moved them both to the outside and put a 1g in the center. Ummmm, no. That didn't work. It was like swinging a battle ax hahaha.

I tried to play with weights a bit this weekend, but it didn't quite work out for me. I only had the 1g's and two 16 gram weights and I tried to put another 16 gram on the SuperTri. I moved them both to the outside and put a 1g in the center. Ummmm, no. That didn't work. It was like swinging a battle ax hahaha.

Haha how did you manage to get multiple 16g weights?

I think that the R11 has a weird feel and sound to it...I couldn't get past it when I was looking at clubs because even though I was hitting it great but I kept checking the face because I would think it was cracked. I love the SuperTri though I am glad I picked one up...Putting my C Kua into it tomorrow so I think I might love it even more then.

Back