Mizuno JPX-800 Pros vs MP-53s

bobgeorge

Kentucky Wildcat Fan!
Reaction score
Handicap
I currently game Mizuno JPX-800s but recently I have been hitting my irons better & was BSing around in the local Golf Galaxy & I hit some JPX-800 Pros & MP-53s.

I know Mizuno says that MP-53s are for better players but didn't really notice much difference in forgiveness. I hit both clubs equally well on the simulator and the guy their said I could probably game either set.

One think I did notice is that the MP-53s were heavier. When I asked the guy he said that was because the JPX-800 Pros have weight removed from the middle which makes them easier to hit.

For every that have hit both, do you notice any difference in forgiveness? What were the key points on why you bought the set you did?

Is there something wrong with your 800s? Why the change other than just for the sake of change?

I have hit both and have all 3 sets here. The Pros are far more forgiving to me than the 53s and the 800s are more forgiving than the Pros.

Which specific club from each set did you hit? Did you try hitting the MP53 3 or 4 irons? Did you swing the 5 irons? I bet you will notice some differences in forgiveness with those longer irons.

did you get fit for your custom set? Will you get fit if you decide to upgrade? Buying the upgraded clubs off the rack might actually hurt your game if you are using a custom set now

Which specific club from each set did you hit? Did you try hitting the MP53 3 or 4 irons? Did you swing the 5 irons? I bet you will notice some differences in forgiveness with those longer irons.

I hit the 6 iron in each club. I only use a 6-PW since I have a 3-5 hybrid that I use. My guess would be the higher lofted club you have the less difference you can tell in clubs.

did you get fit for your custom set? Will you get fit if you decide to upgrade? Buying the upgraded clubs off the rack might actually hurt your game if you are using a custom set now

I got the the JPX-800s online & I got a static fitting. I have the Dynalite Gold XP S300 shafts soft-stepped.

Is there something wrong with your 800s? Why the change other than just for the sake of change?

You are right..but I am a Gemini so I think I just like change :}

I've hit both the pros and 53's and ended up with the pros. I thought the pro's were much more forgiving and felt great.

I've hit both the pros and 53's and ended up with the pros. I thought the pro's were much more forgiving and felt great.

Did you notice the MP-53s were heavier?

You are right..but I am a Gemini so I think I just like change :}

You don't have to make up a rationalization. If you want a new set of irons just buy them. But I am not sure you really need to. What is wrong with your 800's? Do you really want to sacrafice forgiveness for workability? Do you really need a pro line of irons.

You don't have to make up a rationalization. If you want a new set of irons just buy them. But I am not sure you really need to. What is wrong with your 800's? Do you really want to sacrafice forgiveness for workability? Do you really need a pro line of irons.

True, I initially wanted the JPX-800 pros but bought the non-pros. You are right in that I never really work the ball anyway but I sure need forgiveness :}

btw...the beer handicap is funny.

I hit both the pros and non pro. I could not tell much difference in those two but I'm sure the pros are less forgiving
I can not understand why you would want to go to a less forgiving club unless you just like to hit more chips shots from off the green :banghead::banghead:

If you do not work the ball I'd stay with what you have
If you just want new clubs
Send me your jpx800 and I'll send you my sons mx200
:D

Last edited:
Charles Howell III games the 800 Pros - I'd get em if I could, but they don't make them LH (They only make the 800 in LH). For this reason I'm going to get fitted for the MP-53's this spring.

I have hit both and have all 3 sets here. The Pros are far more forgiving to me than the 53s and the 800s are more forgiving than the Pros.

JB & all: Besides workability what advantage is there to having forged irons?

JB & all: Besides workability what advantage is there to having forged irons?

Forged irons has nothing to do with workability. "forged" is merely the process in which the irons are made. Some will say forged irons are softer (again that has nothing to do with the word forged and everything to do with the metal used), but in the end, it is merely a process.

If you are asking the advantage of having smaller club heads with less perimeter weighting and less offset, then yes, the workability would be the biggest advantage, with forgiveness (lack of) being the biggest disadvantage.

Forged irons has nothing to do with workability. "forged" is merely the process in which the irons are made. Some will say forged irons are softer (again that has nothing to do with the word forged and everything to do with the metal used), but in the end, it is merely a process.

If you are asking the advantage of having smaller club heads with less perimeter weighting and less offset, then yes, the workability would be the biggest advantage, with forgiveness (lack of) being the biggest disadvantage.

Forged is a process but it is also a better process when struck correctly. You don't see many touring pro's play game improvement irons. Reason is when struck well they perform great spin trajectory angle into green but most of all the forge is a feel. You can feel the mishits and the good strikes giving one more feedback and confidence. Granted this isn't for everyone but they sure are nice when played well.

JB is right another big advantage is workability draw fade and flighting. Many of us can't do this well with our cavity backs and offset heads as we're essentially working against what the club is to do. Get ball up and draw. I'm play RAC lt's so trying to play a fade is very hard. I'm looking at getting clubs now and hopefully arrive this week. The r9 tp b's but looking at the razr x forge and jpx 800 pro's if r9's don't work out. Loved the razr's on range but already had r9's coming:(

The JPX-800s are way, way, waaaaaaaaay more forgiving and will give you more height on your shots than will the MP-53s. 53s are great clubs, if you have the swing to hit them well, which most people dont have.

Forged is a process but it is also a better process when struck correctly. You don't see many touring pro's play game improvement irons. Reason is when struck well they perform great spin trajectory angle into green but most of all the forge is a feel. You can feel the mishits and the good strikes giving one more feedback and confidence. Granted this isn't for everyone but they sure are nice when played well.

I could not disagree more with this above.

The JPX-800s are way, way, waaaaaaaaay more forgiving and will give you more height on your shots than will the MP-53s. 53s are great clubs, if you have the swing to hit them well, which most people dont have.

he was asking about the 800 Pros not the regular 800's so they may only be "way, way" not "way, way waaaaaaaaay" more forgiving...

I could not disagree more with this above.

So you're saying cast is a better process than a forge club? So most pros low handicappers play game improvement cavity backed clubs? There is definitely some graying lines now with technology able to forge a club with some cavity back giving larger sweet spot. Good golfers want to have that feel constantly and be able to hit that sweet spot consistently which is hard to do with cavity's lack of feel in general. Give me the top 5 cavity clubs that compare to performance of top 5 forge clubs in terms of workability, playability, and distance. Granted many cavity's are longer than forge clubs as the softer metal can take some off the distance but you lose significant ability to work the ball and flight it especially with advancements in shafts.

I firmly believe you get tremendous amount more feedback with forged clubs than cavity. I still firmly believe better players will gain tremendous benefit from from forged clubs than traditional cavity backs. You have to be able to work the ball while feeling your shots.

So you're saying cast is a better process than a forge club? So most pros low handicappers play game improvement cavity backed clubs? There is definitely some graying lines now with technology able to forge a club with some cavity back giving larger sweet spot. Good golfers want to have that feel constantly and be able to hit that sweet spot consistently which is hard to do with cavity's lack of feel in general. Give me the top 5 cavity clubs that compare to performance of top 5 forge clubs in terms of workability, playability, and distance. Granted many cavity's are longer than forge clubs as the softer metal can take some off the distance but you lose significant ability to work the ball and flight it especially with advancements in shafts.

I firmly believe you get tremendous amount more feedback with forged clubs than cavity. I still firmly believe better players will gain tremendous benefit from from forged clubs than traditional cavity backs. You have to be able to work the ball while feeling your shots.

Where did I say casting was a better process?

You keep talking about performance, let me ask you this....If you think that all these great feel and performance is based on how the club is made, then why do more of these tour pros you keep referring to play cast clubs in the clubs that need the most feel???? WEDGES!

Two thirds of all the wedges used on tour are cast. You seem to be very confused on comparing forged vs cavity. One is a type of club, one is a process on how a club is made.
The #1 player in the world plays cast clubs....Does that mean he does not get proper feedback?
More touring pros play cast clubs in their wedges than forged clubs. These are the type of clubs that more feel shots are played than any other.
You seem to believe that soft metal means forged and it does not. Soft metal means soft metal....Whether it is cast or forged.

And lastly....If forged clubs give you the ultimate in feel, why do you use cast wedges?

JB is right another big advantage is workability draw fade and flighting. Many of us can't do this well with our cavity backs and offset heads as we're essentially working against what the club is to do. Get ball up and draw. I'm play RAC lt's so trying to play a fade is very hard. I'm looking at getting clubs now and hopefully arrive this week. The r9 tp b's but looking at the razr x forge and jpx 800 pro's if r9's don't work out. Loved the razr's on range but already had r9's coming:(

I'm sorry but what?! How does more feedback give more confidence? I have the biggest shovels you can hit and I get more feedback than just about any other club I've ever hit. Not really sure what you mean by saying when they are struck well they perform great spin trajectory into green. Are you talking about the forging process when you say that?

Man, I have never seen this argument before.

I believe Hoeflich said (correct me otherwise, please) That if he gave you identical clubs, save for one was forged and one was cast, you would not be able to discern any difference. Nobody can. Forged, IMO, is more about prestige than anything. The greatest irons of old were forged. Forged clubs also tend to use softer metals, and due to limitations in the process, forged clubs tend to be players clubs with small or nonexistent cavities, but to say that two clubs made differently but of the same metal can be separated in terms of feel is preposterous.

Forged clubs also tend to use softer metals, and due to limitations in the process, forged clubs tend to be players clubs with small or nonexistent cavities

Haha! Wrong my friend...well, kinda. Yes they do tend to be but Z-Stars are forged with pretty substantial cavities and I'm sure many will follow suit. Although just a couple / few years ago yes they were a bit limited in what they could do. They were usually players clubs because as you said of their limitations. Mostly in increasing COR, perimeter weighting, and making a good cavity. Because most forgings are more geared towards "players"*** people automatically associate that with being better. If players*** play them then they have to be better, right!?!?!?

***I hate the word players in golf. I suck, but damnit I'm a player. I PLAY the game don't I?

Serious golfers use Tapatalk.

Back