Is Working the Ball Important?

this questions seems to sway with what stage of amateur a person is. For a 0-5 handicap will see the ideal ball flight differently than a 16 handicap.

1. Do you try and work the ball left and right around the course? Not at all. I just try to hit the ball where I am aimed and try to stay consistent in my shot.
2. Is there a reason for you to do so (course shape) or just prefer it? For me I am happy if I can produce the same shape with every swing then I know how to play it.
3. Why not just play your natural shot shape or a straight ball? This is what I try but it does not always happen. Example hitting a fade so I am left and hit a draw.
4. Do you believe to be a good amateur player you must be able to work the ball all ways? No if you can hit the ball where you are aimed or produce the same shape every time then you will be successful.

I have heard somewhere that about 90% of the golfers in the world can't shoot below 90. That leaves only 10% to shoot below a 90. I also read that only 2% of golfers have ever or will ever shoot a 75 or below. So to me the "Average" golfer is someone who shoots between a 90-100. At that skill level, I would suggest that golfer to find one shot that they can hit consistent and stick with it. If your shooting that score, most likely it is not so much your shot shaping as much as short game.

1. Do you try and work the ball left and right around the course? I typically stick with my normal shot shape (slight right to left) unless the course layout or pin position dictates otherwise. With that said, to hit a fade the way I want to, I must have practiced it on the range prior to the round. I am more confortable working the ball with my irons than with the driver. Thus, on a dogleg right, I often will just club down so that I don't hit through the fairway, rather than trying to hit the approproate amout of fade with the driver.
2. Is there a reason for you to do so (course shape) or just prefer it? It is almost always dictated by course layout; not preference. Another reason may be the wind. Sometimes I will try to hit the fade (rather than the usual slight draw) in certain wind conditions.
3. Why not just play your natural shot shape or a straight ball? I often stick with my natural shot shape. I would estimate that in a typical round, I deviate from my typical shot shape around 3-5 times (other than hitting knock-downs, etc).
4. Do you believe to be a good amateur player you must be able to work the ball all ways? No.

I think it depends on how good of a player you would like to be. If you can take the time at the range and learn how to work shots and control the trajectory your game will improve. If you have only one shape and one trajectory you're going to really struggle in the wind. Also, if you're playing tough courses with firm, fast, undulating greens and tough pins the person with one shot is going to have a very tough time holding the greens and putting themselves in the right putting positions. If you would just like to break 100 and enjoy your round I'd say having one shot is the way to go. You'll never have to worry about what shot to hit or where you would rather miss, all you need to do is hit it and have fun. I started playing golf four years ago because a buddy of mine who is a +3 took me out there and ever since that day I've been hooked trying to reach his level and learn how to hit every shot.

1. Do you try and work the ball left and right around the course?
Yes
2. Is there a reason for you to do so (course shape) or just prefer it?
Course shape, wind, obstacle, pin position, eliminate a side
3. Why not just play your natural shot shape or a straight ball?
I try to visualize the shot needed for the hole. If it's a straight ball I'll try hit it.
4. Do you believe to be a good amateur player you must be able to work the ball all ways?
If a good amateur is a single-digit handicapper I'd say yes.

Not at this point in time.
My course doesn't require working the ball much if one can use distance control.
I do, natural fade
4. Do you believe to be a good amateur player you must be able to work the ball all ways?
Not necessarily, working the ball doesn't guarantee a good score.
I have witnessed some pretty good scores from guys who just hop the ball down the fairway. Not very dramatic but I was amazed at the fairways hit, and gir's that these guys carded.

I think it depends on how good of a player you would like to be. If you can take the time at the range and learn how to work shots and control the trajectory your game will improve. If you have only one shape and one trajectory you're going to really struggle in the wind. Also, if you're playing tough courses with firm, fast, undulating greens and tough pins the person with one shot is going to have a very tough time holding the greens and putting themselves in the right putting positions. If you would just like to break 100 and enjoy your round I'd say having one shot is the way to go. You'll never have to worry about what shot to hit or where you would rather miss, all you need to do is hit it and have fun. I started playing golf four years ago because a buddy of mine who is a +3 took me out there and ever since that day I've been hooked trying to reach his level and learn how to hit every shot.

Yes
Course shape, wind, obstacle, pin position, eliminate a side
I try to visualize the shot needed for the hole. If it's a straight ball I'll try hit it.
If a good amateur is a single-digit handicapper I'd say yes.

Do you think they would struggle by not being able to hold a fade/draw against or with the wind? I think that if you can hit a ball straight it is more of playing the wind, elevation, pin placement, etc? With that being said, I prefer to shape shots.

I think the rabid amateur golfer puts to much emphasis on trying to turn the ball left/right. The beauty of golf is that it's a sport anyone can play. Most of us get our inspiration from watching the pros and wanting to try and do what they do, and that's the curse. I think also, that as our games progress our "natural" shot changes. My natural shot two years ago was anywhere from a pretty big fade to a nasty banana slice. When I started working on my swing I was able to turn that into a nice little draw most of the time. I'm scared to death when I hit the ball left to right because it means that awful slice is on it's way back.

Like most I only try to turn the ball when I have to. But it feels pretty cool when I manage it! I need to learn more about the swing, and incorporate more height changes. Perhaps some day I'll work on turning the ball intentionally, but until then I'd be happy to know I can rely on 'A' shot!

I think it would be very valuable to be able to work the ball consistently. Right now all I'm "working on" besides a straight shot is a lower shot and a fade. I always lay up on doglegs.

I had a long conversation yesterday with a teaching professional and we spoke at length about the prospect of amateur golfers and the state of their games. One topic that was really interesting to me was working the ball as amateurs and should amateur golfers be focused on that. I had the digital recorder going, so at some point I want to put this into audio format but it was interesting to say the least. Here are some points that this individual made (in no particular order). Keep in mind that when he is referring to amateur golfers, he is speaking in terms of a generalization.

Amateur golfers seem to believe that a draw is better than a fade and while it can be true (just like anything) it is not a hard and fast rule and many should not be 100% focused on that.

Most amateur golfers should concentrate more on hitting their clubs straighter rather than trying to hard to play left and right and vice versa.

Trying to play cuts and draws off the tee and with approach shots when they are not all that necessary is something that golfers of all skill levels suffer from.

Choosing clubs based on workability for many amateur golfers seems excessive since most should concentrate on other factors and a good ball striker can work most clubs including the largest iron heads.

Again these someone elses thoughts and not my own and while I share some of the same thoughts, I want to reiterate that these are not my words.

With this being said, do you agree? Here are some other questions I would love to see answers to.

I think its a fun topic that brings in some different ideas and elements. I can see both sides here, but often wonder myself if amateur golfers spend too much time hitting different shots when a straight ball to the middle of the green would be a far "better" alternative (in terms of scoring).

1) I tend to try and work the ball off the tee more then from the fairway. But my main focus(90% of the time) is on hitting a straight shot

2) For me the main reason I work the ball off the tee box is just the shape of the hole. I am comfortable drawing the ball with the driver and 3wood so if the shot looks right to my eye I will try and draw it. Anywhere else(off of the teebox) I mainly draw or fade shots only if I have to

3) I do play a straight shot most times. I think maybe 5 times a round I will try and work the ball

4) I do think that an amateur should be able to hit a draw or fade but I think that if you can hit the ball straight you can be a very good golfer.

My natural shot shape is a slight draw to larger draw that can turn into a hook if I make a bad swing. Hitting a fade is darn near impossible fo rme and I only even attempt it if absolutely necessary due to a true or having to hold something up into a right-to-left wind to keep the draw from diving left with the breeze. Aside from that I just play my natural shot shape and leave it alone. When I do attempt a fade I often only end up with a shot that goes higher and straight, no fade at all, that doesn't travel as far - hardly useful if a true fade is necessary.

I think most ams should just go with what they can do and forget the rest. Play more within themselves and stop trying to be Bubba Watson.

Doesnt Gray work his balls in the warmup before winter golf?

...Glad the outing is in may...

No doubt,,, it really works better if you keep your balls warm :thumb:

I pretty much play a straight shot that will tend to fade or draw a little day to day.

I make sure to practice shaping shots at the driving range for maybe 20% of the balls I hit, but I see little need to do so on the course unless I really need to get around something.

The only holes I really see a need to shape a shot though, are ones with obstructions in the middle of the fairway (I've seen some with a tree in the middle like 150 yards out....), or if it's a long dogleg with the dogleg starting very early on.

If the dogleg is sufficiently back (assuming you're playing from the proper tees), then there's really no reason. Most cases it just becomes a long iron to the dogleg and maybe a mid/low iron to the green anyways.

Golf is hard enough as it is that I like the KISS thought process when I'm playing.

Also, going back to JB's comment, I really haven't seen an iron I couldn't shape. The most forgiving clubs I've played was probably the last generation of Taylormade CGB's, but even those were easy to move. Drivers on the other hand are different for me. I can still shape both directions, but I'm prone to over-shaping them and every now and then it's dead freaking straight when I don't want it to be. I try to avoid shaping drives if I could avoid it.

it all depends on whats in front of me... sometimes yes sometimes no
ive been in spots were the choice is to hit a shot 20yrd onto the fw then have to pull a 4w to get it anywhere near the green or hook a shot 120yrds and hit an actual iron onto the green... i play courses where there are tons of trees and shaping shots is very helpful
i dont really have a natural shot shape i can hook/slice as easily as i can hit it straight
i think straight is excellent but if thats the only shot a player has then in some instances it might not be good enough

hooks and slices have gotten me out of some tough spots... but then again... hooks and slices have gotten me into bad spots hahah

For most people, I don't think it matters that much to shape it. Unless you are very good, you shouldn't bother with it. Most people should try to get there shots straight, instead of getting one perfect draw and 20 hooks one round.

1. Do you try and work the ball left and right around the course? No. usually hitting it straight. I do play whatever my shot is that day.
2. Is there a reason for you to do so (course shape) or just prefer it? I would say the course shape.
3. Why not just play your natural shot shape or a straight ball? Most of the time I do my natural shot shape for that day or week, even though I am trying to hit it straight.
4. Do you believe to be a good amateur player you must be able to work the ball all ways? No, only if you are a low handicap player maybe you will need to as you play more challenging courses.

1. Yes and my score most certainly suffers because of it.
2. I think I am as good as I was 10 years ago.
3. Good question, I probably should.
4. No, I believe to be a good amateur golfer you need a good short game.

Not so much around the course. Off the tee, I'm trying to hit it straight. Sometimes my natural shot shape is a fade but I don't try to hit draws with the driver. I do try to hit draws with irons. I'm not sure why, but it seems like it helps me stay on plane better and just feels right.

I guess I jumped ahead and answered this in question 1, but a draw sort of just feels right with the irons and it seems to help me stay on plane. Sort of like the "hit it to right field" drill that Andy has discussed before I think. When you stay on plane by aiming to right field, you almost have to get that wrist turnover to help you hit a nice little draw. That just feels good with the irons. And I wouldn't say course shape, but where the flag is placed can play a role in draw or fade selection.

I do when it is the better play.

I don't think you HAVE to. But I think it helps. Like I said, I think hitting a draw can help you learn to stay on plane if you do it right. My natural shot shape is a fade so that's already an option, but the draw is nice to have in the bag.

4. Do you believe to be a good amateur player you must be able to work the ball all ways

1.unless i have a very basic shot i usually try and shape my shot
3.i hit a draw so shaping the shot for me is hitting it strait or a fade so sometimes if i need to stop the ball faster or a harder pin then i have to shape my shot
4. i think it helps to but its not needed. my coach almost always tries to hit it as strait as possible

When I first started out playing golf I had a pretty bad slice. I am a lefty so the ball would go left almost everytime i hit it. After I started getting better I was able to just start hitting my shots straight. The occasional left miss would shows its face but for the most part on the range and the course I would hit the ball straight. Now I am at the level where my natural shot is a draw (left to right). Whatever club I hit it is usually a draw. However, I like to work the ball both ways and can cut and draw the ball on demand. I try not to cut the ball unless I absolutely have to, but it is still there. The draw is my favorite shot shape and is thus now my "stock" shot. Unless its a hard dogleg left I am hitting the draw.

1. Not unless there is a tree or something in the way.
4. I think an amateur player who can hit the ball straight will have a tendancy to improve at a faster rate.

Is working the ball important? I think it is important to have an understanding of how to hit a cut or draw.

1. Do you try and work the ball left and right around the course? Only when necessary.
2. Is there a reason for you to do so (course shape) or just prefer it? Usually because of obstacles or because I want my miss to be on one side or the other of a particular green.
3. Why not just play your natural shot shape or a straight ball? That's my preference, I just don't always leave myself that choice.
4. Do you believe to be a good amateur player you must be able to work the ball all ways? To be good, yes. To be an okay player, maybe not as much.

I'd love to be able to go against my natural shot type, but the risk always pushes me to overcompensate.

I think it would be great to be able to shape shots but only after the fact that you hit the ball consistently, otherwise you will not be able to figure out what yo did right/wrong. Hold your finish at the end too!

Back