JPX-800s vs R9s vs X-24s vs TM 2.0s

bobgeorge

Kentucky Wildcat Fan!
Reaction score
Handicap
I have had a set of JPX-800s since mid-January & played 6-7 rounds with them so far. I think they have a nice feel, excellent distance, & good profile.

But for people that have hit similar irons, how would you say they compare?

I've hit everything you have listed except for the 24's. They are all uniquely different to me. The 2.0's are the longest out of the crowd, the R9's felt the best to me (they just feel so nice a soft, almost a plushness to them at impact), and I loved the turf interaction I got with the 800's.

If I had to choose just one set, I am not so sure that I could. I do love the 2.0's though. I love a lot of aspects about them, and I feel like I'm finally getting proficient with them. I'd be extremely happy with any of the 3 to be honest.

Like TC, the only one's listed here that I've not hit are the 24's. He can also tell you how much I loved those JPX-800 irons, lol. The 2.0's were very nice, but they had a way of feeling too long for me, like the shafts just didn't fit, so I really can't say if I would have liked them a lot more after a fitting but guessing so. The R9s were as sweet feeling as they get, but my stats were all over the place, as were my golf balls on the course.

Like TC, the only one's listed here that I've not hit are the 24's. He can also tell you how much I loved those JPX-800 irons, lol. The 2.0's were very nice, but they had a way of feeling too long for me, like the shafts just didn't fit, so I really can't say if I would have liked them a lot more after a fitting but guessing so. The R9s were as sweet feeling as they get, but my stats were all over the place, as were my golf balls on the course.

I wasn't too fond of the 800's at PGA National but that may have been due to the fact we were hitting into that wind, but when I went to THP HQ for Hanks' Putter Roundup, I spent a ton of time on the range with the 800 and really did enjoy hitting them. I'd own a set in a minute.

I wasn't too fond of the 800's at PGA National but that may have been due to the fact we were hitting into that wind, but when I went to THP HQ for Hanks' Putter Roundup, I spent a ton of time on the range with the 800 and really did enjoy hitting them. I'd own a set in a minute.

You were just hitting those 2.0s so well nothing could compare, lol. The 880's were the set I talked about doing a trade for. They were the only set that I tried during the outing that really penetrated the wind, yet I can't say they had a low trajectory. When you handed me one to swing I remember thinking, yuk, haha. I wanted to like the TM only.

I've yet to really hit the JPX800's, but I'd rank the other 3 like this:

Burner 2.0
X-24
Every other iron ever made
R9

I've yet to really hit the JPX800's, but I'd rank the other 3 like this:

Burner 2.0
X-24
Every other iron ever made
R9

Wow, not much love for the R9's. Not trying to put you on the spot, but what didn't you like about them?

I play with r7's. Can't wait to get my new ones.

I've hit all of these and all of them are good irons. One could definitely make the case to put either one of these sets in their bag and be happy with them.

The 800's are definitely nice irons with some nice feel and balance to them, the R9's weren't very consistent for me and weren't very forgiving, the 24's are long, forgiving, and are a solid iron, the 2.0's didn't agree with me and I just never was able to get comfortable with them

just my thoughts alone, though

I have hit the X24's, R9 and 2.0's. Really like them all. All great game improvement irons. I hit the R9 and X24 head to head and if you look at my signature, I chose the R9. These irons feel so good to me, and I hit them long, straight, and high. I really liked the X24, but could get a better price on the R9. The 2.0's were not out when I bought my R9's, but have since hit them. Very nice irons. I would still choose the R9, but the 2.0's are sick. Really long. 5 to 10 yards longer than my R9's. If you need length, the 2.0's would probably be the best. My ratings,

1. R9
2. 2.0
3. X24

Havent hit the 800's

Hit everyone of those while searching for next set at the end of last year.

The R9 was so far over my head I couldn't see the horizon.

Did not like the feel of the 24 during transition, I did try several shaft options, and the reviews on the finish wear were not that good. To me that club was a quick release to attempt to keep pace with burner.

The 2.0 is a fantastic iron. I loved everything about it except one thing. It is longer but the dispersion, both distance and side to side was a tad wider than the 800. I like the finish and the overall clean look of them.

I went with 800's in the end. SLIGHTLY shorter than the 2.0 but not as punishing side to side. Feel a little better to me which is totally subjective. The gap wedge blows away the 2.0 attack wedge around the greens. Again the set has clean lines and is a sexy set of clubs. It performed better to me over the period of a month when I was trying out everything I could get my hands on.

Try everything and buy the right thing.

insert witty sig line here. Tapatalk

did anyone here consider the 800 pro version?

TC, would you mind doing a quick compare/contrast on the 2.0s and the 800s based on your experience?

TC, would you mind doing a quick compare/contrast on the 2.0s and the 800s based on your experience?

They were just different beasts to me. The 800s I demo'd had the stock s300 shaft and of course, the 2.0's have the stock, stiff 86g shafts. I can much easier feel the clubhead on the 2.0's throughout my swing. The 2.0's offered me a bit more distance, but not a whole ton, maybe 5-10 yards, and the 2.0's flew a little higher for me. I like looking down at both of them for their own reasons. I love the progressive offset in the 2.0's and I love the two tone'd finish, you can really frame the golf ball well with them. However, the 800's are sharp to look at as well. I feel like the leading edge on the 800s are a bit sharper which is nice when it comes to turf interaction. I guess I would say that I like the 800s at impact, but I prefer the results from the 2.0's. I'd gladly play both of them.

did anyone here consider the 800 pro version?

I am still considering the 800 Pros, but that opens a whole new can of worms. Because I have heard more than one review or person say just jump to the MP52s instead of the JPX-Pros since the level of forgiveness is not much different. Being a 17 handicap I don't want to buy a set of irons that would make the game more frustrating. I only play the 6-PW irons anyway since I have 3-5 hybrids I use.

My guess would be the level of forgiveness gets more similar the more lofted the club is. For example a JPX-Pro vs MP52 6 iron would have a wider range of forgiveness when compared to similar model PW.

Hit everyone of those while searching for next set at the end of last year.

The R9 was so far over my head I couldn't see the horizon.

SW FLA: What do you mean over your head?

Wow, not much love for the R9's. Not trying to put you on the spot, but what didn't you like about them?

They felt terrible, are ugly, and were one of the hardest to consistently hit that I've ever tried. I don't know if I hit a single shot with them in my 15 or so swings that made me think I hit the sweet spot... mostly because I'm not convinced there is one. My launch monitor numbers on them were horrid as well. I couldn't get them elevated to save my life.

They felt terrible, are ugly, and were one of the hardest to consistently hit that I've ever tried. I don't know if I hit a single shot with them in my 15 or so swings that made me think I hit the sweet spot... mostly because I'm not convinced there is one. My launch monitor numbers on them were horrid as well. I couldn't get them elevated to save my life.

Wow, totally different than every person we put on the monitor with them (we put 40). Interesting

So you can't hit R9's or Burner 2.0 irons?

Perhaps you don't have a decent golf swing or repeatable swing?

I completely disagree with everything you said about the R9's.

How fascinating.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

Wow, totally different than every person we put on the monitor with them (we put 40). Interesting

I am one of the lowest hitters I know. Super sweeper. I need a fairly low center of gravity or a high launch shaft to get things moving. The R9's I hit had Dynamic Gold S300's in them. Just a bad combination for me. To be fair I didn't really hit the X-24's well either, but at least they felt ok. The Burner 2.0's are working for me all the way around.

That's interesting. I put them up against the mx200's last year. The r9's felt less responsive - more game improvement. Crisp shots didn't have that buttery smooth feeling, but they were still great to swing. I'm sorry the r9's didn't work out for you!

Tap before talk.

So you can't hit R9's or Burner 2.0 irons?

Perhaps you don't have a decent golf swing or repeatable swing?

I completely disagree with everything you said about the R9's.

How fascinating.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

How fascinating indeed. Different people have different opinions. It's insane.

I hit the 2.0's just fine except for the 9 iron and PW.

I am one of the lowest hitters I know. Super sweeper. I need a fairly low center of gravity or a high launch shaft to get things moving. The R9's I hit had Dynamic Gold S300's in them. Just a bad combination for me. To be fair I didn't really hit the X-24's well either, but at least they felt ok. The Burner 2.0's are working for me all the way around.

Custom set?

Im not knocking you at all. It happens to all of us with some sets. Im just shocked as a sweeper you found the X-24s better feeling than the R9s and that as a low ball hitter you chose to hit them and base your opinion on them as a set with a set of shafts that did not come stock and launch considerably lower than the shafts that they come with. Again, just different strokes for different folks.

Back