Most forgiving FORGED....Titleist ap2's, Bridgestone j38dpc's, or Cobra s2's?

msdamailman

Reaction score
Handicap
Building a second set and need some advice on irons. I already own a blended set of Mizuno jpx 800 pros and mp 53's thats why they were not included. Looking for most forgiving in terms of offset, blade length, and feel. I have narrowed it down to these three sets. Would love to hear some opinions from fellow hackers out there. J38 dpc's and S2's not available to demo in my area but i have every intention of hitting the ap2's very soon . How would you rank them in terms of most forgiving to least? Thanks!

I haven`t hit them but I think most will agree the TaylorMade CB`s are probably the most fogiving forged irons.

Can't comment on the B-Stones or the Cobras but I hit the AP2s a while back when my swing was still really sketchy and they were still pretty easy to hit even then. Haven't hit them since I've made a lot of improvement though.

Many questions to ask.

1. Are you looking for players irons or forged irons? Because one can be a players iron and not forged (which is just a process to make a club).
2. Not sure what forgiveness means in "terms of offset"? This would be completely dependent on the golfer and their swing. One person can get assistance with offset via ball flight and someone else might need onset.
3. Is there a reason as a bogey golfer you are limiting yourself to irons that are limited in terms of forgiveness? I mean no disrespect by it, just very curious.

Most forgiving forged I've hit has been the Mizuno MX-200. Fantastic iron

Check out the TM CB testing thread ... testers are finding plenty of forgiveness. I've also read some good things about the srixon z star forged irons.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I haven`t hit them but I think most will agree the TaylorMade CB`s are probably the most fogiving forged irons.

I haven't hit them yet, But I assume you have to throw these into your suggested list as well. They look Amazeballs! I also think the Callaway Diablo Forged irons would be right up your alley too.

I thought that the Adams CB1s were really forgiving. Otherwise I really love the Diablo Forged. But as far as forgiveness and perfomance go, I thing it's pretty hard to beat the Burner 2.0s. Why do they have to be forged?

I think that JB ask a lot of really good questions (go figure, right?).

What is your miss and what are you looking for in terms of forgiveness? How important is "distance" to you?

My personal opinion would be to try some of the more forgiving irons (Burner 2.0, X-24, CG16) if you are really looking to lower your handicap and improve. "Feel" is very subjective and I find that shooting better scores ALWAYS makes my clubs feel better :alien:

One other quick question: If forgiveness is a big concern, why did you go with a spilt set. I would have thought that a full set of JPX-Pro would be more forgiving than a split set.

Haven't hit the others, but I spent a good deal of time swinging the Cobra S2 Forged irons... I was hitting them so long and so well that I almost made the purchase. I mean surprisingly long, as I guess I figured that "forged = distance loss" (with good swings, these were going farther than some "distance" GI clubs). I was wrong in this case. I too play to an 18 and was looking for something nicer to look at than my old r7's. Ultimately though, I went with a more forgiving iron in the JPX 800. The Cobra S2 Forged look and feel great, but in the end I convinced myself that I could probably use the extra help.

Many questions to ask.

1. Are you looking for players irons or forged irons? Because one can be a players iron and not forged (which is just a process to make a club).
2. Not sure what forgiveness means in "terms of offset"? This would be completely dependent on the golfer and their swing. One person can get assistance with offset via ball flight and someone else might need onset.
3. Is there a reason as a bogey golfer you are limiting yourself to irons that are limited in terms of forgiveness? I mean no disrespect by it, just very curious.
in terms of offset i meant to say that i would like an iron to have medium offset. Less than the 09 burners but more than your traditional blade. I narrowed it down to forged because i have owned the mx 200s and they felt great but were just a little too chunky for my eye.

in terms of offset i meant to say that i would like an iron to have medium offset. Less than the 09 burners but more than your traditional blade. I narrowed it down to forged because i have owned the mx 200s and they felt great but were just a little too chunky for my eye.

And what is your normal ball flight?
At a handicap of 18 where are you missing?
What struggles do you have with irons?
Are your current irons fit for you in terms of length, shaft, and lie angle?

I think that JB ask a lot of really good questions (go figure, right?).

What is your miss and what are you looking for in terms of forgiveness? How important is "distance" to you?

My personal opinion would be to try some of the more forgiving irons (Burner 2.0, X-24, CG16) if you are really looking to lower your handicap and improve. "Feel" is very subjective and I find that shooting better scores ALWAYS makes my clubs feel better :alien:

One other quick question: If forgiveness is a big concern, why did you go with a spilt set. I would have thought that a full set of JPX-Pro would be more forgiving than a split set.
When i was being fitted fot the jpx 800 pros the guy had me hit the 53's as well and they felt great, better than the 800 pros, and my numbers were good and shot dispersion was tight. i was concerned about a full set of 53's and being able to hit the longer irons in that set as well as i was striking the 6 iron. I opted for more forgiveness in the longer irons 4,5,6 ( 800 pros). Forgiveness is a concern although iron play is the best part of my game. Looks are also important as some irons just look too chunky for my eye. G15's, 09 burners, etc...

And what is your normal ball flight?
At a handicap of 18 where are you missing?
What struggles do you have with irons?
Are your current irons fit for you in terms of length, shaft, and lie angle?

Yes i went for a fitting at my local pro shop. Irons are my strength and driver. My weakness is short game and putting. I would say accuracy with my wedges is my biggest weakness. My struggles with irons is hitting behind the ball occassionally and i cant hit a fade at will. Draws and straight are no problem.

Yes i went for a fitting at my local pro shop. Irons are my strength and driver. My weakness is short game and putting. I would say accuracy with my wedges is my biggest weakness. My struggles with irons is hitting behind the ball occassionally and i cant hit a fade at will. Draws and straight are no problem.

And this is for a 2nd set?
I guess all the questions are coming because you are looking at irons that are not geared at all towards forgiveness (generalization) and yet are looking to make your decision based on forgiveness. Sure there is some in these, but there are also some in R9 TPs, S56, etc.. and they are not forged. It appears that this is more about what you like the look of at setup and that is fine when making a decision such as irons. It just makes it very hard to judge based on forgiveness in game enhancement irons when your number one issue seems to be thickness of top line and irons such as MX-200s were "too chunky".

Wish I could help more.

If the 200's are too chunky for you how about the 300's? Out of the irons you have listed I only hit the AP2's and I really like them. Just too rich for my blood. I thought they were pretty forgiving and they felt great.

And this is for a 2nd set?
I guess all the questions are coming because you are looking at irons that are not geared at all towards forgiveness (generalization) and yet are looking to make your decision based on forgiveness. Sure there is some in these, but there are also some in R9 TPs, S56, etc.. and they are not forged. It appears that this is more about what you like the look of at setup and that is fine when making a decision such as irons. It just makes it very hard to judge based on forgiveness in game enhancement irons when your number one issue seems to be thickness of top line and irons such as MX-200s were "too chunky".

Wish I could help more.
Thanks for your help and your feedback is appreciated. I wish i could demo the j38's and S2's
up here but they are not available. I was hoping to hear more from those that have hit or own either of these sets. I hit the mizunos well but i have purchased a second driver(R9 460) and second putter(odyssey xg #7) and was just entertaining the idea of incorporating these into a second bag when and if i ever have the money. Thanks to all who took the time to reply!

But the MX-200 IS forged...

I think what you are meaning to say is that you have narrowed your selection down to "GE" style irons, which significantly reduces the amount of forgiveness available to you. There are several good GE irons that are not forged that could be right up your alley too, if you were willing to give those a try.

Honestly, I think that you and I have different ways of looking at our irons (nothing wrong with that at all) and I am not sure that I'll be of much use to you. I don't put much stock in how a club looks at address. If it works when I swing it, I will learn to like the look. Nothing makes a club look better than "confidence" standing over it, and if you hit a lot of good shots then that confidence just forms itself!

Personally, if I were going to get a second set of irons- I think that I would do something radical. Since I already have my gamers I would make my second set a nice set of Mizzy Blades, or maybe even pull the trigger on something ultra-forgiving and give that a try for my game. Really though, you can only play one set at a time and it sounds like you really like the split set you are playing now. If I may ask, what is the motivation behind building a second set?

But the MX-200 IS forged...

I think what you are meaning to say is that you have narrowed your selection down to "GE" style irons, which significantly reduces the amount of forgiveness available to you. There are several good GE irons that are not forged that could be right up your alley too, if you were willing to give those a try.

Honestly, I think that you and I have different ways of looking at our irons (nothing wrong with that at all) and I am not sure that I'll be of much use to you. I don't put much stock in how a club looks at address. If it works when I swing it, I will learn to like the look. Nothing makes a club look better than "confidence" standing over it, and if you hit a lot of good shots then that confidence just forms itself!

Personally, if I were going to get a second set of irons- I think that I would do something radical. Since I already have my gamers I would make my second set a nice set of Mizzy Blades, or maybe even pull the trigger on something ultra-forgiving and give that a try for my game. Really though, you can only play one set at a time and it sounds like you really like the split set you are playing now. If I may ask, what is the motivation behind building a second set?
I like your idea of going radical on a second set, i will give that some thought. My motivation for a second set is like i said above that i have accumulated a second driver and putter that see some time in rotation so i considered building a second set with these. I know there are people out there with multiple sets. Not sure if its actually a good idea or not. I am sure one set becomes the gamed set or favorite and the others collect dust besides the fact it is expensive!!

I like your idea of going radical on a second set, i will give that some thought. My motivation for a second set is like i said above that i have accumulated a second driver and putter that see some time in rotation so i considered building a second set with these. I know there are people out there with multiple sets. Not sure if its actually a good idea or not. I am sure one set becomes the gamed set or favorite and the others collect dust besides the fact it is expensive!!

What would happen if you purchased a second set and did something radical like got SGI irons and then scored better with them? Could you put them in play full time?

I know people that leave a set in a vacation home, etc so they don't have to travel with a full set. I can 100% understand that
In general though, part of golf is learning how the ball is going to react in every situation. Using a consistent set of clubs (not consistent as in "brand", but always using the same ones) certainly would help with that. There are members here who are always changing clubs for testing purposes and talk about how difficult that can be. If you are looking for a second set someday, you may even consider just keeping the irons you have now as a second set whenever you decide to replace them.

If you want a great forged iron with good forgiveness try the nike vr split cavity or even the new vr pro combo set. They are buttery soft and have decent forgiveness, more so in the pro combo because the longer irons have a full cavity. Check them out

Back