TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Review Thread

Absolutely hated these irons today. My swing was all sorts of bad today and these irons punished me in every single way. Never got comfortable with anything below a PW today and all my shots were low or low and to the right. On the rare occasion were I got a nice shot in the irons didnt disappoint with their feeling or accuracy.

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

Absolutely hated these irons today. My swing was all sorts of bad today and these irons punished me in every single way. Never got comfortable with anything below a PW today and all my shots were low or low and to the right. On the rare occasion were I got a nice shot in the irons didnt disappoint with their feeling or accuracy.

It's just one day buddy and bad ball striking days do happen. Shake it off and be ready to get back out there and swing away with these beauties.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

Great posts everyone. I'll be buying irons as soon as I can get my hands on the CB's and decide whether they're in play (and I expect they will be very much so based on the thread) with my other 2 considerations, the Burner 2.0's and the Cleveland CG16's. Has anyone hit the CG16's and how do they compare to the CB's?

Great posts everyone. I'll be buying irons as soon as I can get my hands on the CB's and decide whether they're in play (and I expect they will be very much so based on the thread) with my other 2 considerations, the Burner 2.0's and the Cleveland CG16's. Has anyone hit the CG16's and how do they compare to the CB's?

I have been playing both for the last month. THey are very different irons in my opinion. I find the CG16s more forgiving and longer than the CBs. However the CBs are a little more performance based. Meaning you can play them to go high and low and left and right.

Even though TC already said it, take it one day at a time. In a sick way it's good to know what to expect from your end on a bad day. Maybe will help you fix it the next time you are out. There are just days where swing and club don't jive.

I hit these irons a couple times on friday, and came away extremely impressed. I have never felt an iron with this much forgiveness, paired with as much control and feedback. Not to mention they are the best looking new iron out there IMO.

Sorry to hear this Hanks. This is the reason I moved away from GE clubs and into GI clubs. The off days just really sour me.

I hit these irons a couple times on friday, and came away extremely impressed. I have never felt an iron with this much forgiveness, paired with as much control and feedback. Not to mention they are the best looking new iron out there IMO.

I agree young thainer. Great all around irons.

Tapatalk: not just for staffers.

Interesting info here guys keep up the good work.

well, today my irons shined for me yet again. I was striking the ball very well with my CB's which just helped my confidence for the next shot. I am seeing the same things I have seen all along....Nice high ball flight that just goes straight as an arrow. I am also starting to really enjoy the clubs at impact. Its just such a smooth feeling. Thainer had the opportunity to swing these as well today, he just hit them on a par 3 where he hit an awesome shot. After he hit it, he turned ot me and said, "I need these". Right now he is playing the Nike VR blades.

Didn't see this post. But yep, that's me. :blob:

From the iPhone.

Well well...

The shoulder felt much better and they opened a course today with temp tees and greens. Jrod and I headed out. It didn't get much above 35 degrees, but the sun was out and the wind wasn't horrible. Since it was temp greens/tees, there is no point in keeping score, so we decided to make it an extended practice session. We hit numerous balls from everywhere on the course. Got incredibly worn out towards the end and everything sort of fell apart, but I wasn't worried. I hit some great hots today until I ran out of steam. Not surprising as we were hitting at least 2-3 balls at every stop. Had a GREAT time getting out on a course again. I sort of feel complete again. Jrod has a laser, so we were able to gauge distances with it.

Anyway, the CB's were on fire today until I got tired out. First hole, I was 115 out and decided to hit a PW. Ended up pin high, less than 10 feet from the pin, just a bit to the left. Ball flight was high and straight. The club really just cut through the turf and felt great at impact. Second hole, I was blocked out by a tree and about 120 something out in the rough. Figured I'd need a bit more club, so I grabbed the 9 iron. Again, the iron just breezed through the grass and delivered a shot that climbed very quickly over the tree and again less than 10 feet from the pin. Amazing way to start.

Third hole is a wedge shot, so no CB action there. I usually tee off with an iron on the fourth because of a dog leg left. The hole was playing shorter because the temp tees were moved up about 20 yards, so I took an 8 iron. My first shot off the tee was a bit off the toe and it was still high, but leaked off to the right about 20 yards. I hit another and it was a beauty. When I compared distances between the two shots I saw about a 5 yard loss, but it was well off line. From there, I had an approach shot that required a 6 iron. I hit it clean and the ball had a beautiful medium high trajectory that really just cut through the air. Again, about 10 feet from the pin! Wowzers. Best thing about the 6 iron is that I was a bit concerned about my ability to hit it well. That went away quickly.

5th hole, I hit a PW a bit off the toe and it again went right, but only about 10 yards off line and I lost about 5 yards. The good thing was that I took too much club anyway, so it worked out well. 6th hole, I hit a 5 iron off the tee that went way high and really far. I didn't get a distance measurement on it, but I didn't expect it to go as far as it did. I came a bit OTT on the swing, but the left-right movement wasn't too bad. Maybe 10 yards off line.

After this, I don't really have any good stories. I hit a ton of shots today and found a rough estimate of my distances, though the cold temps surely affected them. Distances were basically right on with what I expected. Not overly long, but right in line with what I'm used to. Forgiveness what pretty much the same as it has been. Pretty forgiving, but you can't expect a good result from a bad swing. It just doesn't work that way.

My favorite things about these irons today were the turf interaction, ball flight, and accuracy. I will elaborate a bit more over the next couple days.

Nice info boys, Tough job but someone has to do it!

Hawk, that is a solid writeup. Can you expand on the turf interaction that you are liking?

Hawk, that is a solid writeup. Can you expand on the turf interaction that you are liking?

Haha! When JB says more info coming in the next couple days we all wait. When Hawk says more info coming in the next couple days, JB demands more. :alien:

From the iPhone.

Haha! When JB says more info coming in the next couple days we all wait. When Hawk says more info coming in the next couple days, JB demands more. :alien:

From the iPhone.

That was not what I said. I was asking that when he DOES elaborate in the next couple of days, can he please include more info on turf interaction.

No problem at all. I will most likely be around a bit later. Gotta get this boy to bed.

I mostly said id elaborate over the next couple if days bc things keep popping in my head, but I will be glad to answer any questions if you all have any.

Tapatalk keeps me sane.

Ok, turf interaction. First, a bit of background. I've been hitting the ball off of mats for the last 3+ months and I have really gotten a steep swing plane since the last part of the previous season and I try to take a divot ahead of the ball. Steep swings and mats are not a great combination and can be somewhat painful at times. Also, my most recent irons vs grass experiences have been with the Adams a30S irons.

Anyway, I love how easily the CB's cut through the grass when I take a divot. There were a few times where I hit a shot and just didn't seem to feel anything, but looked down to see a nice sized divot ahead of the ball. This is a pretty big change for me as it always seemed like the a30S either bounced or sort of got stuck in the ground. Obviously, they didn't actually get stuck, but there was definitely much more resistance with them than the CB's. Also, out of the rough, they seemed to cut through the grass a bit better than the a30S irons did. I know they are opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to irons, but they are what I am used to, so they are what I am comparing my experiences today to.

Not much to it other than that. Really, I was just thrilled to be hitting the ball on grass and was very happy with the way full swings felt when taking a divot.

Thanks for the explanation. Very solid and I know exactly what you mean.

So Hawk you think these irons would be good for some one with a steep swing? I have a very steep swing and a lot of irons take massive divots for me.

Thanks for the info Hawk, these really seem like a winner and every time I come back to this thread I just read such great feedback on them. I can't wait to get a few cracks with them next weekend.

So Hawk you think these irons would be good for some one with a steep swing? I have a very steep swing and a lot of irons take massive divots for me.

That is what I am working on now. I have a steep swing myself.

Yeah my old blades would take these massive chunks of earth. I mean a few times my swing would get stopped I was so steep. The Pings helped with that as the sole just bounced off the ground. I have always been steep so I'm not really sure I can swing any other way. That is why I always look for irons that are good for diggers. Boy the Champions course could take a beating from our foursome!

good stuff Hawk...sounds like you're getting more comfy with these

Back