Therein lies the reason MOST Mac users stay with Macs. Because for the money, they do get more out of it. Look at notebook tenure for Mac vs PC and see what comes up. Most Mac users keep their notebook longer and they are relevant longer due to OS. So its not really a money thing either.

It is for some people. Like me.

So its not really a money thing either.

I have no problems with logevity out of my PC's.

Clearly missing my point, you are only weighing up front costs and not total costs. I give up, I am glad that your PC's work for you.

And heres another thing. The upgrade to the lastest OS for my MacBook? $29.99

Love mine. Pro 15 2.66ghz Core i7. Fast, reliable, durable. Battery goes for over 4 hours with movies running (great for long flights). Sound cards, camera and speakers all built in. I have the full MS office suite- fully compatible with windows, and I can boot into Windows if I want (though I have not needed to do that in a long long time). I have the Time Machine back up system as well.

I have been using Mac's since 86' and the Apple laptops since around 92. Never had a dead pixel, never had a dead HD, never had to deal with a virus. The screen went dead on one when I was in Australia (a bad connector cable) and they fixed it there at no cost even though the warranty was expired. Gave one to my Mother-in-law who had never used a computer and she was loving it after a few weeks.

They cost a bit more, but you get way more in return. Well worth the extra $$$.

I am looking at total costs. I have no problem with not upgrading the OS. I vastly prefer XP to ay of the newer Windows versions. It seems, however, that we are both convinced that one is better than the other. I give up as well.

Clearly missing my point, you are only weighing up front costs and not total costs. I give up, I am glad that your PC's work for you.

I am looking at total costs. I have no problem with not upgrading the OS. I vastly prefer XP to ay of the newer Windows versions. It seems, however, that we are both convinced that one is better than the other. I give up as well.

Whoa buddy. I NEVER said one was superior or better. I use both. What I pointed out was that your argument did not hold up.

Whoa buddy. I NEVER said one was superior or better. I use both. What I pointed out was that your argument did not hold up.

Very well, I apologise for becoming confused as to your purpose. I still prefer PC. Up front AND in the long run. Perhaps I am just planted in my ways.

Dude XP is good and was the best but Windows 7 is better.

The laptop I am on right now is running 7. I like it, but I will always have a special place in my heart for XP.

Agreed, I don`t use Mac and never will just due to my job. 7 is good and I have only really started getting into it, because we have been using a customized embedded version of XP for so long we didn`t change over right away. Mac products are good for those that like them, but I just can`t.

The laptop I am on right now is running 7. I like it, but I will always have a special place in my heart for XP.

Yeah I know what youre saying, I was running XP for a long long time. I got it before it was released and loved it. But 7 is what MS should have released a long time ago. Its a good OS and the best MS one yet.

I think it is probably the best OS they have released, just, for some reason, not my favorite. Give me some time though, and it probably will be. Definatley better than Vista.

Yeah I know what youre saying, I was running XP for a long long time. I got it before it was released and loved it. But 7 is what MS should have released a long time ago. Its a good OS and the best MS one yet.

Bought myself a macbook pro. Love it so far. THP looks a little different and some things are over top of each other, but Im sure Ill figure it out.

Bought myself a macbook pro. Love it so far. THP looks a little different and some things are over top of each other, but Im sure Ill figure it out.

It's a resolution issue. I have the same problem here at work on XP.
My macbook pro displays it all just fine.

Nice Esox, I wish her luck with the MacBook. My sister has had the older one for a couple years now and has just had no problems with it at all. If I could afford one I would get one. Instead I wasted a good $800 on my stupid Dell. Oh well..

Nice Esox, I wish her luck with the MacBook. My sister has had the older one for a couple years now and has just had no problems with it at all. If I could afford one I would get one. Instead I wasted a good $800 on my stupid Dell. Oh well..

The price is one of the leading factors to most people not having them. Apple and their genius marketing time tie in not only great technology but exclusivity to the brand.

I have a macbook and absolutley love it. But I have a friend who preaches from the "Book of Apple". He poopoos PC's and people that use them. He told me he "would go without the internet, a computer, and probably a phone, if it wasn't an apple product." Needless to say, he has easily help pay for one of Steve Jobs' children through college.

I dont think I'm closing things. I think Im just minimizing them. I'm sorry in advance for people who will become annoyed with me in this thread.

From the iPhone.

On what? Macbook or iPhone?
If it's your Macbook, just remember command+W will close the window, command+Q will quit the program entirely.
On your iPhone, assuming OS4 - if you double click the 'home' button, it will bring up a bar on the bottom that shows you all the "open" apps. You can press and hold on them to make them shiver, and then you can close them each individually. For some apps [like skype or words4free] it's important that you do this so they don't drain your battery.

On what? Macbook or iPhone?
If it's your Macbook, just remember command+W will close the window, command+Q will quit the program entirely.
On your iPhone, assuming OS4 - if you double click the 'home' button, it will bring up a bar on the bottom that shows you all the "open" apps. You can press and hold on them to make them shiver, and then you can close them each individually. For some apps [like skype or words4free] it's important that you do this so they don't drain your battery.

It was from the MacBook but I didn't know that about the iPhone! Wow thanks alot.

From the iPhone.

I dont think I'm closing things. I think Im just minimizing them. I'm sorry in advance for people who will become annoyed with me in this thread.

From the iPhone.

Not annoyed at all Thainer!

Has anyone bought the newest edition of the MacBook Pro? My wife has been drooling over getting a mac for several years now, so I'm looking to surprise her. I'm trying to decide if the newest version is worth the upcharge, or just get the previous generation now that they are on sale. She wont be doing anything too technical, just likes the feel of the Pro line better.

Has anyone bought the newest edition of the MacBook Pro? My wife has been drooling over getting a mac for several years now, so I'm looking to surprise her. I'm trying to decide if the newest version is worth the upcharge, or just get the previous generation now that they are on sale. She wont be doing anything too technical, just likes the feel of the Pro line better.

I would buy the new one... I did exactly what you are considering a few years back between the first gen uni-body and the second gen, and I regret doing that so much now!

Back