Jerry Kelly & His Putter

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The Tour Spot is back again with another look at WITB out on tour. This one is kind of unique as we focus on a player that gets overlooked sometimes and have an emphasis on his putter.

http://thehackersparadise.com/home/?p=12714

This will be really interesting to see and I wonder how it will influence some of us, to want the "hot" putter of the week?

Yeah Im looking forward to checking this one out.

• Admin
Guys did you click the link?

Guys did you click the link?

lmao. Were waiting for it to be announced I think. haha.

Cleveland Classic #3, very nice.

I clicked the link, and I love he has been gaming this putter for so long. I have a cleveland classics 1 putter and really like it. They are a great feeling putter regarless of how much they cost.

From watching him yesterday he hits halfway up on the ball and gets some hop.

Last edited:
A good point for people to understand. You dont have to go out and buy a $300 Scotty Cameron putter (just an example) to roll balls in the hole. Thats the thing about golf, its such a game of confidence. Without it you can have the best equipment in the world but still be the worst player on the course, with it you can game $69 clubs and "Putt lights out on the cheap". Thanks THP I love your WITB segs.

That $69 putter is treating him well I guess.

Just goes to show that the ball has no idea how much a putter cost. I've been saying for years that you don't have to have a $300 or $500 putter to have one that works. Even a used $30 putter can be customized, just like a high dollar one.

Putting is about confidence as much as anything else, if you have confidence in your putter you have won half of the game.

I use the #3 and love it. Great feeling stick and seems to have everything that an amateur or a pro needs. Best thing is that it only cost $50 when I got it. Very cool.

I use the #3 and love it. Great feeling stick and seems to have everything that an amateur or a pro needs. Best thing is that it only cost $50 when I got it. Very cool.

Of all the Cleveland models the #3 intrigues me the most. I knew this thread was going to be trouble :thinking:.

Then there is Mark Wilson (Ping Anser Karsten Series) and Martin Kaymer (Ping Anser 2 Karsten Series). In this rough economy these pros have to do what they have to do to pay the bills put the kids through college. I can see how a Scotty could put a strain on their financial situation.

Jerry Kelly, the original and real Boo Weekly. It's great to see he spends his money on what works for him.

Those Ping putters they use and have won with are around $90.

THere are lots of inexpensive putters, many very good such as those Pings and the new TaylorMades.

We were just pointing out what Jerry Kelly had in his bag and the putter being under $70.

all I can say is way to go Jerry! Actually the #3 suits him quite well. We (Pioneer) sponsored Jerry a few years ago and I had the good fortune of playing a round with him. He is a very down to earth and genuine person. I couldn't be happier for him, unless he had won of course!!

I still can't believe those putters are that cheap. Just messing around in stores, they are VERY high quality flat sticks. In fact, I almost wish I had bought one for my birthday instead of my Odyssey. Almost.

Here in Cheeseland most of us learn to play with a rock and a stick. We don't need no $300 putters.

Maybe I should quickly change my signature. LOL.

With Steve Stricker playing pretty poorly, it's nice to see Jerry and Mark keeping the Cheese near the top of the leaderboards.

Kevin

This doesn't show me that $300 putters are worthless and useless. It shows me that there are many options at many prices for every golfer, including professionals. I like seeing Jerry using a $70 stick, and Kaymer using a $90 putter. But those putters aren't for everybody.

Awesome story. As we all know (can't pass anything by a THP member) Furyk did something similar last year when he pulled a yes putter out of a bargain bin for something like $60.

I think an important thing to remeber is that Im' sure the putters (in both players cases) were still adjusted to fit the player in one of those tour vans. Even though the putter might not have orignated from the tour vans.

This doesn't show me that $300 putters are worthless and useless. It shows me that there are many options at many prices for every golfer, including professionals. I like seeing Jerry using a $70 stick, and Kaymer using a $90 putter. But those putters aren't for everybody.

Could be, but if every putter built today that sells for $100 or more were to drop off the face of the earth, the game of golf would continue and those that are great putters, would continue to be great and the rest of us would continue to putt just as we do right now.
I think the point of this thread is that even the pro's don't have to have a $3000 009 Cameron in the bag to play well. At least thats what I get out of it.
A $300 car will get you to the store, just like a $300,000 one will, but don't tell me you have to have the expensive one to get there. Same with putters. The ball could care less how much clubs cost.

Could be, but if every putter built today that sells for $100 or more were to drop off the face of the earth, the game of golf would continue and those that are great putters, would continue to be great and the rest of us would continue to putt just as we do right now.
I think the point of this thread is that even the pro's don't have to have a $3000 009 Cameron in the bag to play well. At least thats what I get out of it.
A $300 car will get you to the store, just like a $300,000 one will, but don't tell me you have to have the expensive one to get there. Same with putters. The ball could care less how much clubs cost.

I only partly agree with that. I don't think that all putters are interchangeable. I don't believe Phil would putt as will with a Wilson 8882 as he does with his custom Odyssey. Or that Louis Oosthuizen could have won the Open Championship without his custom Redwood Anser.

I don't think that a $300 putter will make you an better putter automatically, but sometimes it is the arrows and not just the indian.

Back