MarcW

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN
Did he get a free bowl of soup with that?

TGC spoke about it earlier today. He does not wear it for fashion (thank goodness) but to shield his skin since his bout with skin cancer.

Did he get a free bowl of soup with that?

LMAO. I could not wear that EVERRRRRRRRRRRR. Well If I played as good as he does then I guess I could.

Wow, I thought it was kinda cool, maybe in earth tones I'd do it. I'd only wear the red it if it had a big feather on the side.

Not a big fan of the hat style myself, but the fact is he thinks it will help keep him safe. For me, sunscreen works as well.

AHEM.....
_41504464_greg1.jpg

Even though I'm a man.......I would have to say the Shark would look good in any hat. The same can't be said of everyone. To each his own however.

If it comes down to skin cancer or never playing golf again.....I'd wear a paper bag over my head to play golf!

I think that protecting your skin is more important than fashion. Do you think it would be annoying to swing in hat with that wide of a brim?

I would rather watch him in that hat, then hearing every two minutes here's two gloves taking a shot.

I think you're going to see a lot more of those hats.

I wear sunscreen every time I play or practice, but so did Rory...and he still got skin cancer.

I'm actually looking to get one myself. I'll deal with the hecklers...I'm just scared of that happening to me.

TGC spoke about it earlier today. He does not wear it for fashion (thank goodness) but to shield his skin since his bout with skin cancer.

I understand his need for caution since his bout with skin cancer but that's the best he could do? I've seen several players at my club with wide brims hats that are much better looking than what Sabo has worn all week.

Even though I'm a man.......I would have to say the Shark would look good in any hat. The same can't be said of everyone. To each his own however.

Well, maybe not this hat.....

4450e929-1cbc-2397.jpg

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

This may sound a bit rough, but simply put, there's not a worst way to go than skin cancer. I went through it with a very close friend who lasted several years, all in the hospital waiting on the next spot to be removed until it hit something vital. cover up and tell others to kiss yours, we need all our hackers here and in good shape.

P1020787.jpg

Here's my ugly hat! Laugh all you want.

I understand his need for caution since his bout with skin cancer but that's the best he could do? I've seen several players at my club with wide brims hats that are much better looking than what Sabo has worn all week.

Got any pictures? I'm curious what else is out there.

I use sunblock and wear one of the Shark's hats except on very windy days ,then I wear a regular cap.I told the dermatologist that my wife said my hat looked dumb.The dermatologist told me that I would look a lot dumber with my head covered in cancer or if I was lying in a box.I am pretty much bald on top of my head and have no hair for protection.He also advised me that a large hat offered much more protection than a cap,especially on the neck and that a lot of outdoor people should wear them.

I think that protecting your skin is more important than fashion. Do you think it would be annoying to swing in hat with that wide of a brim?

It does take a little getting use to so that it doesn't bother me during the swing.

I think you're going to see a lot more of those hats.

I wear sunscreen every time I play or practice, but so did Rory...and he still got skin cancer.

I'm actually looking to get one myself. I'll deal with the hecklers...I'm just scared of that happening to me.

cmoors - I believe Rory started wearing his after he got skin cancer :confused2:. Either way, once you get the stuff, you want to protect yourself anyway you can.

This may sound a bit rough, but simply put, there's not a worst way to go than skin cancer. I went through it with a very close friend who lasted several years, all in the hospital waiting on the next spot to be removed until it hit something vital. cover up and tell others to kiss yours, we need all our hackers here and in good shape.

P1020787.jpg

Here's my ugly hat! Laugh all you want.

Due -- I love that hat! Since you are not going to be at the outing in May, I will be the lone cowboy :cowboy:. When I choose not to wear my bucket hat, I take a healthy face bath in 90 + sun screen. I have had my run in twice before with sun damage (Basal cell carcinoma) and currently treating a Actinic keratosis with a chemical skin med. Trust me guys & gals, this stuff is no fun so please take precautions!

As a civil engineer, I spend up to 14 hours a day outdoors in the summer at work. About 15 years ago, I had a spot on my left earlobe, about the diameter of a ink pen. It looked like a little scab but it never dried up and dropped off like a scab. It would of course bleed if I picked at it. I finally had my family doctor look at it and he sent me to a dermatologists right away. The dermitologist told me it was what is called Basal Cell Carcinoma.

I had it removed in a outpatient procedure called a shave biopsy that took less than a half hour and was basically pain free. Basal Cell Carcinoma is the most common form of skin cancer and accounts for more than 90% of all skin cancer in the U.S. These cancers almost never spread (metastasize) to other parts of the body. They can, however, cause damage by growing and invading surrounding tissue. For me, treatment was what is called Curettage and Desiccation. This consists of scooping out the carcinoma with a small tool. Desiccation is the additional application of an electric current to control bleeding and kill the remaining cancer cells. The skin heals without stitching.

The spot healed quickly and I have not had any problems since then, but I remember it being a huge eye opener. While I won't be wearing a wide brim hat like these anytime soon (just not my style), I do load up on sunscreen every morning after I shower, reapplying as the day goes on.

As a civil engineer, I spend up to 14 hours a day outdoors in the summer at work. About 15 years ago, I had a spot on my left earlobe, about the diameter of a ink pen. It looked like a little scab but it never dried up and dropped off like a scab. It would of course bleed if I picked at it. I finally had my family doctor look at it and he sent me to a dermatologists right away. The dermitologist told me it was what is called Basal Cell Carcinoma.

I had it removed in a outpatient procedure called a shave biopsy that took less than a half hour and was basically pain free. Basal Cell Carcinoma is the most common form of skin cancer and accounts for more than 90% of all skin cancer in the U.S. These cancers almost never spread (metastasize) to other parts of the body. They can, however, cause damage by growing and invading surrounding tissue. For me, treatment was what is called Curettage and Desiccation. This consists of scooping out the carcinoma with a small tool. Desiccation is the additional application of an electric current to control bleeding and kill the remaining cancer cells. The skin heals without stitching.

The spot healed quickly and I have not had any problems since then, but I remember it being a huge eye opener. While I won't be wearing a wide brim hat like these anytime soon (just not my style), I do load up on sunscreen every morning after I shower, reapplying as the day goes on.

Great post HG! The two places I had removed were a bit larger and the doctor had to cut surrounding tissue to send to the lab to make sure it had not spread. I had five stitches in my neck and three right above my right lip where the cheek crease is. I go twice a year to have total body exams to make sure the ugly kind (melanoma) does not make an appearance. I had a place on the crown of my head that I had to treat with the chemical skin med. It took several treatments before it finally peeled away. Chances are if you have had it once, it may appear later so be careful what ever you do. I'm not sure if it runs in the family but my Mom had a large basal cell Carcinoma (size of a quarter) removed from her forehead.

Great post HG! The two places I had removed were a bit larger and the doctor had to cut surrounding tissue to send to the lab to make sure it had not spread. I had five stitches in my neck and three right above my right lip where the cheek crease is. I go twice a year to have total body exams to make sure the ugly kind (melanoma) does not make an appearance. I had a place on the crown of my head that I had to treat with the chemical skin med. It took several treatments before it finally peeled away. Chances are if you have had it once, it may appear later so be careful what ever you do. I'm not sure if it runs in the family but my Mom had a large basal cell Carcinoma (size of a quarter) removed from her forehead.

Yes it worries me. I have a couple of spots right now on my arms I'm going in to have looked at. I had them checked before and they don't look like they have changed any in a long time, but none the less it always worries me a little. I'm fair skinned and I take no chances these days being outside so much in the summer. Sunscreen is pretty cheap insurance.

Ben Crane said it was so distracting, that he (Ben) kept putting out of turn in frustration:laughing:

Not a big fan of the hat style myself, but the fact is he thinks it will help keep him safe. For me, sunscreen works as well.

There is no "thinks" about it. Wide brim hats make a HUGE difference in the prevention of skin cancer.

Back