misfitacds

Reaction score
Handicap
I would like info on public courses in the Knoxville area.

I would like info on public courses in the Knoxville area.

Also are you trying to stay in Knoxville or willing to drive 30 minutes?

Would agree with all of those listed above. Willow creek and egawni farms are going to be on the more expensive side in Knoxville i.e. $50+ on weekends. Avalon is a good track with tough greens. I have always wanted to play Rarity Bay but have not had a chance when being in Knoxville. Its on my list though. Aother place I love is River Islands and it's not as expensive as those other places mentioned. It's a little of a drive down I40 though in Kodak, TN. Not far but depends on where you are staying. Egwani and Willow Creek are going to be close drives if you are staying in Knox and Avalon is on the west side coming into town from Chatanooga. hope this helps.

Might have to check out some of these courses when I'm home on vacation (yes, when your in the military going home is vacationing). I'll especially have to check out Avalon since I'm from Chattanooga. What courses not mentioned above are in or around Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg because I love that area during the fall months!!! For those of you not familiar with the area those places are very close to Knoxville, so I'm not thread jacking.

Might have to check out some of these courses when I'm home on vacation (yes, when your in the military going home is vacationing). I'll especially have to check out Avalon since I'm from Chattanooga. What courses not mentioned above are in or around Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg because I love that area during the fall months!!! For those of you not familiar with the area those places are very close to Knoxville, so I'm not thread jacking.

River islands is not far from pigeon forge/ gatlinburg. Avalon isn't close to Chatanooga (70 miles maybe). I was using that as a reference for the side of town that is on when coming in on I75/ I40. Place in Chat that I played some years ago is Bear Trace. Enjoyed it. Reasonably priced. Would play it again if I were in the area.

welcome!

nice to meet you

Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg courses:

http://www.riverislandsgolf.com/sites/courses/layout9.asp?id=743&page=41209
http://www.bentcreekgolfcourse.com/
http://www.gatlinburg-tn.com/golf.php

Have fun!

Welcome. If your playing in the pigeon Forge area the Gatlinburg course is best. River Islands is also very good. Dead Horse, not so much. Golf Now always has some discount tee times for most of our courses.

River islands is not far from pigeon forge/ gatlinburg. Avalon isn't close to Chatanooga (70 miles maybe). I was using that as a reference for the side of town that is on when coming in on I75/ I40. Place in Chat that I played some years ago is Bear Trace. Enjoyed it. Reasonably priced. Would play it again if I were in the area.

I know it's a good ways up the road, but I'll be headed that direction to go to Gatlinburg while I'm home anyway. So I might as well check it out!

I know it's a good ways up the road, but I'll be headed that direction to go to Gatlinburg while I'm home anyway. So I might as well check it out!

If your in Gatlinburg, give me a call or stop by the Monkey Disco. 865-436-4555

Definitely. I was just clarifying as my last post might have implied that it was close to chat. Avalon is a good track from what I remember and its easily accessible from the highway. I think it is the Watt road exit. I do remember the greens being fairly tough as a good portion of them were multi tiered. You should enjoy it.

Welcome. If your playing in the pigeon Forge area the Gatlinburg course is best. River Islands is also very good. Dead Horse, not so much. Golf Now always has some discount tee times for most of our courses.
+1 the Sky Hi #12 hole is worth the price of admission alone, the entire course is a challenge and a lot of fun to play.

clam fist,
How do you rate the golfnow courses below? We had wanted to play Baneberry in the morning and River Islands in the afternoon this Saturday, but can't get the tee times to coincide. We're playing Gatlinburg Sunday morning.

Bent Creek
Creekside Plantation
Laurel Valley GC
Smoky Mountain CC

I'm from Crossville (Golf Capital of Tennessee) I'd recommend a 45 minute drive west on I-40 and visit Fairfield Glade, Lake Tansi, or Bear Trace at Cumberland Mountain. Lots of great courses and all the options keep costs low.

There are only a couple of public Knoxville courses that I think I would pay to play. They are:
Willow Creek
Avalon
Three Ridges

If you are staying in Knoxville, then there are also a few other public courses that I'd recommend that are within about a 20 minute drive radius. They are:
Rarity Pointe
Rarity Bay (30 minutes)

There are a few private courses that are very nice but difficult to get on. If you're able to get a tee time, they are worth the price. They are:
Holston Hills (Donald Ross course)
Tennessee National (Greg Norman course)

I agree with an earlier post that the River Islands course in Kodak, north of Knoxville about 40 minutes, is a good course to play if you are staying on that side of Knoxville and you can take the time to drive there.

Hope you enjoy the golf!

Back