TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Review Thread

Yeah my old blades would take these massive chunks of earth. I mean a few times my swing would get stopped I was so steep. The Pings helped with that as the sole just bounced off the ground. I have always been steep so I'm not really sure I can swing any other way. That is why I always look for irons that are good for diggers. Boy the Champions course could take a beating from our foursome!

Thats why its nice Bermuda grows back so quickly.

So Hawk you think these irons would be good for some one with a steep swing? I have a very steep swing and a lot of irons take massive divots for me.

You know, I don't know if I can really answer that. The only thing that I'll say is that I had one of the best strings of ball striking with my irons that I've ever had today. For me, they really seem to fit my swing very well. I eventually lost it, but at that point, I literally couldn't hit anything.

Hawk, I love that you braved the weather, and the bum shoulder. That tells me how dedicated you are my friend. I can't wait to see you hit some iron shots with these sticks. Your swing looks so good these days and imo, I think these irons are a great fit for you. How great is it to see some great iron shots this early in your golf season?

These irons are by far my favorite irons I've seen, ever. I find myself looking at pics of them more than I care to admit.

Nothing like a ball striking day like you had today buddy, you'll be itching to get back out there.

It was like a dream come true at first dude. I was geeking after the second hole. I was very happy for a first trip out on the course. Looking forward to the summer and some good golf this year.

Thanks for answering Hawk. I can't wait till summer so you guys can be in top form and really putting these irons through the paces.

It was like a dream come true at first dude. I was geeking after the second hole. I was very happy for a first trip out on the course. Looking forward to the summer and some good golf this year.

Seems like a lot of us have some high expectations this year, I like it! Sounds like you got off to a great start.

I'd like to thank you all for the posts, I'm new to this website and found it trying to find some info about these clubs after the clubhouse told me TM had new clubs coming out. My local course had a demo day saturday and I went up and tried both the CB's and 2.0's I thought the CB's were going to be out of my playing capacity but to my surprise I swung them pretty well and was getting a good straight ball flight. After taking a lot of time swinging the two styles of clubs I decided to order a set of the CB's and now I'm chomping at the bit to recieve them so I can get out and play a round with them. Thanks for all the good info guys.

I'd like to thank you all for the posts, I'm new to this website and found it trying to find some info about these clubs after the clubhouse told me TM had new clubs coming out. My local course had a demo day saturday and I went up and tried both the CB's and 2.0's I thought the CB's were going to be out of my playing capacity but to my surprise I swung them pretty well and was getting a good straight ball flight. After taking a lot of time swinging the two styles of clubs I decided to order a set of the CB's and now I'm chomping at the bit to recieve them so I can get out and play a round with them. Thanks for all the good info guys.

Congrats on the new sticks! I'm pretty jealous.

I can't wait to hit these at the Demo day in May! I wonder if they might knock the R9's out of the bag. hhhhhhmmmmmm

Love to hear this kind of stuff. Welcome to THP and congrats on the irons! What made you choose them over the 2.0's?

Love to hear this kind of stuff. Welcome to THP and congrats on the irons! What made you choose them over the 2.0's?

It all pretty much came down to the feedback of the iron I was hitting both pretty well that day, the 2.0's were definitely a good club but I felt when I had a bad swing with the CB's I new exactly what went wrong and what I needed to do differently. The distance between the two irons for me were for the most part within a couple of yards however the CB's definitely had a higher trajectory and had a bit more distance loss on miss hits. The CB's also had a better feel with a good ball strike. I hope this helps people and doesn't confuse them as that was just my opinion and I know everyone has a different swing.

Nice update Hawk. Glad to hear you were striping your irons early on. 10 feet on all those approach shots is pretty spectacular results. I too am enjoying the turf interaction on the MCs. It just cuts through the grass, especially in the rough.

So, how do you feel so far about your distance control with these irons versus other sets you've played?

Had a chance to hit all three irons at a demo day on Friday. I currently play the 2009 Titleist AP2's, love them and wasn't in the market for new irons. I was mostly curious about the R11 driver and after test driving it the rep handed me a CB 7 iron to check out. It was love at first strike. The weight was so perfect, the sound, the feel, the setup everything. I pulled my own 7 iron out of my bag for comparison and the distances were identical, but the weight of the Taylor Made clubs just felt better and made my tempo so much smoother (and my tempo is my biggest issue). Perhaps the s300 shafts suit me better than the Project X 5.5's on my AP2's.

Next the Rep handed me the MB, which is a real beauty. I was shocked when it flew 20 yards past where the CB had landed and quickly hit another to make sure it wasn't a fluke. It wasn't, but the Rep had handed me a 5 instead of the 7. I laughed for a moment and then realized how easily and consistently I had hit a 5 iron blade. I finished up with the MC 7 iron and was also very impressed with the feel and also liked that the setup, head size and feedback were closer the what I was used to with my AP2's.

So now I am in a quandry and find myself glancing at ebay to see what I can sell my clubs for. When the demo irons come in at my club I plan to hit them a bunch more and also plan to hit the new AP2's with the Dynamic Gold Shafts to see if that is what I was feeleing. I am however very impressed with these clubs, not in love with the bolt, but as other posts have noted, you can't see it at setup.

It all pretty much came down to the feedback of the iron I was hitting both pretty well that day, the 2.0's were definitely a good club but I felt when I had a bad swing with the CB's I new exactly what went wrong and what I needed to do differently. The distance between the two irons for me were for the most part within a couple of yards however the CB's definitely had a higher trajectory and had a bit more distance loss on miss hits. The CB's also had a better feel with a good ball strike. I hope this helps people and doesn't confuse them as that was just my opinion and I know everyone has a different swing.

Thanks for the response. Make sure to stop back in and let us know how they are working for you.

Nice update Hawk. Glad to hear you were striping your irons early on. 10 feet on all those approach shots is pretty spectacular results. I too am enjoying the turf interaction on the MCs. It just cuts through the grass, especially in the rough.

So, how do you feel so far about your distance control with these irons versus other sets you've played?

For full swings, I've found that the distances I'm seeing are very consistent. I haven't really had the chance to experiment much with taking a bit off, etc. I usually just change clubs in those situations.

So Hawk you think these irons would be good for some one with a steep swing? I have a very steep swing and a lot of irons take massive divots for me.

I think these will be great for a steep swing because I have one myself. I take divots even on practice swings...haha. I think these irons truly shine there. I had a PW into a green on friday and I took a healthy divot but never really even felt it. the ball flew nice and high, I see exactly what Hawk is saying about the turf interaction. You will have NO problem getting this club through the turf and getting the ball up, granted, you have to get the ball first.

here is a good example of the forgiveness of these CB's:

There is a par 5 at the course we played where you have to lay up short of the creek or cut it over the trees in order to get over the creek. I hit a 3 wood and was just barely short of the creek but in some pretty thick rough. I was obviously going to lay up for my next shot and I needed to hit it about 190 to get to the end of the fairway and have a nice shot in. I took a 5 iron thinking even if I dont hit it well I should have a decent shot in. Well, I didnt hit it well, I ended up trying to swing too hard and pulling my head up so I caught it pretty thin. I ended up right at the end of the fairway. I knew immediatley I caught it thin and was thinking I was going to be way short, but to my surprise I was right where I wanted to be.

another little story from Friday, it was a par 4 and I was in the right rough about 125 out, I pulled my PW and choked down to take a smooth swing, the ball was above my feet so I aimed about 10 yards right of target and swung away, man I didnt even feel the rough, the ball took off out of it with a beautifully high ball flight and I landed anout 8 feet from the hole. of course I missed the bird but had a tap in par. I think I kissed my PW

How's that 3 iron? Do you see a lot of drop off between that and a hybrid as far as distance?

If I were to get these, which is more of a "when I get these", I think I would go 4-AW. I had an AW with my OSS Slingshots and loved it. Dang I cant wait for these to come out.

How's that 3 iron? Do you see a lot of drop off between that and a hybrid as far as distance?

I have not hit it et, next time I go to the range I will do a little 3 iron, 3 hybrid testing for you

If I were to get these, which is more of a "when I get these", I think I would go 4-AW. I had an AW with my OSS Slingshots and loved it. Dang I cant wait for these to come out.

I actually think that's a good idea. I'm highly contemplating going with the set gap wedge in my next set as well.

I actually think that's a good idea. I'm highly contemplating going with the set gap wedge in my next set as well.

I agree guys, I honestly dont know what I was thinking!

here is a good example of the forgiveness of these CB's:

There is a par 5 at the course we played where you have to lay up short of the creek or cut it over the trees in order to get over the creek. I hit a 3 wood and was just barely short of the creek but in some pretty thick rough. I was obviously going to lay up for my next shot and I needed to hit it about 190 to get to the end of the fairway and have a nice shot in. I took a 5 iron thinking even if I dont hit it well I should have a decent shot in. Well, I didnt hit it well, I ended up trying to swing too hard and pulling my head up so I caught it pretty thin. I ended up right at the end of the fairway. I knew immediatley I caught it thin and was thinking I was going to be way short, but to my surprise I was right where I wanted to be.

another little story from Friday, it was a par 4 and I was in the right rough about 125 out, I pulled my PW and choked down to take a smooth swing, the ball was above my feet so I aimed about 10 yards right of target and swung away, man I didnt even feel the rough, the ball took off out of it with a beautifully high ball flight and I landed anout 8 feet from the hole. of course I missed the bird but had a tap in par. I think I kissed my PW

I've definitely noticed that these are bit more forgiving low on the face rather than high. I've been able to hit some shots surprisingly high in the air even when I thinned them a bit.

The only shots I've taken with the 3 iron were on a range tee that was too high for the iron. I hit the ball high on the face and it pretty much went nowhere. I will work on a 4 iron vs 4 hybrid comparison for you as that will be a bit easier for me to do.

I am glad that my little brother received a set of these for testing. It means that he comes over this way a bit more for testing purposes. It also means that I get to see these sticks more often than not. I'm amazed at how attracted I am to them at this point, and that's based strictly on looks/aesthetics alone. I have never hit a golf ball with one and I can tell that I love the pairing of the CB head with the XP shaft. Everything about this iron is just right: the looks, the weighting, the balance, the sound at impact.

You guys are doing a great job so far, thanks for all the feedback and effort.

I am glad that my little brother received a set of these for testing. It means that he comes over this way a bit more for testing purposes. It also means that I get to see these sticks more often than not. I'm amazed at how attracted I am to them at this point, and that's based strictly on looks/aesthetics alone. I have never hit a golf ball with one and I can tell that I love the pairing of the CB head with the XP shaft. Everything about this iron is just right: the looks, the weighting, the balance, the sound at impact.

You guys are doing a great job so far, thanks for all the feedback and effort.

thanks bro! These clubs are my new found love. Is it bad that I clean them thoroughly after every round? hahaha

Back