Cleveland Launcher Ultralite Driver & FW

Cleveland is really putting out some fantastic clubs this year.

I agree with you, and I am looking for a demo day here in Denver.

Numbers look pretty good on the 270. Didn't pull the trigger on it yet, but I will for sure. I am 4-6 weeks out from actually putting a driver in play so I will ride it out I think.

SS 94
2600 spin
14 launch angle
carry 240s (great for me, haven't hit 260 drives in a long time)
ball speed ??? oops
sidespin was minimal, pretty much went where I aimed

Done with the 10.5 regular. I would like to hit a 12 as well. May bring up the launch and spin. I don't dislike the results, but a 12 could be better. I hit the K15 and G15, but they couldn't touch those carry numbers. What a great shaft is all I can say.

Glad to hear you are happy with the XL 270, 10.5 degree. I just bought mine last weekend and could not play due to the weather. I have the Mashie 18 and 23 degree and love those Miyazaki shafts. That led me to the driver purchase. I am seriously considering the fairway wood as well.

Glad to hear you are happy with the XL 270, 10.5 degree. I just bought mine last weekend and could not play due to the weather. I have the Mashie 18 and 23 degree and love those Miyazaki shafts. That led me to the driver purchase. I am seriously considering the fairway wood as well.

Wow! I am thinking about trying these out as well.

I have had the SL290 10.5* R shaft now for a while and like what I have been doing with it. Very accurate for me off the tee. I am now routinely hitting most of the fairways I use driver on. When you catch the sweet spot you'll know it.

I made it to hit the 270 yesterday. Man was that thing light and long! I really felt like I would have a hard time controlling it. I compared it to the R11 and was getting better distance and head speed out of the R11. i think it was because I felt more comfortable with the shorter shaft. I wonder how great it would be if I could cut the shaft down to a 45" length? I think I would get more solid hits out of it.

Couldn't sleep last night. Went out and got a 270. I made much better numbers today as I was more relaxed and really pushed the club:

SS 104
Ball speed 150
Launch 16
spin 2500
carry 250s total 270s
dispersion of 5 yards

What I love about the 270 is I can back off or stand on it and the club keeps up. I was SHOCKED at how much velocity I picked up. To be sure it was legit I rehit the 290 and duplicated the numbers from the day previous.

I wasn't catching everything on the screws and I attribute that to the longer shaft. I caught the 290 on the sweet spot almost every time, but it gave me a wider dispersion and about 15 yards less distance.

I really think the standard flex designation (R,S,X) does not work with these shafts. I wound up with a "R" even though "S" is indicated at that SS. My "S" numbers produced lower spin and launch (less distance).

Will share more experiences as they come.

This is another driver I want to spend more time with soon. I didn't really get much time with it at the last outing and I have a case of the what-if's right now. As my driver swing gets better, I feel like I have more options.

I just got a UL 3w 17* (really, just call it a 4w). I am super excited to hit the grass range today and see how it goes. The club looks and feels great. I'll report back with any interesting findings.

I just got a UL 3w 17* (really, just call it a 4w). I am super excited to hit the grass range today and see how it goes. The club looks and feels great. I'll report back with any interesting findings.

Let us know how you like it! I got mine in the mail yesterday but the shaft was broken in half. Cleveland is sending me a new one. I'm really hoping I have success with the 17° since I've struggled with previous 3 woods. I really hit it well on the range when being fitted.

Will have a full review on the home page on these drivers coming up very soon.

Let us know how you like it! I got mine in the mail yesterday but the shaft was broken in half. Cleveland is sending me a new one. I'm really hoping I have success with the 17° since I've struggled with previous 3 woods. I really hit it well on the range when being fitted.

I've had this club in the bag for the past 2 weeks and can't say enough nice things about it. For this pea shooter it's a consistent 210 with a soft fade whether off the tee or deck, it's the most reliable club in my bag right now.

Looking forward to it!

So after some simulator time with the TL310 this weekend theres a 99% chance that i'm going to be picking one up in the near future. My only question was if Cleveland offered the Kusala series shafts in these drivers without an upcharge? It looks like the Kusala series is listed under the "Custom" shaft offerings on the cleveland website. I loved the way the C.Kua felt but want to be sure i'm not leaving anything on the table by not trying any other shafts, especially the other Miyazaki shafts.

There is a demo day around me this Saturday and wanted to know what to look for. Thanks for any help!

I believe there will be an upcharge for custom shafts.

I believe there will be an upcharge for custom shafts.

Thanks JB, I had kind of figured there would be an upcharge since they were listed under the custom section but wasnt sure since the other C. Kua series shafts were under the custom section as well.

Cant wait for the reviews of the Cleveland Driver. I've hit all 3 models and found some pretty big differences between the 3 with my swing. I'm looking forward to the review from THP and some longer term testing information.

A quick review of my Cleveland TL310:

Club: Cleveland TL310 10.5°

Shaft: Miyazaki C.Kua 59 X-Flex

Specs: Standard

Look: From address this is one of the best looking heads on the market. The shape is very similar to the Bridgestone J33R 460 but obviously a little more compact. A very nice dark grey finish. The sole is a high polish bright chrome with the familiar Cleveland Golf logo at the back. Very clean looking, no frills design from top to bottom. Simple and classic. Face height is perfect, not too deep not too shallow.

Performance/Playability: Here is where this club really shines. With all the fancy bells and whistles of the 910 and R11 series it seems Cleveland has been getting overlooked this year, which is a real shame because this driver flat out performs. I've been through more drivers in the last year than most golfers will use in a lifetime and I can say with complete honesty that this is my favorite one to date. I'm seeing a mid/high trajectory that flattens out and just goes. I was consistently outdriving my FT Tour by upwards of 20 yards in a few instances. I'd imagine this club is just a better fit for my swing. The shaft is smooth and stable and you know where the club is throughout the entire swing. Its a true point and shoot combination. By the end of my first round with it I was literally able to call my shots with this club.

Feel/Sound: Finally a driver that sounds like a driver. Solid, all titanium sound. Not the dull thud of the composite heads out there or the loud piercing, eardrum busting sound of several other heads being produced. The only time I noticed the TL310 getting a little high pitched was on toe hits, which is my miss with a driver. Feel is very subjective but for comparison sakes I'd say it feels very Titleist like, very solid with great feedback through the shaft into the hands. You really look forward to the rewarding feeling of a well struck shot with this club.

Overall: Color me impressed. This club wasn't even on my radar a month ago. I was mulling through review after review of the R11, 910 and RAZR Hawk series. I was reading as much info from as many different sites as possible and one name kept popping up, Cleveland. There were so many cases of guys walking into the shops to get fitted for a Titleist or a Taylormade but to their surprise ended up leaving with a new Cleveland driver.

The driver has always been my Achilles and for once in a long time I'm looking forward to the tee box. Nothing helps your golf swing better than confidence in your equipment and the TL310 has finally given me that on the teeing ground. It makes every part of my game better when I'm getting off the tee confidently.

In the end I was able to get a TL310 and a Mashie for less than the other drivers I was considering, so it was no-brainer decision and one of the best equipment decisions I've made in a very long time. You can't beat the value, which is great. But you also can't beat the performance, which is even greater.

Last edited:
Good stuff Littlepingman! Excellent little write up there!

great review littlepingman! I'm getting really excited to hit this club again, I just wish that golfers warehouse had some X-stiff options in stock.

edit: I'm going to be working on my driver this evening at my lesson and will definitely bring back some numbers of the TL310 compared to my Dymo2.

Good stuff Littlepingman! Excellent little write up there!

great review littlepingman! I'm getting really excited to hit this club again, I just wish that golfers warehouse had some X-stiff options in stock.

edit: I'm going to be working on my driver this evening at my lesson and will definitely bring back some numbers of the TL310 compared to my Dymo2.

Thanks. I plan to report back after I get a few more rounds under my belt. But needless to say I am giddy about this driver.

Good write up. A question if you have a minute.

In the Mashie thread I believe you said that you feared that the 59 gram shaft would be too light and that "slowing down" was not something you liked to do. Did you find you had to do that at all?

Good write up. A question if you have a minute.

In the Mashie thread I believe you said that you feared that the 59 gram shaft would be too light and that "slowing down" was not something you liked to do. Did you find you had to do that at all?

I was actually referring to the 59g shaft that came standard in the Mashie hybrid, since I'm accustomed to the 105g NVS hybrid shaft. That was my reason for ordering my Mashies with the 83g version shaft.

I've always preferred my driver shafts in the mid to upper 60g range. The Miyazaki 59 series driver shaft is actually listed at 63g in x flex according to the Miyazaki website so shaft weight isn't really much different than what I normally play in my driver. I didn't feel like there was any adjustment concerning tempo.

I was actually referring to the 59g shaft that came standard in the Mashie hybrid, since I'm accustomed to the 105g NVS hybrid shaft. That was my reason for ordering my Mashies with the 83g version shaft.

I've always preferred my driver shafts in the mid to upper 60g range. The Miyazaki 59 series driver shaft is actually listed at 63g in x flex according to the Miyazaki website so shaft weight isn't really much different than what I normally play in my driver. I didn't feel like there was any adjustment concerning tempo.

Gotcha. Thanks.

I believe that this is the best driver/shaft combination (Launcher Ultralite) when comparing dollar for dollar on the planet right now.

So I played one round with the 17*. It went fairly well with the 3w (with the 17*, it's basically a 4w with 3w shaft length). The first time I put it in play, I skied the tee shot about 80yds b/c I had the ball teed just a touch too high, so I had 235 slightly uphill to the pin. Tried to swing easy, the ball takes off and ropes in straight at the pin. It takes a crazy bounce left, and ends up on the backside collar of the green. it probably went 255 with the bounce! I hit it on a tight 6th teeshot, a dogleg left 14th over bunkers, and a strategic teeshot on the 16th over mounds protecting the direct line to the green. I made marginal contact on two of those tee shots and still the ball was in good shape with minimal distance lost. I like the club a lot so far, and it helped me shoot par that day. Can't wait to take it out again!

After I've played a little more with it I will offer a more in-depth review.

Last edited:
Back