Golf Digest WIDE open

Oliv

Reaction score
I stumbled upon this article, (http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tour...introducing-the-golf-digest-w-i-d-e-open.html) on golfdigest.com. Basically they hold a tournament with a 15in wide cup instead of regular the 4 1/4 in. The goal is to make golf easier and more appealing to attract new golfers. This sounds kind of fun and would like to try though I'm not sure that the difficulty of the game is what keeps non golfers from trying golf?

hmmm... not a fan of the idea. Maybe on a par three for kids? Otherwise I think I prefer missing on a regular green than making it into a giant hole.

I stumbled upon this article, (http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tour...introducing-the-golf-digest-w-i-d-e-open.html) on golfdigest.com. Basically they hold a tournament with a 15in wide cup instead of regular the 4 1/4 in. The goal is to make golf easier and more appealing to attract new golfers. This sounds kind of fun and would like to try though I'm not sure that the difficulty of the game is what keeps non golfers from trying golf?

I think it'd be fun for totally un-serious company tournaments. I know this was discussed here before, but on the flip side when the course doesn't replace teh 4.25" cups after the tournament, and how that can be annoying to people.

That's making golf too easy. You know how many chip ins, and drained putts there are gonna be from crazy distances? It just makes the game unrealistic. I just don't like how some people aren't accepting golf for what it is right now and are always trying to change it. This is how the sport was brought up and it's the tradition of it that makes this sport so real. If these new golfers don't have the determination or drive to get better and need a huge cup size advantage then maybe they shouldn't be playing golf in the first place.

I wouldn't ever play a course that had 15 inch cups.

They still got to get it on the green though.....
But I kind of like that. My mother is a fairly consistent player. An average par 4 for her goes like this: Driver, Hybrid,Hybrid,Chip on, 2 putt.
With a larger hole it does give a better chance of shaving off an extra stroke for her. And it would provide a little more excitement I supoose for her.

I wouldn't want to play with that hole though.

I do not like the 15inch idea but it would be fun to play in a tourney that had like a 6inch or 7inch cup.

I just don't like how some people aren't accepting golf for what it is right now and are always trying to change it. This is how the sport was brought up and it's the tradition of it that makes this sport so real.

You and me both, my young Manitobian. It's not supposed to be easy.

Kevin

I'm not a golf purist but I think the 15in cup isn't right. What makes golf attractive (and addicting)to me are the challenges it poses and the endless and unattainable quest for perfection. There is little more exhilarating than draining 20 ft putt and the larger cup would just make it "oh humm". It would be fun to try but like others, I'll stick with the regular cup size.

I'm not a golf purist but I think the 15in cup isn't right. What makes golf attractive (and addicting)to me are the challenges it poses and the endless and unattainable quest for perfection. There is little more exhilarating than draining 20 ft putt and the larger cup would just make it "oh humm". It would be fun to try but like others, I'll stick with the regular cup size.

Exactly, and if newer golfers stuck with the game they would realize that, instead of quitting and giving up before they hit the 5th hole.

I'd play it, if I had to have a beer per hole. Then I think the hole would be about right come the sixth hole or so.

And it would still take some foursomes at my club over 8 minutes per green to finish putting out!

I'd play it, if I had to have a beer per hole. Then I think the hole would be about right come the sixth hole or so.

With a beer a hole, after the front nine, seeing three holes would give you 45 inches to aim at. I would be down for that. We actually used to do a beer a hole in college. One every hole and on the par 3's you had to shotgun the beer on the tee box, throw the can down and swing. No practice swings allowed. Made for an interesting back nine.

A 15 inch cup in golf is the same as the gutter bumpers in bowling.
Not a fan for regular play, but as a gimmick game once in awhile....just ok.

I played in a charity event last year that had a 15" cup like that on one hole. It was really kind of funny as everyone was so worried they might miss it and sure enough most did. There was just the extra pressure of your peers. That was the one main putt of the day that I was happy I made, lol.

It might be fun once or twice. But I like the game just the way it is.

From the iPhone.

Back